• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Guess who is *not* going to the Liberty Forum!

Started by orion, December 06, 2008, 09:26 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

orion

I am. I'm 17 years old, and for my 18th birthday my dad promised to take me anywhere in the country. Naturally, I chose the liberty forum.

I just spoke with him about it... it ended badly. I started reading off the keynote speakers, starting with Heller, and my dad said that this sounded like it was a cover for the NRA. I assured him that it was not, but he said that my "young mind" is easily influenced by people (that pissed me off).

"Dad: This sounds like some sort of Libertarian thing"
"Me: Oh yeah? What's wrong with Libertarianism?"
<silence>

"Dad: Your brother is going to be going to Washington DC for college and you want more guns there? There is enough crime as it is!"
"Mom: You want to give guns to all people!? That would put more guns in bad people's hands!"
"Me: Guns reduce crime."
"Dad: That's a load of bullshit."
"Mom: How would YOU feel if your brother was killed by a handgun? I bet you'd change your tune then!"
"Me: Look, mom, when you have citizens who are armed a criminal is going to see that and think twice -- Mom: YOU'RE RAISING MY BLOOD PRESSURE!"

"Dad: Look... this doesn't sound right."
"Me: <reading off keynote speakers> -- John Taylor Gatto author of ..."
"Dad: This sounds like a cult! They are for guns and against schooling!? This is bad news."
"Me: No it's not a cult. They just don't believe in compulsory schooling."
"Dad: Well everyone needs an education!"
"Me: They are not against education. They support homeschooling and private schools."
"Dad: So? They can do that today."
"Me: No, all across the country homeschooling is being outlawed."
<silence>

"Dad: I think you look up to these people because they are lawyers and they are smart."
"Mom: It's the smart people you have to worry about! ... not the stupid ones."
"Me: What's wrong with smart people?"
"Dad: They can easily influence you. These people don't sound good at all."

"Mom: Don't make Dad go to something like this, he won't have any fun."
"Dad: I don't agree with the things these people are saying. I mean for Christ's sake they are for guns and against education! I don't think you should be going to this."

I dislike how condescending they are to me. It's my dad's money, so I obviously can't force him... I do, however, find my dad going back on his word to be distasteful.

Friday

That blows.   >:(

Where do you live, Orion?  Maybe you could work out transportation and lodging with other Porcupines?  I believe there are student discounts to attend LF.

orion

Quote from: Friday on December 06, 2008, 09:31 AM NHFT
Where do you live, Orion?  Maybe you could work out transportation and lodging with other Porcupines?  I believe there are student discounts to attend LF.

Central Jersey. My dad won't let me go by myself even if I pay for it. He thinks I could get kidnapped and that a responsible adult he knows should accompany me.

You know, one day I am going to move out of this egregious environment and find sanctuary in New Hampshire where I can be free of the statist vitriol my parents spew out.

anthonybpugh

How many boards are you crying about this?  OHHH my daddy won't let me go to camp.  It ain't fair.  WAAHHHHHHH.

dalebert

slim

What if you ask your Dad if you could still go to the liberty forum. He would not need to attend. There is things he can do in NH while you are at the Liberty Forum. He could go skiing, tour some maple sugar houses, go to Maine for lobster.

I don't know exactly everyone's resume but I don't think anyone that is speaking at the Liberty Forum is a "lawyer" or as my father calls them "lieyers"

The question from your mother "what if your brother was killed by a gun?" I would have said it is not the gun that kills a person it is another person that pulls the trigger that kills the person. In James Bond movie the bad guy puts 007 on a table and starts a laser that is going to slice through 007 was it the laser that was going to kill 007 or was it the bad guy that started the laser?

Guns are just tools, just like a hammer is a tool. The tool does not have a choice the person wielding the tool is the only one that has a choice. Tools can be used for good actions or bad actions, a gun could be used to stick up a mom and pop corner store or it could be used by the mom and pop to defend their property from the people wanting to stick up the owners.

orion

Quote from: anthonybpugh on December 06, 2008, 10:08 AM NHFT
How many boards are you crying about this?  OHHH my daddy won't let me go to camp.  It ain't fair.  WAAHHHHHHH.

I can understand how my original post might seem like a bunch of crying, but I am not making a big deal about it IRL. We are making alternate plans to visit whichever college I get accepted to.

FTL_Ian

I say take your savings (you do have savings, right?), and move to NH on your 18th.   ;)

orion

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 06, 2008, 10:34 AM NHFT
I say take your savings (you do have savings, right?), and move to NH on your 18th.   ;)

I have both silver bullion and Federal Reserve notes.

Giggan

Quote"Dad: Your brother is going to be going to Washington DC for college and you want more guns there? There is enough crime as it is!"

I lol'd there.

Sorry to hear the rents are being garb. I say keep trying, but if it turns out you can't go, NH will be around for some time, and we're not going anywhere. Good luck.

anthonybpugh

Quote from: dalebert on December 06, 2008, 10:10 AM NHFT
Ignore Anthony like the rest of us do.  ;D

You can't ignore me.  I am....Unignorable. 

Sam A. Robrin

I'm finding that preparing for the move is putting me in mind of my migration to San Francisco at 18 in 1972.  It's dredging up all sorts of jetsam from the bottom of my brain pan--including a lot of incidents very like those you describe.  I don't know how public I care to get with it, but if  you want to send me a private message, I'd probably be a bit more forthcoming.
How far off is your 18th birthday?  How far away do you think you want to get?  Keep in mind that college will only be a longer leash. . . .

anthonybpugh

Maybe if you hold your breath for a long time they will give in.

FTL_Ian

Why are you going to college?  Is it worth it to have these people controlling you the entire time?

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: anthonybpugh on December 06, 2008, 10:08 AM NHFT

Are you his dad under a pseudonym?  The unreasoning dismissiveness sounds about the same . . .