• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What would be ideal act of civil dis in NH?

Started by Dave Ridley, August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

highline

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 07, 2008, 06:42 AM NHFT
when did this thread change to pointing out all the silly laws that they don't enforce?

It is civilly disobedient for restaurant owners to not comply with that law.

J’raxis 270145

Two people standing still and shining a laser pointer at each other:—

631:3-a Conduct Involving Laser Pointing Devices. –
    I. Any person who knowingly shines the beam of a laser pointing device at an occupied motor vehicle, window, or person shall be guilty of a violation and the laser pointing device shall be forfeited upon conviction.
    II. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph I, any person who knowingly shines the beam of a laser pointing device at a law enforcement officer or law enforcement vehicle shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and the laser pointing device shall be forfeited upon conviction.
    III. It shall be an affirmative defense under this section if the laser pointing device was used in an organized meeting or training class by the instructor or speaker. Nothing in this section shall be construed so as to limit the use of medical lasers by qualified medical personnel, or construction lasers used by construction personnel, or laser devices utilized by law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties.

Kat Kanning

Law enforcement officer:  gets special protection under the law.  The rest of us don't matter as much.  ::)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Kat Kanning on May 07, 2008, 06:45 PM NHFT
Law enforcement officer:  gets special protection under the law.  The rest of us don't matter as much.  ::)

Oh, it gets better. Check out the (very new) law that immediately follows this one:—

631:4-a Harm or Threats to Certain Government Officials. –
    I. A person is guilty of a class A felony if he or she causes bodily injury to, or commits any other crime against, a sitting member of the general court, an executive councilor, a past or present governor, member of the judiciary, marital master, or member of their immediate family, for the purpose of influencing such official's action or in retaliation for action taken as a part of an official's government duties.
    II. A person is guilty of a class B felony if he or she threatens bodily injury or threatens to commit any other crime against a sitting member of the general court, an executive councilor, a past or present governor, member of the judiciary, marital master, or member of their immediate family, for the purpose of influencing such official's action or in retaliation for action taken as a part of an official's government duties.
    III. Violations of this statute shall be prosecuted by the office of the attorney general.

Source. 2006, 47:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2007.

Kat Kanning

Not long after 9/11, I was waiting for Kira's plane to come in...the flight leaving before hers was coming in was headed for DC.  There was all this extra security, just to keep the DC dweeb safe.  Rest of us didn't matter.

Luke S

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on May 07, 2008, 04:22 PM NHFT

I. Any person who knowingly shines the beam of a laser pointing device at an occupied motor vehicle, window, or person shall be guilty of a violation and the laser pointing device shall be forfeited upon conviction.
    II. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph I, any person who knowingly shines the beam of a laser pointing device at a law enforcement officer or law enforcement vehicle shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and the laser pointing device shall be forfeited upon conviction.
    III. It shall be an affirmative defense under this section if the laser pointing device was used in an organized meeting or training class by the instructor or speaker. Nothing in this section shall be construed so as to limit the use of medical lasers by qualified medical personnel, or construction lasers used by construction personnel, or laser devices utilized by law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties.

Can't say I disagree with that law. There are laser pointers that are powerful enough to burn out eyes and burn through skin, or catch somebody's house on fire if it is shined through a window. And obviously if somebody is driving a car, shining laser pointers in their eyes can cause an accident.

Of course I don't mean to rain on your parade, I'm just sayin'...

Russell Kanning

sometimes you need a little government to solve the world's problems .... well maybe it takes a police state

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Luke S on May 08, 2008, 05:46 AM NHFT

Can't say I disagree with that law. There are laser pointers that are powerful enough to burn out eyes and burn through skin, or catch somebody's house on fire if it is shined through a window. And obviously if somebody is driving a car, shining laser pointers in their eyes can cause an accident.

Read the law closely: It says nothing about shining it in people's eyes, nor anything about power requirements (the vast majority of laser pointers out there are 5mW; these can cause eye damage but couldn't burn through anything), nor does it make any exceptions for consent or somesuch. If you shine any laser pointer at someone, period, you've violated this law, which is what makes it a good candidate as a "stupid law" to break.

"Reasonable" public safety laws aren't something we're going after—yet, at least...

feralfae

has someone already mentioned giving the Nazi salute complete with remark whenever you see any Homeland Security?  For instance, when your car is stopped at a checkpoint, you could get out and snap your heels and raise your hand in a salute and say "sig Heil" Also when you pay your tax bill.   Or when you come into contact with any politician.  (Okay, maybe not Ron Paul)

The list goes on and on: to the point, not threatening, beautifully symbolic.
ff

Free libertarian

Quote from: Kat Kanning on May 07, 2008, 06:45 PM NHFT

Yes. That one bugs me too. Sort of like some people are "more equal" than others...hmm.

highline

There are many laws with law enforcement exceptions as the nature and everyday performance of policing would be hindered by application of some laws against the police.

That being said, I find it important to say that I think the laser pointer law is completely stupid. Like most of our laws.

Luke S

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on May 09, 2008, 08:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: Luke S on May 08, 2008, 05:46 AM NHFT

Read the law closely: It says nothing about shining it in people's eyes, nor anything about power requirements (the vast majority of laser pointers out there are 5mW; these can cause eye damage but couldn't burn through anything), nor does it make any exceptions for consent or somesuch. If you shine any laser pointer at someone, period, you've violated this law, which is what makes it a good candidate as a "stupid law" to break.

"Reasonable" public safety laws aren't something we're going after—yet, at least...

I doubt that that law would be used against somebody for just shining a laser pointer at somebody if they consented to having the laser pointer shined at them. I mean, yeah, theoretically it could, but most police aren't demons. Most police in my experience in MI and OH are reasonable people who would only arrest or fine people under this law (that is, if it existed in MI or OH) who shined laser pointers into people's eyes who didn't want it shined in their eyes, or who shined laser pointers at people who are driving cars, which could distract them and cause an accident. And even if there was a draconian officer who arrested someone for shining it at someone when they had consented to it, that officer would be very hard pressed to find a judge and a jury who would convict them for violating this law under that circumstance.

Personally, I wish there would have been a law like this in Michigan, because I used to go to a school with a bunch of rich kids where they were always getting all their new little "toys" for Christmas and their birthdays, and they sometimes got laser pointers, and then they would always act like "the cool kid on the block", which was fine, except as part of acting like "the cool kid on the block", they would take their laser pointer and shine it in people's eyes without any regard for whether or not people wanted it shined in their eyes or not. A law in Michigan like the law in NH could have gotten the laser pointers taken away from them, and would have saved me and a lot of other people from having laser pointers shined in our eyes all the time by all the "cool kids".

highline

Why call the cops when you can lawfully use for self defense?

Luke S

Quote from: highline on May 11, 2008, 07:32 AM NHFT
Why call the cops when you can lawfully use for self defense?

I did use self defense. Eventually I got sick of what they did, and I would keep a mirror in my pocket and whenever they shined it at me I would reflect it straight back at them. But the fact that I'm able to defend myself doesn't excuse what they did. They should have had the laser pointers taken away from them, which is what the NH law provides for.

highline

i must confess... i did shine a laser pointer at myself once whilst on-duty.

:o