• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What would be ideal act of civil dis in NH?

Started by Dave Ridley, August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on August 29, 2005, 01:39 PM NHFT
Well, he didn't eat for days last week while he was sick.

Ack!  Are you okay, Russell?   :-\  What happened?

polyanarch

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 29, 2005, 01:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on August 29, 2005, 07:09 AM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 29, 2005, 12:34 AM NHFTCivil disobedience, fasting, noncooperation, living simply, forgiveness, truth, and celibacy are fairly new concepts to me, but that's who I am now.

I have one problem with this list

Fasting?  Or celibacy?   ;)

I'm reminded of the parallel Heinlein drew between hunger strikes and temper tantrums.

The celibacy issue is just another extension of that -cutting off the nose to spite the face as far as I'm concerned...

d'oh!

I'm down with the Civil disobedience, noncooperation, living simply, forgiveness, and absolute truth.

Kat Kanning

He got the flu and it kicked in his athsma...he was a mess.  We all wound up getting the flu.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on August 29, 2005, 01:50 PM NHFT
He got the flu and it kicked in his athsma...he was a mess.? We all wound up getting the flu.

That's terrible!  Dave sounded okay this morning.  How about you?

Michael Fisher

Quote from: polyanarch on August 29, 2005, 01:48 PM NHFT
I'm reminded of the parallel Heinlein drew between hunger strikes and temper tantrums.

The celibacy issue is just another extension of that -cutting off the nose to spite the face as far as I'm concerned...

Fasting can easily be seen as a hunger strike if done incorrectly.  It is meant to atone for mistakes, calm distress, reform those you love, or purify yourself to regain focus.  Celibacy is a very personal decision for the purpose of self-control and conserving the strength of my will.

lildog

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT
What do you think is the best act of civil disobedience a person could do in New Hampshire?

Violate building permits!

I was just reading this weekend an article about a guy who wanted to build a tool shed in his yard but his town regulations against sheds and limited the sizes etc.  So to get around the law he built the shed he wanted next to a stream going through is property and put a working water wheel and mill inside the shed so it technically was a mill and not a shed which the town did allow.  Personally I think the working water wheel was WAY cool but you shouldn?t have to take such measures just to build some place to store your tools.

polyanarch

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 29, 2005, 03:26 PM NHFT

Fasting can easily be seen as a hunger strike if done incorrectly.  It is meant to atone for mistakes, calm distress, reform those you love, or purify yourself to regain focus.  Celibacy is a very personal decision for the purpose of self-control and conserving the strength of my will.

If you are fasting for your own sake, cleansing or whatever then that is one thing.  The same goes for celibacy.  I couldn't do it.  I like to breathe, eat, drink and the other vital functions necessary to my physical and emotional health. 

To each their own.

Doing it to impress a change in other's behavior is just plain silly in my opinion.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: polyanarch on August 29, 2005, 03:45 PM NHFT
If you are fasting for your own sake, cleansing or whatever then that is one thing.? The same goes for celibacy.? I couldn't do it.? I like to breathe, eat, drink and the other vital functions necessary to my physical and emotional health.?

To each their own.

Doing it to impress a change in other's behavior is just plain silly in my opinion.

Please allow me to refer you to a specific movie...   ;)

polyanarch

Gandhi got lucky.

In that specific instance, in that specific time.  He was a British Citizen.  There was a million other ways things could have gone -and much worse.  An exception to prove the rule not a rule in and of itself.

Good movie though. 

So was Red Dawn.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: lildog on August 29, 2005, 03:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT
What do you think is the best act of civil disobedience a person could do in New Hampshire?

Violate building permits!

so if your shed is small it is no good .... but if your wheelhouse is small then Otay ;D

Kat Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 29, 2005, 03:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: katdillon on August 29, 2005, 01:50 PM NHFT
He got the flu and it kicked in his athsma...he was a mess.  We all wound up getting the flu.

That's terrible!  Dave sounded okay this morning.  How about you?

Dave said he didn't get it so far.  He was really sweet and tried to take care of us when we were all sick.

polyanarch

Being sick sucks. 

It is weird that everyone I know online has been sick lately -from all around the nation.  There is something sinister going around.

Kat Kanning

I figured it was a government conspiracy.  Even the cat was sick.

polyanarch

Government-released retro-virus inoculations to combat weaponized terrorist munitions. 

Or maybe it is just some bad stuff going around.

Kat Kanning