• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What would be ideal act of civil dis in NH?

Started by Dave Ridley, August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

well it does mean the senate is more likely to ITL than it would be otherwise.

Dave Ridley

from a speech on 5/22:

"Resistance need not be violent, but the civil disobedience that might be required involves confrontation with the State and invites possible imprisonment."
  - Ron Paul

"(Patriotism) means to sin against against a government's abuse of the peoples' rights."
    - Ron Paul

Does anyone have any ideas how civil dis might be timed or designed to assist Ron Paul?

Dave Ridley

the list of civil dis ideas has been updated, at the top of this thread.

supperman15

getting arested for reading the constitution

Dave Ridley

Quote from: supperman15 on June 29, 2007, 11:52 AM NHFT

how does one arrange an arrest for that?

supperman15

lack of permets, or noise violations.  Im sure if enough people got together somehwere and started reading it there would be a problem.  Ny wants to restrict videotaping in the same location for more then 30 min, so you could get arested for videotaping someone reading the constitutuin. Going through courthouse security just recite the IV amendment over and over again.

Spencer

Quote from: DadaOrwell on June 29, 2007, 01:45 PM NHFT
Quote from: supperman15 on June 29, 2007, 11:52 AM NHFT

how does one arrange an arrest for that?

Visit NYC.  Where it is currently illegal to recite the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and will soon be illegal to take photographs without a permit.

Thank goodness that two of the "major" contenders for the presidency are "from" NY; they'll export their version of freedom to the rest of the country.

Jul 1, 2007 7:04 pm US/Eastern

Police Arrest Bicycling Activist At Bicycle Rally

(CBS/AP) NEW YORK An antic activist who said he was sticking up for cyclists' rights was arrested while loudly reciting the First Amendment, according to police and the activist.

Bill Talen -- an actor and performance artist who crusades against consumerism as "Reverend Billy" -- was arrested Friday before a monthly mass bicycle ride that has spurred friction between riders and police.

Police say Talen hassled officers by following them while shouting through a bullhorn. Officers repeatedly asked Talen to stop before arresting him on harassment and disorderly conduct charges, according to police.

But Talen says he was speaking up for the riders by reciting the constitutional amendment that enshrines Americans' right to assemble for peaceful gatherings, among other freedoms.

Called Critical Mass, the group rides aim to assert cyclists' rights and protest cities' reliance on motor vehicles. The rides became big enough that police decided to crack down, leading to the arrest of more than 260 cyclists during a ride days before the Republican National Convention in August 2004. Dozens more cyclists have been arrested at subsequent rallies.

Lawyer Normal Siegel, who said he witnessed Talen's arrest near Manhattan's Union Square and planned to represent him, portrayed the arrest as paradoxical.

"Reverend Billy has a First Amendment Right to recite the First Amendment," he said.

Both charges were violations, and Talen was released without bail until a court date in August.

Talen has performed a one-man show about consumerism and led a choir and street-theater troupe called the Church of Stop Shopping. He has also assailed what he sees as Manhattan's metamorphosis into a tourist-oriented mega-mall, sometimes taking his message into a Disney store at Times Square.

Dave Ridley

here are some of the newer ones, which i've added to the original list up top of this thread

---

selling cold meds w/o id requirement or in unapproved quantities
Playing poker for money, with friends, in front of the relevant state bureaucracy
Getting married before the state three day waiting period in front of the relevant bureaucracy.
Staging a demonstration outside a funeral (with the approval of the funeralgoers.  Not sure if that would be illegal in this context)
Attempt to place a FIJA banner on a courthouse, or to chalk the FIJA URL on a courthouse, or hold a sign inside a jury pool area
Attempt to chalk a V on a government building
driving with heavy window tint
"structuring" a financial transaction to conceal its amount

lildog

I just saw an article on WMUR which gave me the idea for an act of civil disobedience.

They pointed out that Lawn Darts are banned in the US and have been for the past 25 years.  So get a set of lawn darts and put them up for sale publicly (maybe on ebay)

http://www.wmur.com/news/13625755/detail.html
QuoteLawn darts have been banned for sale in the United States for nearly 20 years. The government said they were responsible for four deaths and 6,700 injuries over a 10-year period. In lawn darts games, opposing players score points by tossing darts at a plastic ring on the ground.

Four deaths and 6,700 injuries... anyone have the statistics for youth sports programs such as football?  I would think over a ten year period a rough sport like football would be even worse.

Dave Ridley

bald eagle had thoughts on civil dis, which he posted on the free stater forum, and which i thought were worth copying here:

<< As I keep pointing out, I think that civil dis and protests need to be well thought-out and prepared if you are to properly highlight what the issue is.  People misinterpret things all the damn time, so you need to spell out what you are doing and why such that a retards like the police and the reporter can understand the point.  Don't forget the sheeple at home watching the bube tube or sounding out the words in the newspaper.

