• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report

Started by TackleTheWorld, August 26, 2005, 07:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

New London City Councilors voting for giving titles back to the owners:

William M. Cornish
Councilor
City Council
860-442-5172

Email:  none

Charles W. Frink
Councilor
City Council
860-443-8703

Email:  chure@usadatanet.net

erich

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on April 03, 2006, 10:54 PM NHFT
One problem: when it's my turn I can't find a graceful way to start the prayer without mentioning god, heavenly father, or something that sounds like a deity. 

From a theist, who learned libertarianism and property rights growing up in the balcony of a fundamentalist church.  I would suggest that if you want to participate in a prayer without appealing to a being that does not make sense to you, simply express your hopes for these people, your community, and yourself by saying some thing like: 

May the authorities see the mistakes of their ways.  May these families be strengthened.  May the rightful owners of this property be made whole.  May all our neighbors respect the rights and dignity and choices of all of our other peaceable neighbors.  Etc.

This is a diety-neutral blessing.  And saying 'Amen' just means: "I really mean what was just said, and I will not take it back."  'Amen' is not an invocation of God.  Athiest and agnostics should use it in good conscience.

BTW.  My answer to Russell's question:  No, God cannot create a stone so big he cannot lift it, because this is an absurdity.  Absurdities are not things.  And so to say that God can do anything does not say that God can also do non-things.

Russell Kanning

Interesting ..... btw you also answered a question I never asked. :)

Tunga

Quote from: erich on April 13, 2006, 08:12 PM NHFT
One problem: when it's my turn I can't find a graceful way to start the prayer without mentioning god, heavenly father, or something that sounds like a deity. 

BTW.  My answer to Russell's question:  No, God cannot create a stone so big he cannot lift it, because this is an absurdity.  Absurdities are not things.  And so to say that God can do anything does not say that God can also do non-things.

So Mr. eric if that is your real name, are you saying that God can't do non-things? >:D

erich

Quote from: russellkanning on April 13, 2006, 08:30 PM NHFT
Interesting ..... btw you also answered a question I never asked. :)

Yeah, yeah.  God can't make a God-crushing stone either -- on the same principle.  IMHO.  To say that God, or any other being, can do non-things is an abuse of language.   

Anyway, I now see why Elizabeth was always such a stickler for crushing any talk about God or religion outside of designated religion forums.  I really just wanted to help our heroine in New London.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: erich on April 13, 2006, 08:12 PM NHFT
May the authorities see the mistakes of their ways.  May these families be strengthened.  May the rightful owners of this property be made whole.  May all our neighbors respect the rights and dignity and choices of all of our other peaceable neighbors.  Etc.

Thanks erich! I used that wording last Thursday.

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 259.

Status of utilities:
electricity     On
gas             On
water           On
phone           On
cable           On

Friday morning word got out that Governor Rell would be here in Ft Trumbull at noon.  She was publicly signing an agreement with the Coast Guard to construct a museum here.
Dick the Carpenter, Foehammer the Warehouseman and I were able to protest the event.  We had signs that said, "Give Back the Deeds", "Pfizer is a bad neighbor" "Not for sale" and such.
Co-Chairman of the Coalition to Save the Fort Trumbull Neighborhood, Neild Oldham, was attending the event wearing a "No eminent domain abuse" sticker on his chest.  State police told him to leave.  He said if they wanted him out they would have to carry him.  The local police intervened and let Neild into the audience.
As the participants arrived the local police supervisor called each of us by name and asked if we were were going to be arrested today.  I answered "well, maybe" so he assigned Officer Bill to shadow me.  I shook his hand and Bill and I speculated about what would be in a Coast Guard Museum until the Governor spoke.
We were 30 steps away from the participants on a public walkway.  We could plainly see the Governer's audience and Dick wanted to make note of the people he saw there.  The police supervisor lent him a pen.
As the governor took her place at the signing photo opportunity the state police told the local police to get the protesters out of the background.  We grumbled about being pushed from a public walkway but backed out of the picture.

It seemed the local police didn't like getting pushed around by the governor's body guards as much as we didn't like getting pushed off the sidewalk by them.

Heck, if I had been slower to move off the sidewalk maybe I would have caused the police to bark orders at me and disrupt the ceremony. Now I think of it.
:duh:

Tom Sawyer

This is your correspondent Lauren Canario... reporting from the front lines. :)

Kat Kanning

Would they have arrested you if you hadn't moved?

Lloyd Danforth

Probably not.  Wasn't at a bus stop

Kat Kanning

Oh yeah, terrorists are always hanging out at bus stops.  I forgot.

Pat McCotter

Coast Guard Museum Coming To New London

A new attraction is coming to the state. Today the Governor and the Coast Guard signed agreements to build a U.S. Coast Guard Museum in New London. The $60-million museum will be built on a 3 acre site on the waterfront at Fort Trumbull.

Where to build the museum has been a seven year political struggle. But after much debate, the Coast Guard decided to build a state of the art facility at Fort Trumbull in New London. Governor Jodi Rell and Coast Guard officers made it official and inked the deal with Connecticut kicking in $15-million.

The project includes exhibition space and interactive displays, an amphitheatre for outdoor events, a waterfront walk and pier with a cafe and restaurant.

The designated developer for Fort Trumbull will build a 133 room hotel and conference facility next door to the museum on land that once belonged to the Naval Undersea Warfare Center.

The new development is expected to give the city the economic shot in the arm it?s been waiting for. Eyewitness News has been told a fundraising campaign will soon rev up to collect $30 million to support the design and construction of this new facility.

Pat McCotter

Museum plans may disrupt fishermen

(Groton-WTNH, Apr. 13, 2006 5:15 PM) _ The future of some fishermen could be in flux with a proposal to build a U.S. Coast Guard museum in New London. It could be disruptive to a some commercial fisherman in New London area.

by News Channel 8's Sara Welch
A museum would pose a problem because the fisherman would have to move.

A few dozen people make a living in the commercial fishing business off the Fort Trumbull Pier in New London. They would have to relocate if the Coast Guard decides to build a national Coast Guard museum in that area.

The big question is will the Coast Guard go through with plans for a museum.

The New London Development Corporation owns the pier and leases space to the fisherman.

Michael Joplin, president of the NLDC, says if a museum were to be built he would ensure fisherman facilities that exceed anything they have now.

This is all contingent on what the Coast Guard decides to do. Negotiations are still underway regarding the exact location of the museum. A decision is expected with the next three or four months.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 02, 2006, 10:21 AM NHFT
The designated developer for Fort Trumbull will build ...
What a creative way to not mention the NLDC.

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 266.

Status of utilities:
electricity     On
gas             On
water           On
phone           On
cable           On

Today certified mail came to each of the Kelo 6 with the "final" monetary offers for their relocation.
Bill Von Winkle said his offer was actually lower than previous offers, reportedly 900K for his three buildings.
Rich Beyer's offer was reportedly 300K for his two properties.
Susette Kelo's pink house, 212K - minus several thousand for a mortgage the NLDC paid off.

These offers were formulated by the state of CT's high-profile big-time negotiator, Mr. Allbright.
Latest word from the state attorney is that the state will not interfere with the city of New London's decision.
This seems like the state of Connecticut washing it's hands of Kelo vs New London.

The city says, "Accept the offers by May 31 or else".

The I.J. lawyer for the Kelo 6, Scott Bullock, is not worried.  He is aquainted the slow and indecisive actions of the city council. 
Bill Von Winkle says it will be 18 months before they make a move.
I agree with them, but plan on remaining vigilant.