• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH desperately needs Mexican food. The Fast Food Thread.

Started by Alex Free Market, December 26, 2008, 12:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

Quote from: toowm on December 29, 2008, 10:58 AM NHFT
My fast food longing (there was another thread on this) is gyros off of a rotating spit. There are many Greek diners, but no fresh gyros, not even in Boston.
There's a Mediterranean place called Cedar's in the shopping plaza down the street from the Crowne Plaza in Nashua that's pretty good.  They don't have gyros, but they've got all kinds of kabobs.  I go there for lunch occasionally and make my coworkers smell my Eau de Garlic for the rest of the day.   >:D 

AntonLee

Quote from: KBCraig on December 29, 2008, 03:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on December 29, 2008, 12:46 PM NHFT
I really really really really want a sonic.

wicked bad.

Dairy Queen is pretty close.

not even by a longshot.  Dairy Queen doesn't have big fat burgers like that, or texas toast breakfast, or cookie dough shakes.  Yeah. . . did I mention strawberry-lime soda?

Tom Sawyer

Sonic drive-in late 70's... riding around in my best friends 65 Impala Super Sport convertible, listening to the 8-track... cruise to the Sonic for pickleos (fried dill pickle chips) and a large limeade... ;D good times.

KBCraig

Quote from: AntonLee on December 29, 2008, 09:08 PM NHFT

not even by a longshot.  Dairy Queen doesn't have big fat burgers like that, or texas toast breakfast, or cookie dough shakes.  Yeah. . . did I mention strawberry-lime soda?

Must be a regional difference. Our nearest DQ and Sonic sit side-by-side, and the biggest difference is whether you want to sit at a booth or in your car. Both offer patio seating. Every DQ is individually owned and operated, which can make a huge difference in the same town, let alone region to region; within 25 miles there are DQs that I wouldn't let my dog piss on, and those from which I would eat off the floor.

I give the edge to Sonic's burgers, but there's nothing wrong with a Hung'r Bust'r basket. Both are grilled and made to order. Texas toast is ubiquitous at both, but breakfast is a new thing at Sonic (and hasn't yet come to DQ). DQ has a great selection of shakes-blended-with-Stuph, which they call Blizzards (Heath Bar Blizzard... mmmmmm!).

Point is, neither is McDonald's or Burger King: both cook to order, do it well, serve up a tasty product, and have some unique products.

But yeah... I'll definitely miss Sonic after we make the move.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 29, 2008, 09:52 PM NHFT
Sonic drive-in late 70's... riding around in my best friends 65 Impala Super Sport convertible, listening to the 8-track... cruise to the Sonic for pickleos (fried dill pickle chips) and a large limeade... ;D good times.

Ayup. I am still in touch with my favorite Sonic car-hop from '80-81. We flirted crazily, but never dated, and she always knew I wanted a #2 basket (Sonic Burger with mustard), no tomato, tots for fries, and a vanilla Dr. Pepper. Same thing every day when I was on my lunch break from Fred's Dollar Store. Even the flirting... okay, especially the flirting.

Back then they served "Sonic animals" on the rim of your drink, and teenage social standing in a small town was measured by the number of tiny plastic giraffes, elephants, and rhinos you had on your sun visors. Bonus points for the tiny plastic swords that pierced cherries in sodas, because that implied you'd bought them for girls, who were obviously in your truck.

It is my generation's misfortune to have come of age when American Graffiti and Animal House set the social norm.

Did I say "misfortune"? I meant to say "blind luck"!

AntonLee

Quote from: KBCraig on December 30, 2008, 01:28 AM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on December 29, 2008, 09:08 PM NHFT

Must be a regional difference. Our nearest DQ and Sonic sit side-by-side, and the biggest difference is whether you want to sit at a booth or in your car. Both offer patio seating. Every DQ is individually owned and operated, which can make a huge difference in the same town, let alone region to region; within 25 miles there are DQs that I wouldn't let my dog piss on, and those from which I would eat off the floor.

I give the edge to Sonic's burgers, but there's nothing wrong with a Hung'r Bust'r basket. Both are grilled and made to order. Texas toast is ubiquitous at both, but breakfast is a new thing at Sonic (and hasn't yet come to DQ). DQ has a great selection of shakes-blended-with-Stuph, which they call Blizzards (Heath Bar Blizzard... mmmmmm!).

Point is, neither is McDonald's or Burger King: both cook to order, do it well, serve up a tasty product, and have some unique products.

But yeah... I'll definitely miss Sonic after we make the move.

the Dairy Queen we have in town doesn't serve food and is only open in the Summer so it must be a regional thing.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on December 30, 2008, 01:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 29, 2008, 09:52 PM NHFT

Ayup. I am still in touch with my favorite Sonic car-hop from '80-81. We flirted crazily, but never dated, and she always knew I wanted a #2 basket (Sonic Burger with mustard), no tomato, tots for fries, and a vanilla Dr. Pepper. Same thing every day when I was on my lunch break from Fred's Dollar Store. Even the flirting... okay, especially the flirting.

Back then they served "Sonic animals" on the rim of your drink, and teenage social standing in a small town was measured by the number of tiny plastic giraffes, elephants, and rhinos you had on your sun visors. Bonus points for the tiny plastic swords that pierced cherries in sodas, because that implied you'd bought them for girls, who were obviously in your truck.

It is my generation's misfortune to have come of age when American Graffiti and Animal House set the social norm.

Did I say "misfortune"? I meant to say "blind luck"!

I'm thinking that 'truck' is the significant word in the above ;D

David

They advertize Sonic like crazy on TV, though it is satalite and prolly for the boston   philedelphia and New york audiance. 

AntonLee

I know, but everything they have is different and delicious looking.  Texas Toast breakfast sandwiches, fried mac and cheese nuggets, hell some even have pizza!  Drive into my stall and they'll bring it out to me?  HELL YEAH!

I really want them to expand.

dalebert

AntonLee

I went to a convention for fast food franchisees a while back and inquired about sonic.  They informed me that they were not interested in the Northeast at this time. . . period end of story.

I hope they change their mind, I would love to open a sonic with all that fake money I have.

David

Sonic is pretty much a drive in type, with people comming to your car to take your order, right?  It would be a seasonal business at best, and francisers prolly prefer franchise fees that roll in monthly rather than seasonally.  I would like to see a Fazolis in keene, fast food italian. 

KBCraig

Quote from: David on December 31, 2008, 04:27 PM NHFT
Sonic is pretty much a drive in type, with people comming to your car to take your order, right?

They do dine-in now as well.

Are there any good Japanese steak houses in NH?

AntonLee

Quote from: David on December 31, 2008, 04:27 PM NHFT
Sonic is pretty much a drive in type, with people comming to your car to take your order, right?  It would be a seasonal business at best, and francisers prolly prefer franchise fees that roll in monthly rather than seasonally.  I would like to see a Fazolis in keene, fast food italian. 

people come out to give you your order, you order it through a drive thru type intercom.  I believe they also have variations on them without the stalls.  Stalls would be a difficult thing to plow in the winter I would think.

Friday

Quote from: KBCraig on December 31, 2008, 09:14 PM NHFT
Are there any good Japanese steak houses in NH?

There's Mikata in north Nashua, near the Amherst border.  They do the whole Beni Hana thing where you get your own Japanese chef juggling cleavers, making fiery volcanoes out of your food and such.  It's quite entertaining, and tasty.