Quote from: Dada Orwell on July 08, 2007, 09:20:02 am

serve wine to underage Iraq war vet in front of an appropriate state office
No, have him drink wine, but don't have anyone serve it to him.  Better yet, have him homebrew what he's going to drink.  You want to focus on the drinking age, so don't cloud the issue by bringing other closely related issue like contributing to the delinquency of a minor, excise taxes, liquor licensing, etc.

to be fish w/o license
Be careful with this one, because even though I'm a rabid, top-of-the-Nolan-chart libertarian, there are some excellent arguments for the control of hunting and fishing.  A complicating factor will be who owns the body of water, and who owns the fish.  Down here in VA, the law views deer and fish as "the King's deear and fish," I don't know about NH.
People don't need a hunting license to hunt on their own land, but visitors need one even if they have the consent of the landowner.  I think even the landowner must obey hunting seasons and bag limits.
What you should do is set up a man-made pond, and stock it with fish that you purchase from a shop in intrastate commerce.  Then have someone other than the landowner fish without a license.  Or hunt on your own property out of season.  Or hunt animals that don't have a season.  Goats, dairy cows, pigs, etc.

hand out petition for redress of grievances at IRS office inside
hand out ron paul literature at IRS office inside
IS the IRS "the government," or is it just an agency of the corporate US or an authorized collection agency for the govt?  You have a Right to petition THE GOVERNMENT, so make sure that's what you're doing, else you don't really have a case.

sell sales-taxable items without adding the tax  ( i.e. sell meals in front of state house )
Rather, highlight the unreasonable nature of a tax on an ACT.  I you sell something you're supposed to pay a tax.  Stand a bunch of people in a line and sell some item down the line until it gets to the end.  Then have the first person in line sell the same kind of item directly to the last person in line.   Same result, different amount of tax due.  WHY!!!
Even more hilarious, just have the same two people "sell" the same item back and forth to each other ad infinitum.

Demonstrate inside the DEA or some other jackboot-friendly bureaucracy

FIJA disobedience (maybe enter a court with literature for the jurors or stand at entrance with "Jurors may overrule Judges" sign).
Show up for jusry duty with a FIJA t-shirt on

Hire a worker for below minimum wage ... in front of the appropriate government office
Hire them on a flat fee basis - "fix this for me for a set amount of money."  Hire someone else at an hourly rate.  Have them both perform the same job in the exact same amount of time.

Hire a worker below minimum *age*...in front of the appropriate government office
Tell a worker below minimum age to do the same job for FREE.  Have the minor's parents tell them to do the same task as a "chore."

Audio-record a cop
Find an idiot-savant that can memorize the conversation word for word and SAY it back at will almost with the same voice.  Is a man or woman "a recording device?"

parent serving small amount of wine to son or daughter who's a minor
Have the parent serve a sick child the same quantity of an alcohol-based cold medicine.

sell cold meds w/o requiring ID, or in unapproved quantities (I think four bottles would do it!)
Sell them to separate parties in legal quantities and then have them give all of the meds to someone else for free.

Play poker for money, with friends, in front of relevant state bureaucracy
Play poker for barter property, or services, or non-FRN money.  If the Mint doesn't consider the Liberty Dollar to be money, then it's not gambling, IS IT?

Get married before the state three day waiting period in front of the relevant bureaucracy.
Three days after ... what?  You decide to get married?  You meet?

Stage a demonstration outside a funeral (with the approval of the funeralgoers.  Not sure if that would be illegal in this context)
Have half of the funeral goers demonstrate outside the funeral itself.  Have someone who is to die soon put it in their will that they want a demonstration held outside their funeral.  Have the person being buried hold a protest sign in their open casket.  Have a funeral for a pet and stage a demonstration outside of it.

drive with heavy window tint to right and left of driver
Here in VA, it is only NON-FACTORY tint that is illegal if it too dark.  Have two people drive with same amount of tint, but have one come that way from the manufacturer. >>

Dave Ridley

i've gone to all the major NH forums I know of and requested feedback on our civil dis ideas.   I'd like average NH folks on mainstream forums to feel they have input into whatever action we might take.

The reaction has been strangely positive but not particularly lively.

http://seacoastconnects.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3382
http://www.merrimackforum.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4204
http://forum.nashuatelegraph.com/viewtopic.php?t=869

Bald Eagle

Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 16, 2006, 03:01 AM NHFT
Sam welcome!   Much thanks for the advice.  I'd especially welcome more specific ideas about how we could overobey the law; that's something we haven't explored yet.   I understand canadians are doing this by turning in tons of firearms registration paperwork and flooding their gun registration system with it.

I just mailed letters to the BATFE and State police requesting that they send me enlarged-text or poster-sized forms to comply with requests made by customers, as per the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

It was lots of fun to simply write a letter and put the onus on THEM to comply with some BS law.  You want to tie up the system?  Just start requesting things from government offices that they are OBLIGATED to comply with.  When they don't they look bad for pissing all over the blind and crippled people.

Caleb

Quote from: Bald Eagle on July 20, 2007, 07:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 16, 2006, 03:01 AM NHFT
Sam welcome!   Much thanks for the advice.  I'd especially welcome more specific ideas about how we could overobey the law; that's something we haven't explored yet.   I understand canadians are doing this by turning in tons of firearms registration paperwork and flooding their gun registration system with it.

I just mailed letters to the BATFE and State police requesting that they send me enlarged-text or poster-sized forms to comply with requests made by customers, as per the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

It was lots of fun to simply write a letter and put the onus on THEM to comply with some BS law.  You want to tie up the system?  Just start requesting things from government offices that they are OBLIGATED to comply with.  When they don't they look bad for pissing all over the blind and crippled people.

:laughing1:

Dreepa

Quote from: lildog on July 05, 2007, 03:48 PM NHFT

Four deaths and 6,700 injuries... anyone have the statistics for youth sports programs such as football?  I would think over a ten year period a rough sport like football would be even worse.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_anyone_ever_been_killed_playing_football

KBCraig

Quote from: Dreepa on July 20, 2007, 07:40 PM NHFT
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_anyone_ever_been_killed_playing_football

Wow, that's just... an insane amalgamation of conflicting answers by different unknown authors, with no links or cites.  :o

But one of the answers did prompt me to google "catastrophic sports injuries", which lead me here:

http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/FootballInjuryData.htm

From 1931 to 2006, there were 1002 direct deaths from football injuries ("direct", meaning not heat stroke, heart attack, etc.)

The only year with zero football deaths was 1990.