• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mike Barskey pulled over 101 east. Mike taken out of car and around back

Started by leetninja, January 02, 2009, 08:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonLee

god I hope both of them are okay. . . whenever I hear these things it feels like friends are being snatched out of their homes like nazis.

room 101. .. hopefully not tonight.

MTPorcupine3

Sit. rep.

Just got off the phone with Mike. They appear to be very lucky. They appear to be awaiting tickets and they'll be on their way. Both are back in the car, one of the three cops has left. Exact location in case the situation goes south: 101 east bound about 3/4 mile shy of Rte 122.

AntonLee

leetninja

tickets are better than lockup  ;)

hopefully mike can fight the ticket and win - wonder if they will ticket for the open container ...

leetninja

another 411 updating us - kops have been writing tickets for 20+ minutes.  always fun waiting for them to check warrants and background info huh? 

on another note.  I like calling them kops now ever since hearing about KopBusters - is that awesome or what!?

AntonLee

it takes so long because they have a hard time being literate when the majority of their brain operates on a yip yip dog on crack fashion.

leetninja

mike is driving away with 2 tickets for himself and one for her

he hasnt read the tickets yet - one is for failure to obtain a licence (for firearm)  he has a weapon and a holster in the car.

he assumes other ticket is for her open container

he will be posting online about this and a few other things

the whole thing sucks but it could have been worse i guess.  he is after all driving away and not in handcuffs.

AntonLee

why does he need a license again?  Because it's "concealed" in a car?

what bollocks. . . I'm glad they're both alright, just more bullshit from your friendly neighborhood revenue enhancers.

lastlady

Quote from: shyfrog on January 02, 2009, 09:13 PM NHFT
Way too much information voluntarily given. Never talk to cops. Ever.

This

and for those who have never dealt with law enforcement start practicing and role playing now, so you are better prepared to NOT TALK TO THE POLICE.

Dave Ridley

another incident of folks apparently not  being prepared with a camera.  however good use of 411 it looks like.  terry was nice and calm with good play by play as was mike apparently. 

remember to travel with a camera all!    and to inform them you're audio recording!

is anyone in a position to lead role playing activity on a regular basis?   maybe i will do a vid about that if i haven't already...

William

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on January 02, 2009, 09:13 PM NHFT
Quote from: shyfrog on January 02, 2009, 09:13 PM NHFT
Way too much information voluntarily given. Never talk to cops. Ever.

This.

Way. You're not required to answer questions about what's in the car or what if anything you've had to drink.

Daien

Great thread everyone, and I really appreciate the feedback. I've never been in a situation like that before, and even talking with others here about non-cooperation was different when I was in the situation with three beefy cops who were confrontational. I agree that I could do with some education and practice in how to handle this type of situation better. I was given a summons for "Transporting Alcoholic Beverages," and have a court date of 1/15/09. Mike will detail his tickets and summons.

BTW, he had a great idea a few months back to role play and practice these type of situations, and I can really see the value of that now. Mahalo to everyone, especially MT Porcupine3 for calling me back and checking up on us.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: DadaOrwell on January 02, 2009, 10:20 PM NHFT
is anyone in a position to lead role playing activity on a regular basis?   maybe i will do a vid about that if i haven't already...

Might be something to ask Brad about; being an actual cop, he'd know exactly what psych tactics to use to persuade people to talk.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Libertine on January 02, 2009, 10:34 PM NHFT
Great thread everyone, and I really appreciate the feedback. I've never been in a situation like that before, and even talking with others here about non-cooperation was different when I was in the situation with three beefy cops who were confrontational. I agree that I could do with some education and practice in how to handle this type of situation better. I was given a summons for "Transporting Alcoholic Beverages," and have a court date of 1/15/09. Mike will detail his tickets and summons.

BTW, he had a great idea a few months back to role play and practice these type of situations, and I can really see the value of that now. Mahalo to everyone, especially MT Porcupine3 for calling me back and checking up on us.

Glad everyone's all right now. ;D

Mike Barskey

Teri (Libertine) and I are both fine, folks. Thanks for the support and concern.

I definitely did not handle this as well as I did in my imagination. :) I did a lot of things well, but a lot poorly.

The short story: I have a ticket for "Resident - Failure to Obtain NH License" and speeding (71mph in a 55mph, RSA 265:60), as well as a summons  for "Transporting Alcoholic Beverages" (RSA 265-A:44). Teri has a summons for "Transporting Alcoholic Beverages." Notice that their first ticket does not mention a law or statute and is vague; is the "NH License" that I failed to obtain a NH driver's license? A concealed carry license/permit? I think they had nothing on me for the gun so they threw in a NH driver's license ticket, but who knows.

The medium story: Cop Ian Day-Lewis pulled me over for speeding; when he approached my door I had the internal car light on and my hands at 10:00 and 2:00 on the wheel and my window rolled down about 2 inches; cop asked me to roll my window down, I said "it is down", he asked a couple more times, I responded by saying that if he couldn't hear me I would speak louder (he responded to everything I said, so he heard me); cop then told me to get out of the car; behind the car he asked me if I had any weapons on me and I told him no; he patted me down (very poorly, by the way - a *lot* could have escaped that pat-down!) and saw the empty conceal-carry holster in my pants; cop asked me if I had a gun in the car and I told him yes; cop asked why I didn't tell him when he asked me if I had a weapon and I told him "because you asked if I had a weapon on me;" cop called for backup (officer Maloney and then sergeant Lance Hult) and then put me in handcuffs while telling me I was not being arrested; cops questioned Teri about having open-containers in the car; Teri and I both were polite and asked questions and didn't cooperate entirely, but we both also (in my opinion) revealed way too much information and cooperated too much nonetheless.

The long story: I will write this up in detail tonight or tomorrow and post it.

This is important: I've been thinking for a long time that I knew how I should handle situations like this, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to when it happened. As it turns out, I wasn't. This was my first experience being confrontational to the cops. I have talked and posted about what "should" be done and what I thought I'd do, but I made a lot of mistakes tonight.

My idea is to have a role playing seminar (I was going to call it FARPS: Freedom Activists' Role Playing Seminar :) ) where a bunch of people gather and take turns role playing cops/judges and activists, so we can more closely experience the real thing. Obviously in role playing, no one is going to experience fear or adrenaline or face any actual consequences, but I think that actually running through the process a few times can help dramatically - we could literally practice what we preach. Especially when there is an audience like those of us on these forums, where so many people know what "should" have happened and will be offering critiques and suggestions all along the way.

We could, for example, role-play my situation from tonight: someone could role-playing a cop pulling over someone for speeding, asking about ID and alcohol and demanding the window be lowered, etc., and someone else can role-play the driver who has a weapon in the car, etc. The "cop" might have the be pretty exaggerated in order to simulate stress and timing as issues for the "driver." A side benefit might even be that those role-playing the cops/judges might get a better understanding of what they are going through. We could also role play judge Burke-the-jerk and Ian, or make up scenarios.

Possibly, some of you posting advice or criticism (which I do appreciate!) might not act as perfectly as you describe when faced with the actual thugs. If you do, then please help others reach that point, too! If not, then practice makes perfect.

Would anyone be interested in something like this? I'm thinking maybe 10:00a until 4:00p on a weekend, with lunch included. We might have different role-playing sessions - perhaps on where we focus on activism, another on courtroom behavior, maybe one practicing non-cooperation and another practicing minimal compliance.