• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Rhode Island falling into ocean

Started by error, November 30, 2008, 01:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: KBCraig on December 01, 2008, 02:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on December 01, 2008, 10:31 AM NHFT
The world we live in is starting to look more and more like the one in Atlas Shrugged...

Not to worry, over on the other other forum, one guy is apparently convinced he's actually John Galt.

Go figure.

Go figure what--that there's only one?  I mean, I've seen some objectivist gatherings . . .

error

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 01, 2008, 04:55 PM NHFT
QuoteNot to worry, over on the other other forum, one guy is apparently convinced he's actually John Galt.

You have no idea how hard I just laughed...

Enjoy!

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 01, 2008, 04:55 PM NHFT
QuoteNot to worry, over on the other other forum, one guy is apparently convinced he's actually John Galt.

You have no idea how hard I just laughed...

Can't be harder than when I just did reading that.

Lloyd Danforth

Organjic

Quote from: toowm on December 01, 2008, 03:26 PM NHFT
We were in RI the last two weekends. The kids noted that all the shopping & restaurants on the RI/Mass border are on the Mass side, like NH has all commerce along Vermont, Mass, and Maine. So we assumed that RI laws are even worse than Mass.
I always thought MA was always worst because I always shopped their and felt the rediculous pull overs.  I grew up right on the border of MA in RI, and all the local mom and pops went under when Emerald Square Mall went up and eventually Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc, moved in and completely destroyed all commerce in Cumberland.  I refuse to work at a big corp like Target.

Lloyd Danforth

I don't blame you. The nerve of those fuckers offering reasonably priced products in an attractive environment!

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Organjic on December 08, 2008, 11:50 PM NHFT
I always thought MA was always worst because I always shopped their and felt the rediculous pull overs.  I grew up right on the border of MA in RI, and all the local mom and pops went under when Emerald Square Mall went up and eventually Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc, moved in and completely destroyed all commerce in Cumberland.  I refuse to work at a big corp like Target.

They moved in and completely destroyed all commerce? What are Target, Walmart and Circuit City doing?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 09, 2008, 07:16 AM NHFT
I don't blame you. The nerve of those fuckers offering reasonably priced products in an attractive environment!

I would defend Walmart except they often use eminent domain in order to acquire their building lots. And that's probably only the tip of the iceberg to how much government largesse they receive: The way things work nowadays, one can't get as big as Walmart without getting in bed with the government.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 10, 2008, 03:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 09, 2008, 07:16 AM NHFT

I would defend Walmart except they often use eminent domain in order to acquire their building lots. And that's probably only the tip of the iceberg to how much government largesse they receive: The way things work nowadays, one can't get as big as Walmart without getting in bed with the government.

True. But they're not "destroying all commerce".

keith in RI

i think he means that just by existing they destroy small local business' which definitely happened here in rhode island. i remember a time when there was nothing but small, what you could call mom and pop, hardware stores and lumber yards. then home depot came along..... when the consumer has a choice between paying less and getting everything in one stop or paying a little more and going to both the lumber yard and hardware store for their stuff, the easy choice wins every time. thats what happens. when corporations have the purchasing power of a "walmart" over the non existant power of the mom and pops they can control their prices much better and offer a better "deal" then the small guy, which eventually puts them out of business.
  there are almost no hardware stores or lumber yards left in R.I. and the ones who are left have specialized into something. same thing with electronics stores, used to be lots of small guys and tv repair shops then they closed because of sears, kmart, best buy, etc.....

just my 2 cents....