• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cilantro: good or bad?

Started by Kat Kanning, January 03, 2009, 08:35 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 03, 2009, 08:35 PM NHFT
http://ihatecilantro.com/

You and Mary both.

I can tolerate cilantro in fresh salsa or pico de gallo, so long as it's not dominant. It's like sage in dressing: you've got to have some, but one dash too much ruins the whole thing.

Mary and I both agree that the most obnoxious food substance is bell peppers. They have no spice, they overpower everything with that dry bitter aroma, and they generally taste like crap.

The red and orange ones are pretty, though. I just don't want them in my food.

Edit: boy, this went off topic quick!

Kat Kanning

Quote from: KBCraig on January 03, 2009, 11:42 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 03, 2009, 08:35 PM NHFT
http://ihatecilantro.com/

You and Mary both.

I can tolerate cilantro in fresh salsa or pico de gallo, so long as it's not dominant. It's like sage in dressing: you've got to have some, but one dash too much ruins the whole thing.

Mary and I both agree that the most obnoxious food substance is bell peppers. They have no spice, they overpower everything with that dry bitter aroma, and they generally taste like crap.

The red and orange ones are pretty, though. I just don't want them in my food.

Edit: boy, this went off topic quick!

Oh no, I adore cilantro.  I was just being 'funny' posting the link.  I had half a bunch of cilantro in my fruit smoothie yesterday.  It was a cilantro wonderland!

I love bell peppers too, but not the green ones.

dalebert

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 04, 2009, 06:16 AM NHFT
I love bell peppers too, but not the green ones.

Same here! I think the green ones are overpowering. The red and yellow ones, it's almost impossible to have too much of those. Yum!

Russell Kanning

and .... they can be used as currency in the Shire Hours system ;)

Pat K

Raineyrocks

My favorite way to eat green peppers is to put organic cream cheese on them and some salt, they are really good this way. :)

K. Darien Freeheart

I hate cilantro.

So does Dr. Kawashima, the inventor of the "Brain Age" series of Nintendo games. On the title screen, if you say "Cilantro" three times, his virtual face cringes.

It seems passionate cilantro haters really ARE passionate!

Friday

I love cilantro!  I'm surprised I've never been thrown out of a grocery store for snorting it in the produce section.   :weed:

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Friday on February 01, 2009, 07:34 PM NHFT
I love cilantro!  I'm surprised I've never been thrown out of a grocery store for snorting it in the produce section.   :weed:

;D

Bill St. Clair

I used to eat at a Burmese restaurant in Boston. They used lots of cilantro in their dishes, calling it "fresh coriander". I think of coriander as the seed of the plant whose leaves are called cilantro. On their menu, it said, "If you think our food tastes like soap, you are allergic to fresh coriander." No wonder some people hate it.

Kat Kanning

Someone hates cilantro so bad he/she had to split the discussion off on its own!

Friday

Speaking of vegetables that smell great, I chopped some fennel and fresh basil a little while ago.  Mmmmmmmm.   :love10:

Lloyd Danforth

For a while in the 90's all the TV cooks were putting Cilantro in everything, salsa, where it belongs, caseroles, cookies.  Drove my mother nuts!

Kat Kanning

Hey, do you happen to have that cilantro cookie recipe?