• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Back in Black

Started by Friday, December 26, 2008, 05:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

(Those disgusted by insufferable peppiness, gloating, self-satisfaction, Horatio Alger stories, etc. turn back now!  Ye be warned...  :icon_pirat: )

Five years ago, working at a secure, decent-paying but mind-numbingly dull job with unpleasant people, I decided to take a chance... on myself.  I quit the job, cashed out my life savings, and enrolled full-time in (private) graduate school.  One and a half years later, I had earned my Master (Mistress?) of Science in Computer Stuph.  I was also in debt up to my eyebrows (all private, no government loans).

Five years later, during which time I went through a transcontinental relocation, a divorce, and two years' of payments on a new car to replace one that was stolen... Today I submitted my timecard on the last day of the quarter at the place where I work.  Very conservatively estimating what my 4th quarter bonus will be, which will be deposited into my bank account in six days, I am insufferably pleased to note that I'm BACK IN THE BLACK.  No, I haven't completely paid off all the debit, but assets - liabilities is now a positive, as opposed to a negative, number for the first time since August 2004.  I'm also making 66% more a year at a job that is interesting and challenging, with cool people, than I was at the dull job with nasty people (not even including the fact that I no longer pay state income tax).  Investing in myself paid off significantly better than the stock market would have.   :icon_pirat:

It's a good day.   :bdance2: :toothy12: :broc1: :ahoy: :icon_drummer: :nerd:

Random aside: my cats do *not* like AC/DC.   :black_kitty:

ColdSoul

Congrats on getting closer to your goal!

Scott Roth

Pat K

John Edward Mercier

Congratulations. Lets hope the future holds many bright things.

TackleTheWorld

Friday Rocks!!
and in more than just the financial sense.

Fluff and Stuff

This is great news for you and even for ME :)

Good work lady.  Does this include your auto and condo debts, btw?

Mike Barskey

Friday, does rock. But Saturday is a cool day, too.

Just kidding, Friday. You rock most! Congratulations on improving your life and successfully achieving your goals.

Ron Helwig

Kat Kanning

Puke

Friday

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on December 26, 2008, 07:16 PM NHFT
This is great news for you and even for ME :)
Oh god, not another applicant for house husband.  Get in line.  :P
Good work lady.  Does this include your auto and condo debts, btw?
I own my car outright, and I rent an apartment.   :)

David

A woman in the fsp is not a lonely one.   >:D 
Great news.  It will feel great when you no longer have to worry about not paying some bill once you get completely caught up, beyond rent, phone, and other monthlies. 

firecracker joe

;D  thats great friday and im sure you have worked hard for everything you've gooten.. your a credit to the human race and with all the depressing shit going on its nice to see you peppy and gloating. keep it up  time to stop renting and buy.  firecracker Joe  cause im TNT

Russell Kanning

super-d-duper Sandy

and you are supporting multiple cats ... sometimes without power