• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shire Hours Questons

Started by mackler, January 01, 2009, 02:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mackler

Quote from: Barterer on January 04, 2009, 09:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: mackler on January 04, 2009, 09:20 PM NHFT
Okay, I think I'm starting to get it.   :)  Services are valued in hours, and goods are valued in ouncesAG.
Not necessarily, but some people like to just deal in labor-hours when it's a service.

And one hour is worth two ounces?  Is that correct?
No.  Two ShireHours = one ounce.

So when I enter a credit limit for someone else on the "new connection" page, I can choose hours or ounces, and it doesn't matter which. 
Yes, provided you have no preference.

But if I choose hours then the number I enter should be half what it would have been if I had chosen ounces?  Or if I choose ounces then the number for credit should be twice what it would be had I chosen hours.  Is that correct?

Thanks!
Exactly backwards.  2 SH = 1 Oz.Ag

I must be missing something.  Help me walk through this.  Here's the formula you give for determining the number I will enter into the 'credit limit" box:

Xtotal = Xbackrub + (cilantro value as Oz.Ag)/2

Suppose hypothetically, that one backrub has the same value as one container of cilantro.  Suppose I want to give a credit limit of one hour's worth of backrub and one hour's worth of cilantro.  The formula should give me the number "2", for two hours total, right?

You say that one ounce is worth two hours.  So one hour is worth 1/2 ounce, correct?

If I convert the value of the cilantro from hours to ounces, and if one hour is worth 1/2 ounce, then one-hour of cilantro is worth 1/2 ounce, right?

Again, I'm adding one hour of each to get two hours.  So converting the one-hour of cilantro to 1/2 ounce, I'm now adding one hour of backrub plus 1/2 ounce of cilantro.  The credit limit formula is:

In the right-most part of the forlmula you say to divide the ounce-value of the cilantro by 2.  1/2 divided by 2 is 1/4.  Adding the 1/4 to the 1 for the backrub gives me  1 1/4 (1.25) not 2.

Obviously I'm missing something!

Barterer

Hell's Bells!  :biglaugh:  You're making this way harder than necessary.  But it's kind of fun, so here we go:

Quote from: mackler on January 05, 2009, 10:35 PM NHFT
I must be missing something.  Help me walk through this.  Here's the formula you give for determining the number I will enter into the 'credit limit" box:

Suppose hypothetically, that one backrub has the same value as one container of cilantro.  Suppose I want to give a credit limit of one hour's worth of backrub and one hour's worth of cilantro.  The formula should give me the number "2", for two hours total, right?
Yes. You should end up with a total of two hours. But if you've already converted the cilantro value to ShireHours, you could just add it directly and not mess with silver at all! So much for trying to simplify it through units of Ag.. no good deed goes unpunished.

You say that one ounce is worth two hours.  So one hour is worth 1/2 ounce, correct?
I say that one ounce of silver is worth two ShireHours, and one ShireHour = 1/2 Oz. silver, correct.

If I convert the value of the cilantro from hours to ounces, and if one hour is worth 1/2 ounce, then one-hour of cilantro is worth 1/2 ounce, right?
OK, I follow you there  <sinking 'got it backward' feeling>

Again, I'm adding one hour of each to get two hours.  So converting the one-hour of cilantro to 1/2 ounce, I'm now adding one hour of backrub plus 1/2 ounce of cilantro. 
There would actually be 1/2 a truckload of cilantro.. but I think this is where I lost the cilantro scent!

The credit limit formula is:

In the right-most part of the forlmula you say to divide the ounce-value of the cilantro by 2.  1/2 divided by 2 is 1/4.  Adding the 1/4 to the 1 for the backrub gives me  1 1/4 (1.25) not 2.

Obviously I'm missing something!
Nope, I think you schooled me on the subject of silver vs. cilantro. I was thinking of cilantro as a generally worthless, hated commodity, the weight of which should be divided by two (or two hundred) to convert to ShireHours. When in fact, the cilantro value "as Ag" should be multiplied by two, not divided, to get to units of Shirehours. So that term should be (cilantro value as Ag)*2. :duh:  Parentheses still in the same place. 

jaqeboy

Hey, barterer!

