• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report

Started by TackleTheWorld, August 26, 2005, 07:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jzacker

I'm a first year law student.  We discussed Kelo today in Property class.  Fun!

Jim Johnson

Quote from: jzacker on November 19, 2009, 09:35 AM NHFT

What did they say?

jzacker

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 19, 2009, 09:57 AM NHFT
Quote from: jzacker on November 19, 2009, 09:35 AM NHFT

What did they say?

Well we talked a lot about the history of Eminent Domain and what the Constitution says.  Most of the class was troubled by the case because it appeared to relax the standards so much.  One of the students, who is from Bosnia, said his home was taken by Communists and he thought this was a lot like that.

Usually we do 2-3 cases per class, but today we spent the entire time on Kelo.  So as cases go, its an important one.  When discussing cases, we rarely come to a conclusion as to whether decisions are right or wrong. We tend to focus on the logic and reasoning of the court as well as the plaintiff(s) and defendant(s).  But in Kelo, many people thought the decision was wrong.  Or at least, the government had not made a showing that their actions were necessary.  There were other options available to revitalize the local economy.  I spoke up and said that they gov't should have left the 'holdouts' alone and built around them.  Eminent Domain should be a 'last resort'.

CNHT

Quote from: jzacker on November 19, 2009, 01:24 PM NHFT
One of the students, who is from Bosnia, said his home was taken by Communists and he thought this was a lot like that.

Wow, this is an old topic and I thought political stuff was banned, but I'll have to chime in and say I think you are right, although technically I would call it the merging of corporations and government, to the betterment of the corporation. Isn't that fascism?

BTW, our friend Souter has moved to a nice shiny new place in Hopkinton. Perhaps he will sell that eyesore of his in Weare... He is reportedly now crafting civics curricula for students -- OY! Not someone I would want teaching MY kids.

;-)

PS - Just wait until 'cap and trade' passes and you become an 'unlawful occupant' in your own home... oohwee!

error

Hopkinton would be a much better place for the Lost Liberty Hotel, don't you think?

jzacker

Quote from: CNHT on November 19, 2009, 01:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: jzacker on November 19, 2009, 01:24 PM NHFT
One of the students, who is from Bosnia, said his home was taken by Communists and he thought this was a lot like that.

Wow, this is an old topic and I thought political stuff was banned

We're not talking politics, we're talking law.  Or at least, law school.   ::)

QuoteI would call it the merging of corporations and government, to the betterment of the corporation. Isn't that fascism?

yea you're right.  But the guy making the comment used the word 'communism'.  Maybe it was a language barrier.  any way you slice it, it is crappy.

CNHT

Quote from: error on November 19, 2009, 01:36 PM NHFT
Hopkinton would be a much better place for the Lost Liberty Hotel, don't you think?

LOL Hey there... sure but harder to take over a brand new palace that probably cost him $500K or up.

CNHT

Quote from: jzacker on November 19, 2009, 01:57 PM NHFT
yea you're right.  But the guy making the comment used the word 'communism'.  Maybe it was a language barrier.  any way you slice it, it is crappy.

I have coined a new word "communo-fascism"

As in 'forcing us to collectively underwrite GM.."

Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Russell Kanning

she should have black hair ... so how about Jolie

Jim Johnson

Kat Kanning

For the realistic appearance, you get Russell Kanning to play Jim.

Lloyd Danforth