• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report

Started by TackleTheWorld, August 26, 2005, 07:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Man...all those other people held out for years.  That counts for nothing?

Pat K

Counts a whole lot with me. Every one of those people who held out for any lenth of time in the face of overwhelming force has shown valor. No one has a right to say anything about them.

Every time I see this thread now, my mind shows me a picture of those few houses left like small forts in the shadow of the giant pfizer plant, looming like the fucking death star in the distance.

Those people had to deal with this reality every day, they did not have the luxary of key board fantasy.

If you are not one of them, if your are not Larun or Jim who joined them shut up.

KBCraig

I sure haven't criticized those who sold, but I'm disappointed. It's been a long hard fight for all of them, and I salute them.

:icon_salut:

Russell Kanning

Maybe they got their asking prices. They could be completely victorious. :)

Caleb

In defense of KBCraig ... I think his vitriole was directed towards the New London City Council, not those who decided to sell.

Caleb

Pat K

WHO said any thing about ol KB, I was just agreeing with Kat.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: russellkanning on June 07, 2006, 12:36 PM NHFT
Maybe they got their asking prices. They could be completely victorious. :)

If you mean the property owners could be victorious - I don't agree because they didn't get the choice to sell to anyone other than the city. There could be others that would give a higher price.  We'll never know.

If you mean the city, state and federal government could be victorious - I agree because their economic dominion development plan is being carried out, their judicial mistakes decisions are being followed, their civil outrages laws obeyed.
They just got their hair mussed and the are ready to do it all again.

Russell Kanning

Well you are right because even if they got decent money ..... they still had not planned on selling. It just would be so much better than getting the shaft completely.

president

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on June 05, 2006, 09:18 PM NHFT
Hey, I'm from Las Vegas, I like the heat  >:D
Then you will love NH  ;)

KBCraig

My local newspaper weighed in today.

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2006/06/07/local_news/opinion/opinions01.txt

In Our View: Eminent Injustice
Wednesday, June 7, 2006 9:22 AM CDT

Connecticut city prepares to take property in case that reached Supreme Court

Monday night in New London, Conn., the City Council voted to evict the last two residents from their riverfront homes in an exercise in eminent domain.

This sort of thing happens all the time, in cities around the country. Eminent domain allows municipalities to obtain private land for public projects, such as roads.

What makes the New London case special, however, is that eminent domain is being used to take over private land for private economic development?a hotel, convention center and upscale condominiums.

This is the case that went to the U.S. Supreme Court, leading to a controversial 5-4 ruling that municipalities can take private property for private development in order to generate tax revenue.

And now it appears the case will come to a close.

The New London city attorney will now go to court to get an order of eviction and take the properties. The process could take up to three months.

Other property owners along the riverfront have settled with the city and moved on. But two holdouts carried on the fight.

Their attorneys say they are considering their next step.

The city of New London decide to push the limits of eminent domain?to see just what they could get away with.

The U.S. Supreme Court backed them up.

Now other cities are following suit, taking their citizens? private property to turn over to developers who will build projects that will return greater tax revenue.

Well, the court may say it?s legal, but it is not in any way just. Congress should stop wasting its time on symbolical debates about marriage and turn its attention to this very real menace to our rights as citizens and property owners.

We have a system of checks and balances just for that reason?to ensure there is an avenue to correct such egregious actions, even if made by the high court.

One should think long and hard before monkeying around with the Constitution. Very, very few issues warrant amending that document.

But the right to one?s own property is as fundamental a right in the country as any other. If it takes a constitutional amendment to protect property owners? rights against greedy governments and?on this issue at least?an overreaching court, then that?s what we need

Russell Kanning

TackleTheWorld

We got two more of the Kelo 7 to put hands to concrete here at Eminent Domain Central.

Bill Von Winkle and Byron Athenian

The block is shaping up to be 6' X 12' X 8".  I'ts starting to look pretty massive.

Byron wrote NLDC SUCKS and Bill used more colorful language. >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 299.

Status of utilities:
electricity     On
gas             On
water           On
phone           On
cable           On

Latest News: I got my request to vacate my apt today.  Deadline July 10.
and a relocation offer from the NLDC - bottom line, $4000.  Those poor Connecticut taxpayers, I don't think I'll take their money.

Latest Rumors: The two remaining property owners Kelo and Cristofaro will settle soon, Cristofaro for money and Kelo for relocation of her pink house to elsewhere.

Russell Kanning

Any idea what they are settling for? I guess relocation isn't too bad for Kelo.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: russellkanning on June 10, 2006, 08:59 PM NHFT
Any idea what they are settling for? I guess relocation isn't too bad for Kelo.

I heard through a third party that Bill Von Winkle would have been happy to sell his 3 properties for 2M, and when I heard he sold I figured he got his price.  He says he got "good money".  But he didn't get 2M.
He sold because he's tired of trying to run a business while being harassed by every bureaucrat in the city:  Fire marshalls, police officers, zoning clerks, give his every move extra scrutiny- NLDC employees call him at home and vowing to force him out of his home.  When he sold they made him promise not to tell what the state paid for his buildings and he has to remove the tennants before he gets paid. 

Would anyone like to temporarily move into my neighborhood and give these city workers a few difficulties in collecting their spoils?