• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH desperately needs Mexican food. The Fast Food Thread.

Started by Alex Free Market, December 26, 2008, 12:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Free Market

I couldn't help but notice that in my quest to search out all the fast food chains in NH (www.anywho.com yellow pages comes in handy here), a necessity for me, as where I live literally must revolve around having at least two, if not four or five big name food chains by me, that mexican food is in real short supply in New Hampshire.  

Specifically, NH lacks Taco Bell chains.  Not that Taco Bell even qualifies as mexican food, but it is a reasonable pseudo substitute. I noticed that almost all the chains are in the southern part of the state, with virtually (or literally) none higher than the lakes mountain region.

The good news, in my book, is that Subway is very plentiful in New Hampshire, particularly up North.  I do love me some Subway.  

McDonalds, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) also seem to be lacking isufficient representation in the northern part of the state, though there are quite a few up in the White Mountain region in the bigger towns.   But still, compared to long island where I live, where there is a McDonalds every 3 miles and a Taco Bell every 5 miles.... this is a major hardship.  Which reminds me, now I think I need to go check for Wendy's.  I forgot that one.

coffeeseven

Because I don't eat "fast" food my first impulse was to run like hell from this thread but I'm really curious why:

Quotewhere I live literally must revolve around having at least two, if not four or five big name food chains by me

I just have to ask why that is?

BTW -

Google: Results 1-10 of about 19,005 for "mexican food" near New Hampshire.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=%22mexican+food%22+new+hampshire&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=2

Friday

Quote from: Alex Free Market on December 26, 2008, 12:38 AM NHFT
I couldn't help but notice that in my quest to search out all the fast food chains in NH (www.anywho.com yellow pages comes in handy here), a necessity for me, as where I live literally must revolve around having at least two, if not four or five big name food chains by me, that mexican food is in real short supply in New Hampshire.  

Specifically, NH lacks Taco Bell chains.  Not that Taco Bell even qualifies as mexican food, but it is a reasonable pseudo substitute. I noticed that almost all the chains are in the southern part of the state, with virtually (or literally) none higher than the lakes mountain region.

The good news, in my book, is that Subway is very plentiful in New Hampshire, particularly up North.  I do love me some Subway.  

McDonalds, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) also seem to be lacking isufficient representation in the northern part of the state, though there are quite a few up in the White Mountain region in the bigger towns.   But still, compared to long island where I live, where there is a McDonalds every 3 miles and a Taco Bell every 5 miles.... this is a major hardship.  Which reminds me, now I think I need to go check for Wendy's.  I forgot that one.
Your assessment of the fast food situation in New Hampshire is correct.  No Mexican chains.  Fewer of everything than in more densely populated states (but keep in mind that the entire state population is under 2 million).

Another thing I've noticed is that the fast food restaurants aren't necessarily close to the highway.  There may be a sign on the highway saying McDonald's this exit, but after you get off the highway, you find out you have to drive miles to actually find it... sometimes crossing a quaint New England town where the speed limit is 25 mph.  Not a good situation when you waited until the last minute to look for a public bathroom.  Be forewarned.   :-[

You should probably stick to one of the larger towns: Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth or Keene.  They're all fully stocked with greasy fast food goodness.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Alex Free Market on December 26, 2008, 12:42 AM NHFT
Also, why did this dumb thing compel me to make a poll when I really didn't want to make one?  It rather insisted I enter a question, else it would not let me post.

When you click on New Poll, that's what it does.  If you do New Post, you won't have to create a poll.

Puke

There are Taco Bells in NH.
Maybe I read it wrong.

Anyway, I wish there was a Taco John's. That place is like a much better version of Taco Bell.
Oh, for one of their grilled chicken burritos...

Pat McCotter

Local diners are as fast as I want my food to be. I get a chance to talk with locals and learn/teach things.

Puke

I don't like people.
If only drive thrus where automated....

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Puke on December 26, 2008, 08:51 AM NHFT
Anyway, I wish there was a Taco John's. That place is like a much better version of Taco Bell.

Taco John's rocks! I just wish they'd be open to franchises in this area. When I first moved here I looked into it. I had enough cash to open one myself, but they insist on not spreading beyond their base territory.

EthanLeeVita

I love Taco Time. But I voted for Subway since Taco Time tends to only be on the western side of the country... :'(

Organjic

I can not complain about any Mexican restaurant including the fake ones.

Friday

Quote from: Alex Free Market on December 26, 2008, 02:22 PM NHFT

Because I don't know how to cook any food because my parents never taught me.... lol...
I'm sure there are all kinds of things you know how to do that your parents never taught you.  Learning the basics of cooking would be a lot easier than learning how to live alone in the boonies if you're from Long Island.  It'll also save you a ton of money over the years.   Just something to consider if you're serious about moving NOTN (North of the Notches early next year)...

Mike Barskey

Mike Barskey

Teri and I had some great Mexican food in Lebanon the other day, at a place called Gustavos. It was surprising how Mexican-like the atmosphere was, and how good the Mexican food was (especially for NH!).

Pat K

Fluff and Stuff

I've heard In-N-Out is great.  I really like Jack-in-the-box.  I usually go to Wendys though because it's within walking distance and real close to Blockbuster.  Anyway, there are a bunch of fast food places in the town I live in, Seabrook - Subway, McDs, Wendys, Taco Bell, KFC.  There's also a Starbuck and a couple DD, if you consider those fast food.  There are even a couple hot dog places, wtf.