• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Web development, renewable energy, and solar cars

Started by www, December 16, 2008, 03:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Today I was thinking, that I have two companies that I have not done anything with yet, and would be interested in seeing if anyone is interested, plus a third and fourth company I am interested in starting.

The first is sort of a web development franchise business. For a franchise fee (one time) of $50 you get a couple of loose leaf notebooks (mostly empty), one to show to potential clients, the other for your notes. You get to use the company name and logo, and there are very few restrictions on what you do, other than charge $50 for personal, $500 for commercial, and $100 for politicians (for a basic website, but you can charge more for extras). No employees, ever (for me, but how you run your business is totally up to you) - but no limit on how many franchisees.

The second is a renewable energy company. The idea is that New England is going to transition to renewable energy in the next 50 years and during that time will need to build 15,000 megawatts of pumped hydro-storage facilities (Niagara Falls is about 2500 megawatts for comparison). It is capital intensive, and low employee count.

The third is to build solar electric cars, like the MIT solar racer, using carbon fiber. They are one person commuter cars, although it might be practical to add a passenger seat. There is no limit to the number of employees.

The fourth is also a renewable energy company. The idea is to build a massive solar power plant, and in practice this could be both for helping people put solar panels on homes and businesses as well as operating giant solar arrays. Once again no limit to the number of employees.

Let me look in my pocket to see my current capital available - ok, $20. However, I have been told that money is never an obstacle - the hard part of making a business successful is not raising the capital, but being able to turn a profit. Microsoft, for example, was started on a shoestring, and for the entire life of the company Bill Gates operated it as if it was a lemonade stand and he was so paranoid about losing the lemonade stand that he insisted on keeping a full years expenses in cash on hand - in other words if some day everyone on the planet woke up and said, you know what, MS sucks, and immediately stopped buying anything he would have an entire year to operate the company with absolutely zero income.