• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I have a question about a 12 gauge shotgun

Started by Raineyrocks, December 18, 2008, 07:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Do you think $250 is a good deal for a Remington 1100?

I had it in hands last night and it was such a steady hold, nice iron sight and felt so heavy, yet like it would be extremely accurate.  It's got some tarnishing on the stock but not much and it's really nice looking and feeling.   

I just don't know the going price and I'm not sure how old it is unless they are all made the same year?

Ryan McGuire

250 bucks? And it felt good?

I'd buy it!

The things start at around $800 when brand new

But.. on the other hand, I've owned a really poor shotgun before.. and I told myself before I buy another shotgun I want to test to see how it cycles before I buy it.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Ryan McGuire on December 18, 2008, 07:25 PM NHFT
250 bucks? And it felt good?

I'd buy it!

The things start at around $800 when brand new

But.. on the other hand, I've owned a really poor shotgun before.. and I told myself before I buy another shotgun I want to test to see how it cycles before I buy it.

Thanks!  :)  It was the first heavy shotgun that felt really good in my hands but I'd definitely try it out first too.  :D

leetninja

the 1100 series is notorious for heating and jamming issues.  also you can pick them up for about a hundred dollars less.  check out KTP - i am looking at 4 of them priced 115, 125, 125, and 135.

personally I went with a pump.  Much more control. 

if i were you i would avoid the 1100 especially if it is for home defense.

tony

1100 for $250 is not too bad. It does not have jamming problems if kept clean (you clean after every shooting – especially gas chamber). Model 1187 has jamming problem.
Gun good for skeet shooting. Too heavy for sporting clays. Not bad for taps shooting.
I would buy it if I wanted increase number of shotguns in my safe.
:)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: raineyrocks on December 18, 2008, 07:09 PM NHFT
Do you think $250 is a good deal for a Remington 1100?

I had it in hands last night and it was such a steady hold, nice iron sight and felt so heavy, yet like it would be extremely accurate.  It's got some tarnishing on the stock but not much and it's really nice looking and feeling.   

I just don't know the going price and I'm not sure how old it is unless they are all made the same year?

Put the money into some canned food and put it away.

neggy

what are you going to use it for?

If it is for protection, I would suggest other options, such as a Mossberg 500 or even better a Remington 870 with a folding stock

If you want to hunt, shoot skeet, or home protection.... different guns for different reasons.

PowerPenguin

Someday I plan on getting a 12 gage for home defense, but I have heard about/seen some new high-tech pistol rounds that contain a few small bbs that supposedly increase stopping power while reducing collateral damage in home defense situations. The one person I know who has these is knowledgeable about firearms, but having never tried them out myself I have no idea. Has anyone here had experience with them? If they are effective, it might make more sense to have multiple kinds of rounds for one or two handguns vs having to have someplace to store a shotgun (fyi I live in a small apt and probably will live in similar places for the forseeable future).

neggy

The Glazer "safety shot" is a pellet type round, and IMHO is useless.

you are not going to get any sort of a pattern out of a short barreled gun

A shotgun IMHO is best for home defense... everyone knows CHA CHUNG means chambering shell, I don't know where you are from, 00 buck won't kill someone in the next room if it hits the wall.

If you are going to use a handgun for home defense, a revolver, or a good quality gun like a Glock that fires every time without fail is the way to go. Double tap, center mass, call the lawyer.

To be proficient with a handgun, especially in SHTF situations, requires lots of range time and the ability to be able to pull the trigger. Anyone can shoot a gun at the range, but when it is dark, and you are faced with the decision to kill someone, it takes a trained person to pull the trigger without questioning yourself. There is no " wound them" in self defense, If you have to pull the gun you have to kill the bad guy. If you don't have enough reason to kill them, you didn't have enough reason to produce a gun.

I highly recommend reading " In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob

KBCraig

Quote from: neggy on December 22, 2008, 10:13 AM NHFT
A shotgun IMHO is best for home defense... everyone knows CHA CHUNG means chambering shell, I don't know where you are from, 00 buck won't kill someone in the next room if it hits the wall.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Pat K

Lloyd Danforth

Tom Sawyer

The Glaser Safety Slug is not a shot shell. It fragments upon penetration.
"Glaser's composite design uses a special thin-wall jacket, and precision compressed lead shot core with a soft polymer tip. This construction provides optimum balance between penetration and fragmentation."

Pat K

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 22, 2008, 11:19 AM NHFT

The Glaser Safety Slug is not a shot shell. It fragments upon penetration.
"Glaser's composite design uses a special thin-wall jacket, and precision compressed lead shot core with a soft polymer tip. This construction provides optimum balance between penetration and fragmentation."

Tom Sawyer

Penetration good, fragmentation not so good.  ;D