• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship

Started by Ryan McGuire, December 18, 2008, 07:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan McGuire

Did you know that the federal government has an easy to read website where they actually explain the law to you in plain English stating how you can be "rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government?"

I was surprised! (don't worry, this link has the referrer removed)

I personally feel that it would be pretty stupid to renounce "your" US citizenship. For one, you'd have to get a visa in order to legally come back into the US (you have to leave to renounce in the first place), and second of all I don't think its even a very principled thing to do -- as far as I'm concerned it's their citizenship, not mine. The burden of proof that I'm a member of their not-so-little "protection club" is theirs, not mine. I'll just continue living my peaceful, autarchic life :punk: myself thank you very much.

I was just surprised that they made a bulleted list showing precisely how to do it.... almost.. as if they wanted people to do it.

Free libertarian

I'd like diplomatic immunity....I'm from another planet, does that count? 

doobie

QuoteA person who wants to renounce U.S. citizenship cannot decide to retain some of the privileges of citizenship, as this would be logically inconsistent with the concept of renunciation. Thus, such a person can be said to lack a full understanding of renouncing citizenship and/or lack the necessary intent to renounce citizenship, and the Department of State will not approve a loss of citizenship in such instances.

QuoteAlso, persons who wish to renounce U.S. citizenship should also be aware that the fact that a person has renounced U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on his or her U.S. tax or military service obligations (contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information).

MMM, yeah....  "You can't retrain any privileges, but we retain the privileges to tax you."

AntonLee

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: doobie on December 18, 2008, 07:56 PM NHFT
QuoteA person who wants to renounce U.S. citizenship cannot decide to retain some of the privileges of citizenship, as this would be logically inconsistent with the concept of renunciation. Thus, such a person can be said to lack a full understanding of renouncing citizenship and/or lack the necessary intent to renounce citizenship, and the Department of State will not approve a loss of citizenship in such instances.

QuoteAlso, persons who wish to renounce U.S. citizenship should also be aware that the fact that a person has renounced U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on his or her U.S. tax or military service obligations (contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information).

MMM, yeah....  "You can't retrain any privileges, but we retain the privileges to tax you."
Most countries tax residents regardless of citizenship... and tax revenues derived in their territory regardless of residential status.
Not much different than Mass or Maine currently do.

J’raxis 270145

If you renounce your citizenship, you can't buy firearms from an FFL anymore. There's a question on the ATF form about it.

Lloyd Danforth

doobie

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 22, 2008, 03:51 AM NHFT
If you renounce your citizenship, you can't buy firearms from an FFL anymore. There's a question on the ATF form about it.

But are your previously legally owned firearms now illegal for you to posses?

Lloyd Danforth

You won't care.  You'll be too busy trying to get a 'Green Card'

Russell Kanning

i might do it ... but I would have to go to another place to start the process

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: doobie on December 22, 2008, 06:06 AM NHFT

No idea. I just know what it asks on the ATF form.

KBCraig

Quote from: doobie on December 22, 2008, 06:06 AM NHFT

Yes, because you wouldn't be a legal U.S. resident.

John Edward Mercier

Not sure. You would no longer be a US citizen, but would/could still be a US resident.

EthanLeeVita