• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Christian Fundy Quotes

Started by Puke, December 04, 2008, 08:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: Caleb on December 04, 2008, 10:44 PM NHFT
Hmmm. I've never met any fundies like that.  There's a lot of fundamentalists who like the King James Version, but not because it is supposed to be divinely inspired.

Almost all fundies and Pentecostals in this part of the country take it as an indisputable element of faith that God wrote the Bible in 1611 in the King's English.

I don't know if it's cause-and-effect, but there is a strong correlation between the "KJV only" people, and anti-Catholicism.

Caleb

Quote from: dalebert on December 05, 2008, 12:50 PM NHFT
At the time, in the religion I was raised under. I no longer considered myself Christian at that point and self-labeled as agnostic for the most part for a long time thereafter. I think it was conversations with Caleb that helped me realize I was better described as "atheist". Oh, and I recall now that it was called "The Living Bible", I'm pretty sure.

LOL ... I don't think pushing you to atheism was my intent.  ;D

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: David on December 05, 2008, 12:24 PM NHFT

I don't understand the 'shark-jump.
This?

Yes, that.  I say it's inconsistent, and I say the hell with it!

Sam A. Robrin

I recall now that it was called "The Living Bible", I'm pretty sure.

I remember The Living Bible as part of the whole "Now Generation for Jesus" phenomenon of the early 1970s.  I was recently unable to resist picking up a copy with a photograph of--brace yourself--a clown on the spine!

Pat K

Quote from: Caleb on December 05, 2008, 08:56 PM NHFT
At the time, in the religion I was raised under. I no longer considered myself Christian at that point and self-labeled as agnostic for the most part for a long time thereafter. I think it was conversations with Caleb that helped me realize I was better described as "atheist". Oh, and I recall now that it was called "The Living Bible", I'm pretty sure.

Caleb turning folks into athiests since 2007.  ;D

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Pat K on December 05, 2008, 10:23 PM NHFT

Caleb turning folks into athiests since 2007.  ;D

Caleb really brings out the illogical nonsense of religion... forcing people to accept the irrationality of a god.

Russell Kanning

maybe it was Caleb in his king hippy costume

dalebert

Before you lose any sleep over it, you didn't actually change my beliefs. You just helped me to better define them.
:D

MTPorcupine3

Just came across this one:

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.
Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they
consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move
against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. -Aristotle,
philosopher (384-322 BCE)

David

Quote from: KBCraig on December 05, 2008, 05:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on December 04, 2008, 10:44 PM NHFT
Hmmm. I've never met any fundies like that.  There's a lot of fundamentalists who like the King James Version, but not because it is supposed to be divinely inspired.

Almost all fundies and Pentecostals in this part of the country take it as an indisputable element of faith that God wrote the Bible in 1611 in the King's English.

I don't know if it's cause-and-effect, but there is a strong correlation between the "KJV only" people, and anti-Catholicism.

Historically for centuries the Catholic Church prohibited the latin bibles to be reprinted in English, or any other language.  For the same reasons as the fundamentalists.  King James openly defied it and apparently became very popular. 

NH Native

There is some mildy bad language, so it may not be safe for work.

David