• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What would be ideal act of civil dis in NH?

Started by Dave Ridley, August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Adams

Interesting. Class 6 roads can only be upgraded to class 5 by virtue of a warrant article (vote of the people). Class 5 requires town takeover of maintenance. However, selectmen can waive a "class 5 road" requirement if the applicant upgrades a class 6 road to class 5 standards and so maintains it. The argument is "public safety."

Essentially, if the town allows you to build, it is taking on liability for fire protection/police protection and ambulance services. It won't assume that liability without a commitment that the road will be maintained at the owner's expense. Different towns (even at different times) grant the waivers with varying degrees of ease. It depends if they are pro- or anti-development.

Your case is interesting in that the planning board allowed you to subdivide (I'm assuming into building lots). Check the zoning ordinances. They usually say you can't create a new lot on a class 6 road. If the planning board did so in violation of the zoning ordinance, they gave you a de facto right to build on it. That argument might encourage the selectmen to grant you a waiver for a building permit.

You may want to review all the laws here:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XX-231.htm

firecracker joe

the town shot down my subdivision plan down due to the fact that i havent pumped enough money into the road which is a half mile to my lot. What i dont understand is they let the people i bought the land from subdivide into 2 lots and my lot was purchased as a building lot and i signed a waiver stating it is my responsibility to keep road passible to my house and that their not responsible for me. And i can upgrade road to class 5 and they still will not maintain it thats what they told me its a very touchy subject which i try to avoid until i can afford a realestate lawyer with a wetland back ground their are also conservation issues that im dealing with now. I moved out here to get away from all the bullshit of society and beurocrats and now it has come to me.

Tom Sawyer

I hear ya Joe...
Maybe we can help? At least we can try, keep us informed. :)

Sam Adams

Local "land use" boards (planning boards and zoning boards of adjustment) have incredible powers under the state laws and many are overly zealous in exercising them. They get to write master plans (usually with the assistance of quasi-governmental regional planning commissions) from which all else is supposed to unfold. They also are in charge of capital improvements programs (essentially roadmaps to spending) and  have authority to adopt them. CIPs are to be used as budgeting tools by the selectmen and budget committee, but are also used as justificationf or exaction fees to be paid in support of infrastructure when new construction takes place. Planning boards are also charged with writing articles for adoption of/amendments to the zoning ordinances.

The laws are incredibly complex and few people run for office because they don't have the time. That means the people who make the time make the calls on land use -- with significant authority.

Dave Ridley

jj we are trying to get enough of a force together here that we can make it politically difficult for local authorities to inflict fines and what not against folks who aren't endangering or harming others.   If you're within 60 miles of manchester, or in the keene area, we can usually put together demonstrations of ten to twenty people in your support, for what that's worth.   This should grow into other and bigger forms of peaceful opposition over time.

firecracker joe

thanx for the input  it all seems to come down to money for permits and wetland scientists i will play things by ear and if worse comes to worse get a loan and do things their way then maybe theyll just get the fuck out of my life thats why i moved out here in the first place. The DES is just doing there job they had to get a complaint from some assshole across town from the conservation society first  if it werent for him it would all be done and noone would have been the wiser now i have to play there game. it just sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russell Kanning

I wouldn't play their game if you want to be free. But they are pretty rotten and persistent.

Back to the thread topic .... not asking for permits sounds ideal to me. :)

yamnuska

Every federal employee walking away from their job. Every county declaring every federal building within their jurisdicton unfit for human habitation and pulling them down. A few people in every town and city sitting on public property with signs refusing to move, ever.

firecracker joe

Dave Ridley

other options that may end up on the table soon:  releasing a baloon, driving without a seatbelt on.

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Dave Ridley

Here is a continually updated list of civil dis ideas I am collecting from you guys.  All of these innocuous activities are, I believe, illegal in New Hampshire...often because of Federal law.

What are *your* favorites?  What are your ides for civil dis?

------

- serve wine to underage Iraq war vet in front of an appropriate state office
- operate pocket bike on a quiet public road
- fish w/o license
- hand out petition for redress of grievances at IRS office inside
- hand out ron paul literature at IRS office inside

- sell sales-taxable items without adding the tax  ( i.e. sell meals in front of state house )
- refuse to pay some other tax
- occupy a home or business threatened with Eminent Domain seizure, or one which has already been seized
- occupy a home or business threatened with tax seizure
- set up a sales kiosk on the 34 west property in keene (citizens voted to sell it in 06 but the school board won't).
- do some type of licensed business w/o license
- spend liberty dollars in front of fed bldg - not illegal but the Mint says it is
- establish "free zone"  inside a property targetted for seizure
- walk up to Post Office anti gun signs ... and adding the rest of the law to one of them....the part that says you *can* carry guns into post  offices

- cc jail visit
- melt a penney or nickel outside a fed building
- Plant industrial hemp seeds in front of an appropriate bureaucracy
- Light or puff a joint in front of an appropriate bureaucracy
- Demonstrate inside the DEA or some other jackboot-friendly bureaucracy
- Take piece of hard candy to Elaine Brown in Plainfield ( they're already getting resupplied I think but the difference in this case would be informing the authorities in advance).

- Police Checkpoint civil dis - half the fun would be spreading out and finding it LOL
   could be replicated at Federal checkpoint on the interstate
- FIJA disobedience (maybe enter a court with literature for the jurors or stand at entrance with "Jurors may overrule Judges" sign).
- Hire a worker for below minimum wage ... in front of the appropriate government office
- Hire a worker below minimum *age*...in front of the appropriate government office
- Audio-record a cop
- Maybe also some other kind of disobedience related to ron paul?  someone suggested arrests at a democrat reps office who voted to continue the iraqupation.

- parent serving small amount of wine to son or daughter who's a minor
- Alter a U.S. coin:  http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Silver_Surfer_Coin.html
- sell cold meds w/o requiring ID, or in unapproved quantities (I think four bottles would do it!)
- Play poker for money, with friends, in front of relevant state bureaucracy
- Get married before the state three day waiting period in front of the relevant bureaucracy.
- Stage a demonstration outside a funeral (with the approval of the funeralgoers.  Not sure if that would be illegal in this context)

- Attempt to place a FIJA.org banner on a courthouse, or to chalk the FIJA URL on a courthouse
- Attempt to chalk a V on a government building
- "Structure" a financial transaction to "conceal" its amount; (buy three postal money orders at just below the minimum reporting amount)

- drive with heavy window tint to right and left of driver
- play a game of lawn darts....illegal now in the u.s. apparently
- think of some way to violate 10 federal nanny laws in 10 minutes, in front of a fed building.  can it be done?
- make a fire on own property with five fire extinguishers present, but no permit
- refuse to license dog

lordmetroid

I thaught the ballon bill was thankfully terminated in the senate with the motivation that it was a silly bill. Am I wrong?

error

Yeah, the balloon bill was ITL out of committee but that doesn't mean anything until the Senate adjourns for the session. They could always pick it up and choose to ignore the committee recommendation.