• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

pond maintenance

Started by Friday, December 30, 2008, 07:13 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

What's involved in having a pond on your property?  What I mean is, is there any sort of maintenance that goes along with that?  I saw an amazing property for sale that has its own trout pond, and am wondering what kind of additional costs, if any, are associated with that.

Lloyd Danforth

I think they need water coming in and going out at some rate to keep from going stagnant.  Some man made ponds are unfortunate.  Ed and Elaine had a pond that looked as though it depended on seepage or something and during the summer it appeared almost dry. The artificial Ducks were a little sad too.
I'm not aware of any land with Trout Ponds available in Grafton, Sandy?

dalebert

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 30, 2008, 07:20 AM NHFT
I think they need water coming in and going out at some rate to keep from going stagnant.

Is rain not sufficient?

MengerFan

The only thing we do with our pond is dump five gallons of some kind of fluid (all natural) in there to keep the algae from taking over. I think the fish probably take care of the rest. Looks and tastes just fine to me.

Friday

I'm not aware of any high-speed Internet available in Grafton, either.   :dontknow:

Friday

Quote from: MengerFan on December 30, 2008, 09:04 AM NHFT
The only thing we do with our pond is dump five gallons of some kind of fluid (all natural) in there to keep the algae from taking over. I think the fish probably take care of the rest. Looks and tastes just fine to me.
Cool, thanks!

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Friday on December 30, 2008, 09:29 AM NHFT
I'm not aware of any high-speed Internet available in Grafton, either.   :dontknow:
According to the Grafton Gazette it's coming this Fall Winter. 

Pat K

How big is the pond?

You might want to have it dragged for bodies.

Well that might be just a NY thing.

Friday

Quote from: Pat K on December 30, 2008, 12:37 PM NHFT

Not necessarily.... would the trout care?  The occasional floater might add an aura of macabre charm.

Friday

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 30, 2008, 10:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on December 30, 2008, 09:29 AM NHFT
According to the Grafton Gazette it's coming this Fall Winter. 
I think I recall reading that.  Do you have any more details about that? 

Pat K

Quote from: Friday on December 30, 2008, 03:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on December 30, 2008, 12:37 PM NHFT

Not necessarily.... would the trout care?  The occasional floater might add an aura of macabre charm.

While that is certainly true, the town would probably fine you .

David

Trout can be finicky, as I believe they are a river animal, and need running water.  If you want the pretty clear water you need quite a bit of filtering capacity, otherwise it will revert to the natural murkeyness of a real pond.   

MengerFan

This is where my wife gets our pond stuff:

www.thepondguy.com

Pat K

In NY we get our pond stuff at Home Depo
it called ready mix concrete in 80 pound bags.

Just in case ya wanna go that way.

Raineyrocks

My old neighbor in Maryland just put a small pond in his back yard and the biggest trouble he has had are egrets trying to steal and eat his fish, so he put netting up around his pond.   Other than that I have no idea but I could ask him specific questions if you want me to, just let me know.  :)