• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The Power of Community(Bristol) - Kickstarting Local Currency Initiatives

Started by jaqeboy, December 10, 2008, 01:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

The Alternatives Expo has organized 2 Community Currency workshops on this Boston Tea Party '08 weekend:

Boston - Saturday 13Dec and this event in:
Bristol, New-Hampshire on Monday, 15 December 2008:
The Power of Community
Kick-starting Local Currency Initiatives
Ivy's Spice of Life Restaurant - (directions)
8 Central Square
Bristol, New-Hampshire 03222
(603) 744-3210
10AM-6PM (schedule details will be updated at the AltExpo website)
Networking and party afterwards

Sessions include:
Liberty Dollar
Free Lakota Bank
Time-based money systems
Shire Silver
Community Outreach
Consensus meeting skills
Community interface
"Nuts and bolts" of local money
Videos:
Money as Debt
Zeitgeist Addendum (money section)
and others

Be sure to attend the Boston Tea Party 08 event Sunday at Faneuil Hall
volunteers are needed for all events and host lodging offers are appreciated for out-of-town speakers and attenders -
We have a special need for a videographer to record the proceedings.
write seminars@AltExpo.org if you can volunteer to help in any way, including carpooling.
Donations at the events are appreciated to cover costs.

This seminar will include many things covered Saturday in Boston, but will have several additional features. Be sure to bring friends you think should learn more about how the money system works and that would like to learn an "alternative."

jaqeboy

Here's a flyer for this event (attached). Please email around, print and circulate. This will be a helpful hands-on training on how to get started with community currencies. This is an exceedingly timely topic right now, so it's a chance to generate a lot of interest in our local communities.

Fluff and Stuff

Jaqe, are you or Ron going to the Boston Tea Party on 12/14?  If so, can I get a ride :)  If not, can I print out a few of the flyers and put them on the FSP table at the Boston Tea Party?  If someone asks about what is going on with local money in NH I'll make sure to mention Shire Silver and Shire Hours and hand them your flyer.

Bald Eagle

Ivy found a typo in that flyer.  Attached is the corrected one.  (Sorry Jack.)

Friday

Not a whole lot of advance notice on this workshop.  :-\

Who are the speakers for the organizations listed?

Fluff and Stuff

check the facebook event page for more info,
search events for this if the link doesn't work, The Power of Community: Kick-starting Local Currency Initiatives
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=43124457166

It's the Alt Expo baby, things move fast.

Oh, and this is from the flyer,

QuoteHighlights
• Special Guest Speaker: Kevin Innes presenting on "Liberty
Dollar", "Free Lakota Bank", and "consensus meeting skills".
• Special Guest Speaker: Ron Helwig from Shire Silver
• Special Guest Speaker: Jack Shimek, presenting on "Shire Hours;
a Ripple Pay system" and other Time-Based money sytems

firecracker joe

ive been wanting to stop at ivys spice of life sounds like a good day for that.

Friday

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on December 11, 2008, 12:08 AM NHFT
check the facebook event page for more info,
search events for this if the link doesn't work, The Power of Community: Kick-starting Local Currency Initiatives
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=43124457166

It's the Alt Expo baby, things move fast.

Oh, and this is from the flyer,

QuoteHighlights
• Special Guest Speaker: Kevin Innes presenting on "Liberty
Dollar", "Free Lakota Bank", and "consensus meeting skills".
• Special Guest Speaker: Ron Helwig from Shire Silver
• Special Guest Speaker: Jack Shimek, presenting on "Shire Hours;
a Ripple Pay system" and other Time-Based money sytems
Ah, thanks.

jaqeboy

This event sounds like it's going to be really popular with the locals, especially the Shire Hours system. Everyone ought to sign up for a Shire Hours account before going up and bring a laptop. Wi-fi service there will let you follow along with the instructions on how to really make it work well for you. You can start buying and selling things at the workshop with Shire Hours!

Also, car-pooling. Free Ride has been started, but isn't used much yet. It's sort of like Shire Hours in that the more people that use it, the more useful it becomes. Try signing up there, too. http://freeride.erideshare.com, then use the password "free". You have to sign up for an eRideShare account first, but that takes about 30 seconds. It's a cool system - some have complained about the interface, but just write to them with your suggestions, and I'll bet they could change a few things.

Show me the (Alt) Money!

jaqeboy

Oh, yeah, it's ShireHours.com - just get the account started and we'll go over how to use it at the Boston workshop and again at the Bristol workshop.

mackler

Anyone driving from/through Manchester to the Bristol event?  I could share a ride.  PM me.

Barterer

Jack, thank you so much for putting on these presentations!  You've more than doubled the number of users on ShireHours already.. I'm sure in the coming week we'll have at least 70.  Great talking to you on the phone, and feel free to call with any new questions that come up at the Bristol event.. wish I could be there.

Fluff and Stuff

So Jaqe did show up at the Boston Tea Party and from what I could tell everyone had a good time.  I cannot go to Bristol because I have to work on my car but have fun guys.  I'm going to look into these shire hours.

jaqeboy

I couldn't get anything posted for the last couple of days due to being dislocated (power outage) and not being able to figure out how to get online at the Boston Public Library (through their hurdles and filters).

Up in Bristol now after the main workshop, watching one of the videos and getting dinner. We had probably 30 or so people and I extended credit to everyone here and suggested a donation of 3 Shire Hours for my talk and Kevin Innes suggests 3 hours, - Ron Helwig has already left, but I'll send out a newslettery report with his email address, too, so attenders can contribute.

Over the weekend in Boston, we got 5 areas hot to start local currencies in their areas: Boston, Boston North Suburbs, North Jersey, Worcester, and (my mind is so busy, I can't remember the 5th one - a symptom of 3 full days of events and crashing on people's couches since I've got no power at home.) We're going to start a Yahoo or Google group to get the dialog going and plans are for the AltExpo to start listing and indexing different local currencies for comparison.

We are having a party here with some free-stater beer paid for partly with local currencies. Kev is out on the beer run and now and I think the brewer is going to join us after 9 when he stops bottling. Come on up and join us.

Barterer, you can probably watch the account list grow from your back room view, eh? Thanks for setting up this cool system. I've got some feedback for you - maybe should post that on the Shire Hours thread, eh?

Barterer

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 15, 2008, 04:50 PM NHFT
Barterer, you can probably watch the account list grow from your back room view, eh? Thanks for setting up this cool system. I've got some feedback for you - maybe should post that on the Shire Hours thread, eh?
Muahahahaaa  >:D  We're pushing 60.  I'll keep an eye on the ShireHours thread for more suggestions.
Thanks,
John