• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Do you want to homeschool...

Started by ancapagency, August 22, 2008, 08:17 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

BagOfEyebrows

If this is M.R. (?), I think you'd make a great teacher.  Some families (like ours) supplement their childrens' public or private school 'education' with homeschooling type additional learning and mentors, so you could also tap into that market by offering the additional learning/mentoring part.  My oldest son actually just asked to apprentice (he starts in the spring with a close by neighbor, to learn the trade of building.)  The day I met you I thought to myself that you'd be the person I'd seek to teach my kids about history, should we ever end up in a situation where we were homeschooling them, or, should they want to expand their knowledge outside of their school learning.  It's good to know you're good at math/gifted kids as well, because that's one area where my sons would need someone like you (because they surpassed my math knowledge years ago.)  There's a possibility I would seek the kinds of services you're offering in the future - our boys are still test-driving the schools offered by the town for now (public school and private academy.)

Quote from: ancapagency on August 22, 2008, 08:17 PM NHFT
Do you want to home school your child, but are unable to do so because you have to work during the day?

I am considering offering daytime home school assistance to Porcupine families. I'm trying to determine if this is a service in which folks would be interested.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Your child spends the "school day" (to be determined based on your scheduling needs) with me, and I provide "unschooling guidance" in their educational pursuits.  I assist them in learning, and assist you in putting together the required portfolio of the student's work for you to get evaluated by a certified teacher (as per NH Home Schooling Law). 

I'm thinking I can provide this service for maybe 2-4 students at a time, depending on various considerations (age of the students, scheduling issues, etc.).  I figure the parents, the student, and myself can sit down and negotiate the terms of the deal. 

What I can offer:

I have a lot of experience working with children, especially teaching/tutoring gifted children.  I have worked for the past three years at a private program for "at risk" NH boys between ages 10 and 16 as Medical Officer, Climbing Instructor, Rowing Instructor, and Athletics Counselor.  At the same program, I have also taught many boys such skills as: Shelter Building, Chess, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Land Navigation/Map and Compass Skills, First Aid, etc.

I have also tutored individual students in Math, Reading, Writing, History, and Science.  I have tutored at the college level in Biology, Freshman Composition, Ancient and Medieval History, Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Economics, and Environmental Science.  I majored in History, Philosophy, and Classical Studies in college, and spent two years informally studying Austrian Economics at the Ludwig von Mises Institute. 

I am a 10 year veteran of the US Army, and I've been a firearms instructor for about 18 years.  I have a current Wilderness First Aid and CPR/AED Certification.  I'm also a trained Mediator, and a voracious reader.

So, if you think there is even the remote possibility that you may be interested in such a service, please email me at: ancapagency@yahoo.com or call me at: Home 463.0069  or Cell 340.6654 and we can discuss the possibilities.

ancapagency

Well thank you for the endorsement!

I'll be starting with my first student after the beginning of the year.  Not a Porcupine, but a boy I've been tutoring for a while now.  The government schools have finally convinced his parents that he'd be better off homeschooled--that is, if he is to end up sane and with any education at all.

Lumpy

Quote from: ancapagency on December 12, 2008, 06:24 AM NHFT
Well thank you for the endorsement!

I'll be starting with my first student after the beginning of the year.  Not a Porcupine, but a boy I've been tutoring for a while now.  The government schools have finally convinced his parents that he'd be better off homeschooled--that is, if he is to end up sane and with any education at all.
WONDERFUL!!!  :clap: 

Watch out for these guys coming to "straighten you out"  :glasses7: