• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Amazon watch deals.

Started by Puke, December 16, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

Amazon has some great deals on watches right now.

Amazon.com

There are a couple of watches made by some company called Invicta that are 90% off the $1500 price!

I don't know if Invicta is a crappy overpriced brand or something, but I looked around the net a bit and didn't find anything bad about them. Amazon has generally good reviews of the watches too.

Get someone a nice watch cheap.

KBCraig

Quote from: Puke on December 16, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFT
There are a couple of watches made by some company called Invicta that are 90% off the $1500 price!

Any watch over $10 is jewelry. And you know the old joke about the jewelry business, right?

(Okay, just in case you don't... )

A fellow had been very excited to start his new job in the jewelry store. For most of the morning he followed the owner around, learned the products, learned how to operate the cash register, etc., etc.. Late in the afternoon the owner was impressed with him, and trusted him enough to let him run the store by himself so he could catch up on books back in the office.

An hour or so later the apprentice knocked nervously at the office door and said he had a problem.

"I'm sorry, but I just realized that I sold a necklace for $19.95, when it should have been $1,995.00," he stammered.

"Nineteen ninety-five! Nineteen ninety-five!" yelled the owner. "That's terrible! How could you make such a mistake?"

"I don't know, I'm sorry! I'll do whatever I have to do to make up the loss. I know you're going to fire me, but I promise I'll pay you back."

The owner drummed his fingers on the desk and stewed, then said, "Ah, don't worry about it. I still made ten bucks on it!"

Puke

Quote from: KBCraig on December 16, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFT
Any watch over $10 is jewelry. And you know the old joke about the jewelry business, right?

What kind of cheap ass watches do you buy?
My cheap digital watch cost $20.

porcupine kate

There are few reasons to buy a watch that costs more than $10.00

It should be rugged enough not to break in a few months.   I like stainless steel and titanium.  base metal sucks.  plastic is better than base metal.

It should be at least 100 meters water resistant so you can get it wet and not fill it with moisture.

It shouldn't be cheap enough to break your wrist out in a rash.

My last 2 watches retailed at $295 and $475.  That isn't what I paid for them but I have had them for 10 and 8 years.

Puke

I've never owned a fancy watch.
So I decided that with the ridiculous discount I should buy one.

Why not?

FTL_Ian

In other news, people still buy watches!   :o

http://amazon.freetalklive.com - Buy it here and Free Talk Live gets a %!

MattLeft

Good heads up, Puke.  I bought one.

Couple of rules about watches I subscribe to:

1) Anyone who doesn't wear a watch is not a punctual person, and therefore unreliable (this rule has been watered down a bit by the prevailance of people using their cell-phones to keep time...but generally still a good rule).

2) When sizing up a man, generally for financial status clues, his watch is the #1 indictor.  I've seen a lot of rich guys who dress like bums and drive cheap cars, but their watch is always good.  Sunglasses, too.

3) Buy a quality, durable watch.  Never take it off.  My current watch is over 5 years on my wrist.  I've had it off maybe twenty times.

And a watch-related observation:  Have you noticed how when a politician hits the campaign trail, the Rolex or Piaget or whatever goes in the drawer and out comes the "working man" watch.  They usually have some cheap-o, purely functional time-piece, as if to say they're just "one of the boys."

KBCraig

Don't get me wrong, I love nice watches. Perhaps too much, which is why I trivialize the importance some people attach to watches worn as jewelry. I don't dare let myself indulge in nice watches, or I'd be deeply in debt to have one of those auto-rocking cases that keep all those high-dollar mechanicals wound.

For function, the $6.88 digital from Wal-Mart keeps better time than a $3,000 mechanical. It doesn't have to be rated to 100m to be splash-resistant, and who doesn't remove their watch before it's exposed to anything more than a splash (especially one on which you've spent more than a grand)? If it's ruined through an accidental dunk, *feh*... toss another one in the cart next time you're in the store.

MattLeft, I disagree with your statement:
Quote1) Anyone who doesn't wear a watch is not a punctual person, and therefore unreliable (this rule has been watered down a bit by the prevailance of people using their cell-phones to keep time...but generally still a good rule).

I know people who wear very expensive watches, who are the most rude, inconsiderate, self-absorbed, unapologetically never-on-time bastards you'll ever curse under your breath. They've got a big expensive watch on, although they probably never bother to set it.

I know working people who never wear a watch (it's a hazard when you work with your hands), but who will always be 15-30 minutes early for any appointment, so as to not risk being late.

Pat McCotter

MattLeft? I know it's anecdotes and statistics but...

Try working on a 11KV electric line with that fancy piece of metal attached to your body.

Try soldering copper pipe over your head between floor joists with nails sticking out of them.

Try repairing heating/cooling ductwork with that snag magnet hanging from your wrist.

Try changing the spark plugs on the back of a FWD V-6 vehicle where you can just barely fit your wrench.

There are many jobs in this world that don't involve suits and ties. There are many "blue-collar" workers who are better off financially than many Rolex wearing stuffed suits. Look around you at the people you get service from. They are not all dirt-poor late-to-work bums.

I was going to delete this after writing it because that's what I was taught to do with off the cuff rants, but...

Puke

Well, who knew watches where such a hot topic?  :-\

I just thought I'd point out a (possibly) good deal that I found.
Geesh.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Puke on December 18, 2008, 05:17 AM NHFT
Well, who knew watches where such a hot topic?  :-\

I just thought I'd point out a (possibly) good deal that I found.
Geesh.

Sorry, Puke.

Those are very good prices for the Invictas. If I wore watches and had the spare cash I wouldn't mind having one. They are very well-made timepieces.

Puke

No problem. I'm exaggerating a bit about being mad.
It's the fun of the interwebs.

Raineyrocks

Amazon has some great deals on watches right now.

Amazon.com

I don't know if Invicta is a crappy overpriced brand or something, but I looked around the net a bit and didn't find anything bad about them. Amazon has generally good reviews of the watches too.

Get someone a nice watch cheap.

Wow, thanks Puke!  :D  I'll check it out.

MattLeft

Quote from: Pat McCotter on December 18, 2008, 02:16 AM NHFT

I was going to delete this after writing it because that's what I was taught to do with off the cuff rants, but...

I'm glad you didn't.  People need a good reality bitch-slapping every now and again.  I shall think on your words.

AntonLee

most people use their cell phones to tell the time now. . . watches are in my opinion a fashion piece.

that said, I have a cool watch I love to wear.