• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Guess who is *not* going to the Liberty Forum!

Started by orion, December 06, 2008, 09:26 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonybpugh

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on December 06, 2008, 11:21 AM NHFT
Quote from: anthonybpugh on December 06, 2008, 10:08 AM NHFT
How many boards are you crying about this?  OHHH my daddy won't let me go to camp.  It ain't fair.  WAAHHHHHHH.

Are you his dad under a pseudonym?  The unreasoning dismissiveness sounds about the same . . .

Hell no.  No kid of mine would be this big of a cry baby. 

Russell Kanning

Quote from: orion on December 06, 2008, 09:26 AM NHFT
I just spoke with him about it... it ended badly. I started reading off the keynote speakers, starting with Heller, and my dad said that this sounded like it was a cover for the NRA.
You can tell him that many attendees hate the NRA.

You can tell him you want to go to vegas and run wild. Maybe Liberty Forum will be cheap and safer in his mind. :)

AntonLee

Dave Ridley

authoritarian parents... creating hardcore libertarians faster than the rest of us ever could

orion

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on December 06, 2008, 11:08 AM NHFT
How far off is your 18th birthday?  How far away do you think you want to get?  Keep in mind that college will only be a longer leash. . . .

I turn 18 in March, a few weeks after the liberty forum. I have the ability to do college, and in order to do R&D I will need a degree in biomed.

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 06, 2008, 11:20 AM NHFT
Why are you going to college?  Is it worth it to have these people controlling you the entire time?

I love biology, and I want to do R&D at perhaps a pharmaceutical company. I am also interested in being a paramedic, but their pay is absolutely horrible.

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 06, 2008, 12:59 PM NHFT
You can tell him that many attendees hate the NRA.

I did not know that. I will have to remember that for next time.

K. Darien Freeheart

I love Joss Whedon's take on "family" because it's identical to my own.

Family is the circle of people you have close to you. Genetics doesn't factor in.

On that note, I fell that same way when I hear you call FTL, honestly. I think it's kind of unfair of you to expect your parent's money and then expect to be treated as if it's not your parent's money. You're an adult and they don't recognize it yet, but at the same time, adult responsibility means adult consiquences.

Yes, it's bullshit that he went back on his word. The question is, do you continue to tie your future to someone who's obviously hostile to your belief system and unreliable?

I support Ian's solution. GTFO the moment you have the choice.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: orion on December 06, 2008, 09:26 AM NHFT
"Mom: How would YOU feel if your brother was killed by a handgun? I bet you'd change your tune then!"

"How would you feel if my brother saved his own life by shooting someone trying to kill him?"

Organjic

Im 24 and I had this exact same conversation with my parents.

Jan

Orion...Work on your parents - in a mature, adult way.  Talk with them.  Provide them with reading material, websites, DVDs.  My son started 'working' on his dad and I when he was 15.  He never whined and bitched.  Just talked - sometimes preached - to us.  It took two years, but we finally came around.  He's 20 now and has been doing his own thing for three years.  We actually look to him for advice now.

Jan

Orion...I forgot to mention that my son convinced me to go to the liberty forum with him for the first time two  years ago.  We went again last year.  It was an enlightening and empowering experience for me. 

Giggan

Another good thing to point out...if the philosophy of liberty is illogical, they shouldn't fear their intellegent son being influenced by something which is not productive.

Tell them it indicates their lack of trust in your ability to make decisions for yourself by preventing you from being able to learn more.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Giggan on December 07, 2008, 01:26 PM NHFT
Another good thing to point out...if the philosophy of liberty is illogical, they shouldn't fear their intellegent son being influenced by something which is not productive.

Tell them it indicates their lack of trust in your ability to make decisions for yourself by preventing you from being able to learn more.

Logic never works when the entire issue is tacitly about exercising control.*

RichW

Quote from: orion on December 06, 2008, 09:39 AM NHFTMy dad won't let me go by myself even if I pay for it. He thinks I could get kidnapped and that a responsible adult he knows should accompany me.

Tell him that kidnappings are very rare in NH because many people carry guns to defend themselves.  You might also mention that if a band of wild kidnappers should try to apprehend you while on your way to NH, that you would feel much safer with a gun in your hand than in the company of responsible (yet unarmed) adult. 

KBCraig

Hell, I'm 45 and I still haven't told my mother that I'm moving!

neggy

The Heller decision, like it or not ( not in your dads case) is a landmark decision. To go hear Heller speak would be like going to hear Dr. King speak. He is a historical figure.

As for the NRA, they did everything they could to derail the Heller case. They have a person on their Board IIRC that advocates limiting our rights to keep and bear arms. You can be Pro 2A and anti NRA.

I may not agree with Hillary Clinton, but if she was speaking and the topic was something I was interested in I might go and listen.

The Heller decision is huge and is now part of American history. When Heller comes to NH next spring I'd like to go hear him speak.