• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Christian Fundy Quotes

Started by Puke, December 04, 2008, 08:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Bullshit.

I don't think either of you have got'n into each others minds and you could not possibly know what makes the other tick!

(If someone takes the bet I'll give you five bucks each.)  (No one else can see this part if I put it in brackets... right?)

Puke

Way to not just laugh at something funny.

EVERYTHING IS NOT A DEBATE!  ::)

Jesus

Pat K

Quote from: Puke on December 05, 2008, 05:14 AM NHFT
Way to not just laugh at something funny.

EVERYTHING IS NOT A DEBATE!  ::)

Jesus

EVERY THING IS SO A DEBATE!
ZEUS

Russell Kanning

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 04, 2008, 08:28 PM NHFT
There's a faction of fundamentalists that believe that the King James translation was "divinely" inspired, so it's as "perfect" as the original Hebrew and Greek writing. All he's saying is that the King James translation of the Bible shouldn't be further translated into another language, because such translation would no doubt not have the same divine inspiration behind it.

Why the King James version is considered to be as it is I have no idea.
they also prefer to pray in King James english.
of course if you were to translate a translation ... it looses something

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Caleb on December 04, 2008, 10:44 PM NHFT
Hmmm. I've never met any fundies like that. 
I have many times ... different levels of course

I had someone trying to convince me that that period's english was superior, so the bible should just stay in that version of english

Russell Kanning

they are both fundy's in their own way ... so they have to get down to the details

grasshopper

http://www.wycliffe.org/
  So these people are wasting their time?  I went to Columbia in the 80s and these people go int the forests, the rain forests risk death to learn the Kogis and other jungle anchient dialects of whatever and then writ a neqw testament in the native language of the tribes and then leave them alone and let the tribes decide.
  This jackass would burn people and stone people I'm guessing.

dalebert

When I started reading the Bible from front to back, that's when I thoroughly lost my faith. I had been kind of in a gray area before that point. The version I read was translated into modern English. That made it sort of brutally honest in a way. I think a lot of people are able to write off a lot of it and just chalk it up to an issue of misunderstanding.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: dalebert on December 05, 2008, 09:56 AM NHFT
When I started reading the Bible from front to back, that's when I thoroughly lost my faith. I had been kind of in a gray area before that point. The version I read was translated into modern English. That made it sort of brutally honest in a way. I think a lot of people are able to write off a lot of it and just chalk it up to an issue of misunderstanding.

For me it started with Matthew V:16, followed immediately by Matthew VI:1-7.  If the Revealed Word of God contains inconsistencies, it's not the Revealed Word of God.  The quickly ensuing shark-jump was infant damnation.

Russell Kanning

When I started reading the Bible from front to back, that's when I thoroughly lost my faith.
in what?

David

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on December 05, 2008, 11:30 AM NHFT

For me it started with Matthew V:16, followed immediately by Matthew VI:1-7.  If the Revealed Word of God contains inconsistencies, it's not the Revealed Word of God.  The quickly ensuing shark-jump was infant damnation.
I don't understand the 'shark-jump.
This?
16Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 6
1Take heed that ye do not your righteousness before men, to be seen of them: else ye have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. 2When therefore thou doest alms, sound not a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have received their reward. 3But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4that thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret shall recompense thee.

5And when ye pray, ye shall not be as the hypocrites: for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have received their reward. 6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thine inner chamber, and having shut thy door, pray to thy Father who is in secret, and thy Father who seeth in secret shall recompense thee. 7And in praying use not vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

My understanding of this is to be a good person so to honour God, not to be honoured yourself.  For example, do most parents give their kids gifts at christmas time because they love their kids, or because they want the pride of giving the 'best' gift in the neighborhood.  Jesus was not an objectivist.  He believed in Honouring God, and in altuism, and was very critical of hypocracy, specifically that of the theocratic rulers of the day, the Pharisees. 
I am not trying to debate you in or out of a particular belief, but I find the selections you posted to be odd.   :)  They seem pretty straight forward to me.  Context is everything. 

Russell Kanning

dalebert

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 05, 2008, 12:04 PM NHFT
When I started reading the Bible from front to back, that's when I thoroughly lost my faith.
in what?

At the time, in the religion I was raised under. I no longer considered myself Christian at that point and self-labeled as agnostic for the most part for a long time thereafter. I think it was conversations with Caleb that helped me realize I was better described as "atheist". Oh, and I recall now that it was called "The Living Bible", I'm pretty sure.

Puke

Quote from: Pat K on December 05, 2008, 05:22 AM NHFT

OH GOD DAMMIT!
LAUGH! LAUGH I SAY!!

MMMMMMMMM!

Pat K

Quote from: Puke on December 05, 2008, 03:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on December 05, 2008, 05:22 AM NHFT

OH GOD DAMMIT!
LAUGH! LAUGH I SAY!!