• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Volunteer Work in Keene

Started by dalebert, December 07, 2008, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I'm participating in a event on Wednesday where people are encouraged to take off work and do some volunteer work. Does anyone have a suggestion for something in Keene that does good things? Ideally I'd prefer something secular, but I'll consider religious charities in a pinch as long as they're helping people effectively. In fact, I'd prefer to base my decision on their effectiveness at a higher priority than whether they're religious or not, but if they're secular AND effective, that would be just swell!

neggy

Got wheels?

Call the Cancer Society, or local Seasoned Citizens agency and offer to drive someone to a medical appointment.

dalebert

I called National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and they said their volunteers have to go through 9 weeks of training that happens twice a year. The lady referred me to either Red Cross or the local senior center. The Senior Center website link takes me to Keene city government page which was an immediate turn off. I'm not sure, but the senior center back in Culver City, CA was tax-funded and I really want to avoid something like that. Isn't the Red Cross purely private? It may be difficult to find something that gets no tax funds whatsoever, but I want to find something that at least gets little of their funding that way.

neggy

If there is an animal shelter near you that could use someone for a day try that.

Even if it is just to give the animals some human contact and get them out for a walk it will help them

dalebert

It's very appealing but I'm allergic to dogs. The last time I went to a room full of dogs at the shelter with a friend, I was melting like the Wicked Witch of the West.

error

The American Red Cross is a Federal government-chartered corporation. They are deeply in bed with the feds in so many ways I would run out of room here trying to list them all. But you can start with FEMA. The Red Cross is just as bureaucratic and bungled their disaster response to Katrina almost as badly.

Jennifer

Quote from: error on December 08, 2008, 02:55 PM NHFT
The American Red Cross is a Federal government-chartered corporation. They are deeply in bed with the feds in so many ways I would run out of room here trying to list them all. But you can start with FEMA. The Red Cross is just as bureaucratic and bungled their disaster response to Katrina almost as badly.

On the other hand, the Red Cross works with hospitals to deliver blood to their Blood Banks, multiple times a day, on time and without any trouble.

Jennifer

Be the Difference in the Life of a Child; for a longer commitment, that actually sounds interesting. "Represent a child in court..." I wonder if they'd sack you if they found out you were a freestater. >:D

dalebert

Red Cross was less difficult than the elderly services place but still wanted me to fill out an app and do an interview. I got set up to do some volunteer work at the Community Kitchen in Keene from 1-4pm this Wednesday with just a phone call. That was refreshing. Anyone want to join me? Just call 603-352-3200 and see if they want more help.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: neggy on December 07, 2008, 09:47 PM NHFT
Got wheels?

Call the Cancer Society, or local Seasoned Citizens agency and offer to drive someone to a medical appointment.

And the American Cancer Society is behind the smoking bans going in place all over the country (along with a few other groups like the American Lung Association). Not someone I'd want to help at all.

KBCraig

Quote from: Jennifer on December 08, 2008, 03:16 PM NHFT
On the other hand, the Red Cross works with hospitals to deliver blood to their Blood Banks, multiple times a day, on time and without any trouble.

They're efficient in that, because they make a shitload of money by selling that donated blood.

Kat Kanning

The soup kitchen always needs help and takes people with no training.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on December 09, 2008, 11:23 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jennifer on December 08, 2008, 03:16 PM NHFT

They're efficient in that, because they make a shitload of money by selling that donated blood.

Wow, I didn't know they sold the blood.   I'm not surprised though.  :(

Pat K

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 09, 2008, 11:39 AM NHFT
The soup kitchen always needs help and takes people with no training.

What! Are they insane ! Untrained soup people!
My god does the legislature know of this?

Lloyd Danforth