Can I earn a bunch of SH and build up a positive balance and then convert just part of it to silver, hence run 2 line items in my balance summary?

Then maybe spend some silver with one trading partner and spend some SH with another?

mackler

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.  I have more questions about using that formula, but first:

Quote from: Barterer on January 04, 2009, 09:49 PM NHFT
So when I enter a credit limit for someone else on the "new connection" page, I can choose hours or ounces, and it doesn't matter which. 
Yes, provided you have no preference.

My question now is whether we should use ShHrs or OzAg.  Is there any difference other than if we use ShHrs then all the numbers will be twice as large as they will be if we use OzAg?

In particular I want to make sure I don't ever wind up with one of my trading partners telling me I owe him silver.  We're starting this trading circle each agreeing only to provide what we're agreeing to provide, and in none of our cases does that include silver.  If it's just a term to put after the number so we know that we're not talking about actual ounces of cilantro, that's fine.  But if I'm somehow agreeing that I might ever have to produce silver, then that's not okay.

What other factors should I be considering in deciding whether to choose ShHrs or OzAg when giving someone their credit limit?  Thanks.

Barterer

Jack: Sorry, but you can only have one displayed unit at a time, and payments you receive in the other unit will be converted and totaled up in your choice of units. So it always adds apples to apples -OR- oranges to oranges in one column.  Your displayed units are easy to change though. If you log in and hit "Profile," there's a dropdown menu where you can change units.

Mackler: There is no "legal tender" or "must take and pay in" currency here, but you can enforce one unit or the other by turning off conversions on that same Profile page. If the units your partner is trying to pay do not match yours, and you've turned off conversions, they will get the message that you've not extend them enough credit, because you haven't in that particular unit.  So I should qualify the "units don't matter" statement: Units are just a display preference if you and your partner have left conversion on.

Regardless of your default units, you can choose the unit to pay in at the time of payment.  So if your partner says you "owe him silver" and you're dealing primarily in hours, just select silver at the time of payment, type in the number of ounces, and his being a strict "silver only" trader will not block your payment.  Hours from your account will be converted to silver and spent.

It seems like the main factor you're concerned about is system-to-reality conversion. If someone wants to cash out of the system and convert all of their balance to work done or silver in hand, both the units and timeframe of compensation have to be worked out with whoever you pay. Don't forget that users can charge interest with either unit, and of course the partners have to agree to the rate.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Barterer on January 07, 2009, 10:07 AM NHFT
Jack: Sorry, but you can only have one displayed unit at a time, and payments you receive in the other unit will be converted and totaled up in your choice of units. So it always adds apples to apples -OR- oranges to oranges in one column.  Your displayed units are easy to change though. If you log in and hit "Profile," there's a dropdown menu where you can change units.

OK, so you set a "default" (actually called "Default display units") currency that you "will accept", eh? and (notes below) you "won't accept" the other if someone tries to pay you in it, right? (Oh, unless you turn on "automatic conversions", right? - actually called "Convert units as needed for payments?")

Quote from: Barterer on January 07, 2009, 10:07 AM NHFT
Mackler: There is no "legal tender" or "must take and pay in" currency here, but you can enforce one unit or the other by turning off conversions on that same Profile page. If the units your partner is trying to pay do not match yours, and you've turned off conversions, they will get the message that you've not extend them enough credit, because you haven't in that particular unit.  So I should qualify the "units don't matter" statement: Units are just a display preference if you and your partner have left conversion on.

Regardless of your default units, you can choose the unit to pay in at the time of payment.  So if your partner says you "owe him silver" and you're dealing primarily in hours, just select silver at the time of payment, type in the number of ounces, and his being a strict "silver only" trader will not block your payment.  Hours from your account will be converted to silver and spent.

It seems like the main factor you're concerned about is system-to-reality conversion. If someone wants to cash out of the system and convert all of their balance to work done or silver in hand, both the units and timeframe of compensation have to be worked out with whoever you pay. Don't forget that users can charge interest with either unit, and of course the partners have to agree to the rate.

Barterer

Right. It's the radio button on the Profile page:

Convert units as needed for payments?
  * Yes (recommended)
  * No

[Save Changes]

Next time you visit that page, it shows the current choice and does not revert to "Yes" despite the recommendation.