• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

pond maintenance

Started by Friday, December 30, 2008, 07:13 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

William

The anti-algae stuff is copper sulfate. Aside from Egrets, you will likely attract beavers and other wildlife looking to eat your fish, and to eat the animals eating your fish.

John Edward Mercier

You need depth and an aeration source.

Friday

Quote from: William on January 02, 2009, 01:23 PM NHFT
Aside from Egrets, you will likely attract beavers and other wildlife looking to eat your fish, and to eat the animals eating your fish.
Cool!   Bring on the Wild Kingdom.  8)

Kat Kanning

Trout need a lot of airation in their water.  The water can't be stagnant.  There are other fish that don't need so much air in the water.

( I was doing aquaculture in the Peace Corps for a couple months. )

Pat K

Quote from: Friday on January 02, 2009, 08:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: William on January 02, 2009, 01:23 PM NHFT
Aside from Egrets, you will likely attract beavers and other wildlife looking to eat your fish, and to eat the animals eating your fish.
Cool!   Bring on the Wild Kingdom.  8)

Pat McCotter

Pfizer has a koi pond on its campus. To keep birds from catching the fish they have an impulse lawn sprinkler with a valve hooked to a motion detector. When a bird comes down - or someone throws something into the sensor's path - the valve opens sending water to the sprinkler.

John Edward Mercier

Pretty cool.
Maybe a way to aerate the pond and give the fish some cover.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on December 30, 2008, 09:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 30, 2008, 07:20 AM NHFT
I'm not aware of any land with Trout Ponds available in Grafton, Sandy?
I'm not aware of any high-speed Internet available in Grafton, either.   :dontknow:
half the people I know have it
I was dowloading a torrent this morning at 300mps and am cruising now at about 10mps. It just costs more than in the big city.

Friday

Quote from: Scarface Kanning on March 17, 2009, 07:23 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on December 30, 2008, 09:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 30, 2008, 07:20 AM NHFT
I'm not aware of any land with Trout Ponds available in Grafton, Sandy?
I'm not aware of any high-speed Internet available in Grafton, either.   :dontknow:
half the people I know have it
I was dowloading a torrent this morning at 300mps and am cruising now at about 10mps. It just costs more than in the big city.

Feel free to provide the name and URL of your provider, unless it's a deep dark secret. 

toowm

If it's got trout, and they're not stocked every year, it should get enough flow to keep the system going. All we get in our drainage area & creek is peepers.

D Stewart

300Mbps!?!?  In Grafton?  Whom were you downloading from, your neighbor?  Hell, I'd be like a pig in shit if I could afford a reliable 300kbps connection.

Dude, seriously -- fastest link in town that I am aware of is Bob's T1, I looked at pricing on T1's and on high bandwidth GEO satellite links, but I didn't know there were multiple SONET rings hiding in the shire.  If you have found some better magic then please share the details.

KBCraig

I was dowloading a torrent this morning at 300mps and am cruising now at about 10mps.

"mps"? Wass ist daß?

MBps? Mbps? M(x)ps? Many pictures per second?

JonM

Looked at a property in winter 07 that had a koi pond.  Frozen over.  Owner said they were fine under the ice, just waiting for spring.  I'm thinking that pond didn't have a tremendous water flow.

Tim L

There is a guy in Barnstead name Jeff Crary who builds ponds and waterfalls.He also sell fish,aquatic plants etc..His website is Crary waterfalls.He has vast knowledge and is a nice guy.

Puke

Quote from: dalebert on December 30, 2008, 08:19 AM NHFT
Is rain not sufficient?

No. My childhood home had a man-made pond that was stagnant and covered in algae.
One day they drained it and I played in the mud for hours. Then my mother had a shit-fit.  ;D