• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What We Are Trying To Do With This Section

Started by pcwallis, August 23, 2005, 10:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

pcwallis

I would like to take a minute or two, to explain what we are trying to do with this section called Business and Job Networking.

First, this section is open to anyone who has an idea for a start up or to expand their business in New Hampshire.  Said business will most likely be hiring like minded people, such as ourselves.  Just start your own topic in this section.

First, like minded people who have job skills, and want and need work in New Hampshire, should feel free to enter their background in an outline form either in the Post Your Skills topic or start your own topic.

[I consider both business expand, start ups and job seekers to be first in line, it was not a type-o.  One can not live without the other.]

The intent is to have a working on going relationship between business and job seekers of like minded Liberty people, that want to start or expand a business or find a job in New Hampshire.

I hope that this forum will provide a source where like minded Liberty people can share their skills to make the trip to New Hampshire a little more easier.

Let's start planning to move !!!

Phil Wallis
Wisconsin

[JUST BECAUSE I START A TOPIC DOESN'T MEAN I WILL BE MAKING A MARKET IN THAT POSTED TOPIC.  I AM JUST SUGGESTING TOPIC START UP BUSINESSES FOR OTHERS TO RUN WITH.]

Friday

Phil, it's great to see someone putting some energy into this. But I really have to take issue with you locking threads a mere 48 hours after they are begun.  ??? It's kind of missing the whole point of an Internet discussion forum. Do you really want to rule out potential employees/investors/business partners who may not happen to read a thread by the due dates you arbitrarily set?

I wanted to contribute to the bookstore thread, but because I didn't take a look at it until 8:45PM on your due date, I'm apparently SOL.  :P

pcwallis

Friday !
No go back and read my post on confirming who wants in.  You still have time.

What I have found on forums is that there is way too much talk and no, yes no action taken on any project.  Having said this the topic will remain open.  Just because one group starts a business, does not mean that another group can not start the same business four months or a year from now.  You may not like the group of people in this first group and may want to form your own group.   All I am doing is moving people to make a decision to start a project or not start a project.  Talk is fine but action in starting a project and seeing it come together is better.   

Michael Fisher

Quote from: pcwallis on August 23, 2005, 08:11 PM NHFT
? What I have found on forums is that there is way too much talk and no, yes no action taken on any project.

Not on this forum.

Lex

Quote from: pcwallis on August 23, 2005, 10:16 AM NHFT
The intent is to have a working on going relationship between business and job seekers of like minded Liberty people, that want to start or expand a business or find a job in New Hampshire.

pcwallis - We talked about having a specific application for this purpose a few months ago over the phone. I am actually in the process of working on it as we speak. I also understand that I will have some competition with Seth who says he is working with you on something. He mentioned that you have plans but they are not publicly available. Is there anychance you can share them on this forum? Or should we start a forum specifically dedicated to building a online job market system?

What I have done already:

1. Purchased two domain names (nhjobmarket.com and fspjobs.com) and setup the server.
2. Put together a layout for the website.
3. Designed the database and coded it.
4. Started on the application code.

I hope to have something ready in a few weeks.

I understand that Seth and yourself are way ahead of me (from what he told me) but unfortunately it seems like Seth wants to keep it a secret. I was wondering if you had the same feeling or if you were open to discussing this openly in a thread so that everyone would have input.

Thanks - Lex

pcwallis

Nobody can tell you what to do or not to do.    If you use one of the domain names, I know you know which one it is you will have a big problem.   If you want to ask for suggestions or for help that is what this forum is all about.  Let the Free Market Work.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: eukreign on August 25, 2005, 05:58 PM NHFT
What I have done already:

1. Purchased two domain names (nhjobmarket.com and fspjobs.com) and setup the server.
2. Put together a layout for the website.
3. Designed the database and coded it.
4. Started on the application code.

I understand that Seth and yourself are way ahead of me (from what he told me) but unfortunately it seems like Seth wants to keep it a secret. I was wondering if you had the same feeling or if you were open to discussing this openly in a thread so that everyone would have input.

Thanks - Lex
Hey Lex - Let's do it
I can just link to your site. I can feed you the job info as I get it from locals. 8)
Set up the system as you want. We don't want a secret system. Let's just do it :D

SethCohn

Quote from: eukreign on August 25, 2005, 05:58 PM NHFT

fspjobs.com is a bad choice, as I said previously.  We don't want people thinking the FSP is involved, especially given past cases where there were problems...  nhjobmarket is a good choice, good luck with your website using it!

I understand that Seth and yourself are way ahead of me (from what he told me) but unfortunately it seems like Seth wants to keep it a secret.

No, what I said was it'll be out in a few days, and to wait and see.  I am/was unwilling to discuss the project outside the group involved until it's live.   No secret, just not willing to discuss it yet.

Kat Kanning

Lex

Okay, here is the first request for feedback. I have completed the join page (which will also be the basis for the user profile) and I would like some feedback on the fields that I have:

http://beta.nhjobmarket.com/?action=join

Are there any other pieces of information that potential employers want to see? Other than  resume of course which I will add later.

BTW, the form actually works so you can try creating an account, it will do all the proper error handling and what not and also insert the record in the database (passwords aren't encrypted yet though and no email is sent out upon registration). Also, you can't login yet.

My goal for today is to complete any remaining issues with the join code and finish the login procedure and hopefuly start on the Create Job functionality.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: eukreign on August 26, 2005, 09:37 AM NHFT
Okay, here is the first request for feedback.

Do you want to start a whole thread about your site?

looks good 8)

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on August 26, 2005, 10:18 AM NHFT
Quote from: eukreign on August 26, 2005, 09:37 AM NHFT
Okay, here is the first request for feedback.

Do you want to start a whole thread about your site?

looks good 8)

Topic has moved to the new thread NHJobMarket.com.