• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Videotaping authorities

Started by Dave Ridley, December 11, 2008, 06:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Basicallly in New Hampshire you should consider it an act of civil disobedience when you refuse to turn an audio recording device off after being told to by a bureaucrat or politician.
The wiretapping law could be interpereted to prohibit recording under that circumstance, even openly, even in a public place.   Or you could be arrested for disorderly.  I generally do it anyway, openly.  But some of you may want to try other approaches.

Here are  4, some legal some not...some appropriate some not
In terms of the wiretapping law...From most to least dangerous...

1) If you have your video camera or other audio recording device rolling on something, where it's picking up bureaucrats' voices without their knowledge....that is the most dangerous option.  You can be arrested and charged with wiretapping misdemeanors potentially, although this is not so common.  I recommend against this option but sometimes people do it by accident.  they forget in the heat of the moment to say "i'm recording"

2) You could have your cam out and inform authorities you're recording, and refuse to stop the camera if they insist.  That's the one I usually use.  I consider it civil disobedience as you can be arrested for this.

3) You could have your cam out and inform authorities you're recording, and agree to stop the camera when they insist.

4) You could have your cam out and not record anything , just hold it at your side as a potential deterrant.   and start it rolling if things start going bad.

It's good to have a message on your camera under your lens that says "I'm audio taping"

note that you can legally videotape folks in a place where there is no expectation of privacy, without their consent.  It's audio recording their voices that is the dicey part.

J’raxis 270145

My interpretation is that RSA 91-A and Part I, Art. 8 of the New Hampshire Constitution, trump RSA 570-A. At least, that's how I'd argue it if need be.

William

You forgot 5

Have your cam + a back up. If they insist, shut off the main camera and continue recording with the backup.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: William on December 15, 2008, 04:17 PM NHFT
You forgot 5

Have your cam + a back up. If they insist, shut off the main camera and continue recording with the backup.

This is a risky move, and should only be attempted after you have informed them they are being recorded.  Then they order you to turn off the camera, "Okay, I'll turn off my camera" (you did not agree to turn off your voice recorder!).