• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report

Started by TackleTheWorld, August 26, 2005, 07:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

Latest News:

Clock Ticking On Proposed Fort Trumbull Deal
City Council Sets May 31 Deadline To OK Proposal

By Katie Warchut
Click name for author info, most recent articles ... 

Published on 3/7/2006 in Region ? Region News

New London ? The City Council set a May 31 deadline Monday night to work out a deal that would allow the remaining Fort Trumbull residents to remain in their homes on a single parcel of land.
Despite winning a victory in the U.S. Supreme Court that gave the city the right to evict the residents under eminent domain, the council, faced with tremendous political pressure, has agreed to work on a settlement.

The council in February approved pursuing the deal between the residents and the New London Development Corp., but Councilor Rob Pero said he wants to ensure that the process doesn't drag on for too long.

?Either you want the deal or you don't want the deal,? Pero said. ?If you don't, it's time to go. It's time to give them their walking papers.?

The homes in question are now scattered across an area that the Supreme Court ruled last June could be taken by the city for development of a hotel complex, a parking garage, condominiums and a Coast Guard museum, in Kelo v. New London.

Mayor Beth Sabilia has proposed creating a village-type arrangement for the houses on the Fort Trumbull peninsula. The city could retain ownership of the properties, though the plaintiffs would be allowed stay in their homes the rest of their lives. They would be responsible for some sort of payment to the city.

Pero said that people have been waiting long enough for something to happen.

?Everybody knows what they want,? he said. ?These discussions have gone on for years.?

It's been almost a year since the Supreme Court judgment, Sabilia said, and there's still work to be done in court, if the properties are to be taken. She said a number of issues surrounding the properties will be resolved soon, including a draft of a letter to the residents, who are now considered city tenants, on where to pay their rent.

?It's important that we be up front with people,? Sabilia said.

The city's law director, Thomas Londregan said he is meeting regularly with Scott Bullock, the attorney with the Institute for Justice who is representing five of the six plaintiffs. He hopes to send the council a letter this week outlining his discussions.

?I agree with that timeline, if not sooner,? he said.

Londregan said that by the deadline, he will report to the council on whether the discussions are productive.

Councilor Charles Frink was the lone dissenter, saying it was too soon to set a deadline.

?It's premature and arbitrary to set a date...in advance of having some important information,? he said.

k.warchut@theday.com

TackleTheWorld

I'm thinking Memorial Day Weekend would be an excellent time for a party here in Ft. Trumbull.

There's plenty of open space for the kids and dogs, weather should be great and the view of the river is always scenic.

Here's some events that might be fun:

Community Gun Cleaning
Grocery Run - past police roadblocks
Ammo Donation from Friends and Supporters
Mock Amphibious Commando Raid and Counter Attack

Anything you'd like to see?

Russell Kanning

Kat Kanning

Old fashioned barn raising on the vacant lot across from Lauren & Jim.

Russell Kanning

Hey Lauren could you write us up a short update of the Ft. Trumbull neighborhood for the Keene Free Press?

We are looking for a few letters to the editor on the subject of Eminent Domain and the Kelo decision by the Supreme Cloaked Ones. They can be short or long....whatever is on your mind. If you can get them to us in the next couple of days it can be included in our March 25th issue. :)

toowm

Just noticed this thread has over 10,000 views   :o

Russell Kanning

It might be the busiest.

toowm

Just checked.. this thread is #2, behind your "Freedom to Travel" at almost 17,000 views!

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 217.

Status of utilities:
electricity     On
gas             On
water           On
phone           On
cable           On

Latest proposal from the local third party with 2/7 of the seats on the city council:

One New London Proposes Fort Trumbull Resolution
March 20th, 2006
Over this past weekend One New London finalized a resolution for Fort Trumbull that One New London councilors Frink and Cornish will propose at the April 3rd city council meeting. It is: 1. Move the remaining houses not in parcel 4a to parcel 4a. 2. Return the titles to the property owners. 3. Property owners pay their back taxes from June 2005. 4. Property owners agree to no future lawsuits. If you support this proposal please contact your city councilors and tell them you believe this is a reasonable resolution you would like them to vote for on April 3rd. Read Councilor Cornish?s March 20th letter to the The Day editor on the column on the right.

Giving titles back!  That's a giant step forward.
Let me predict the city council vote on this proposal: 2 for, 5 against.

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 231.

Status of utilities:
electricity     On
gas             On
water           On
phone           On
cable           On

Latest vote this evening from the New London City Council in the matter of returning the titles to the Fort Trumbull property owners: 2 for, 5 against.

OK, the city government continues to oppress it's citizens, but I must say the citizens comments at the council meetings are getting much better.  Must be all the practice.

TackleTheWorld

For years every Thursday morning a prayer group assembles here to show support for the property owners. 
I liked their gumption as they appeared every week even during bad weather, so I asked if they could use another person.  They invited me in.

The participants include a former mayor, a current city councilman, local socialites, and advocates for reform. 
Philosophically some are democrats, some green party and all theist...until now.
I'm not just an atheist, I'm an atheist giggles with glee when launch my favorite god paradox on a theist.
(Can god create a rock so big that even he can't lift it?)

When I got here I distrusted all democrats, and green party activists, and people who pray aloud in public.
But I joined in listen and learn from the people who have been fighting and arguing and writing letters to protect my neighbor's property. 

I learned that they oppose eminent domain on emotional grounds: they don't like tossing innocent people out of their homes. 
And traditional grounds: they want to preserve old buildings.
And anti-big-business grounds: they distrust Pfizer, 8th richest corporation in USA.

One problem: when it's my turn I can't find a graceful way to start the prayer without mentioning god, heavenly father, or something that sounds like a deity. 

Russell Kanning

yea how do you "pray" without talking to "God". That is a tough one. That might be my new atheist paradox :)

Having been in many groups where out-loud praying happens...... I would say you could just tell them that you want to join them and listen to what they are saying, but don't want to pray when it gets to be "your" turn. :)

I think I have an answer .... or two....or more ..... none of which are good. :)

God could make a stone so big he could be crushed by it. (He lived on earth for a while and could be killed by stones, but chose not to once by disappearing and waiting to be killed another day.)

Could God create a being who could out debate him? I think I have met some who tried. :)

Tunga

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on April 03, 2006, 10:54 PM NHFT

One problem: when it's my turn I can't find a graceful way to start the prayer without mentioning god, heavenly father, or something that sounds like a deity. 

Most prayer is just begging.

Asking for this or that.

It's perfectly ok to praise God or whatever devine deity you want and thank the lucky needless bastard(s) for all that you have.

Nobody gets hurt and you don't have to beg.

If god helps those who help themselves then lead on. If you have to pray, pray for god, not too him. The big guy is surrounded by evil 24/7 and can use all the help he can get.

free55

God is like the the giant welfare director in the sky. ... Listening to people apply for an easy handout.  In most cases he doesn't cut the check.  Maybe it's due to the heavenly bureaucracy of the lazy angels that work in heaven's government. >:D

TackleTheWorld

New London City Council members voting against giving titles back to owners:

Elizabeth Sabilia
Mayor
City Council
860-437-8013

Email: sabilia@sdeslegal.com

Jane L. Glover
Deputy Mayor
City Council
860-442-6296

Email: kente219@aol.com