• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What would be ideal act of civil dis in NH?

Started by Dave Ridley, August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 05, 2005, 03:32 AM NHFT
How about a protest related to forced institutionalization?

One Hundred ADAPT Activists Arrested at the White House
http://www.freeourpeople.org/aar/wdc03/rpt2a.htm

I haven't read everything about it but you should read the Medicaid proposals that HHS Commissioner John Stephen has been trying to institute since being appointed by Craig Benson. See what he is proposing on keeping people at home.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 05, 2005, 06:00 AM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 05, 2005, 03:32 AM NHFT
How about a protest related to forced institutionalization?

One Hundred ADAPT Activists Arrested at the White House
http://www.freeourpeople.org/aar/wdc03/rpt2a.htm

How about consetrating on New Hampshire.

Is forced institutionalization a practice of the government, or of private corporations?  I assume it's the government's doing.  If so, is it the fed or states doing it?  If not, we can still protest against the evil corporations of forced institutionalization.

Forced institutionalization includes government schools in my eyes.  ;)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 03, 2005, 10:07 PM NHFT
Obviously my opinion on what you all are doing (or not doing), is not worth much.? However as an "outsider", I was quite disappointed to have Dada Orwell not be able to answer my recent inquiry (on the air) about what Liberty oriented things were going on in NH.? We passed it off as summertime slowdown, but it still was a bummer to hear.? ?:-\? You guys had some momentum going for a few months there...

Take that however you want, as I am not there personally to make a difference.? I hope this is not percieved as a complaint.? It's not.? I still think you guys are doing more than any Liberty group around here, and I know your numbers are limited, but know that there are a LOT of people watching and wondering what's next.

We have been doing a lot this year!  We can only do a few civil disobedience events per year unless we want to be constantly imprisoned. :-\

This summer and fall, we've been practicing some very exciting strategies, such as directly protesting against and informing people about government schools and the alternatives, helping defend people from government tyrants, flash protests, expanded volunteerism such as adopt a highway projects, several anti-eminent domain protests, an anti-war protest, PorcFest outreach, and one of our forum members even moved into a home at the center of the Kelo decision.

Some of these strategies are successful at varying degrees, and media coverage has been completely random.  We've had some failures, such as Gard's show being replaced by neocon jingoist garbage, Salty's loss in court, and several protests with no media coverage.

Now, several of us are heading out to New Orleans in a few days or weeks to volunteer for the hurricane and flood relief effort after Jim inspired me to go (I subsequently inspired my Mom to go, a prior Red Cross worker, but I don't know if she will).  This will take a while.   :o  Others are offering their homes to the victims, at their own risk.

That's a lot of stuff!   :o

FTL_Ian

I'm not trying to rain on your parade.  I just want you to know what our perception was.  Dave is calling in weekly again, which is good, cause he was absent for several weeks. 

Surely there are newsworthy civil disobedience ideas that don't have a high risk of arrest, like the public burning of SS cards...

John

I can't be in Hampton on the 19th, but locals will continue to be reminded that something ROTTEN is happening in THEIR name.  I'll do another FLASH soon.

YOU may not here about it: I'm just "taking it to the street."

Michael Fisher

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 06, 2005, 08:04 PM NHFT
I'm not trying to rain on your parade.? I just want you to know what our perception was.? Dave is calling in weekly again, which is good, cause he was absent for several weeks.?

Surely there are newsworthy civil disobedience ideas that don't have a high risk of arrest, like the public burning of SS cards...

But arrest is the whole point!!!   :)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: John on September 06, 2005, 11:58 PM NHFT
I can't be in Hampton on the 19th, but locals will continue to be reminded that something ROTTEN is happening in THEIR name.? I'll do another FLASH soon.

YOU may not here about it: I'm just "taking it to the street."

Thank you, John.  I always appreciate hearing about your activism.  I need to get some stuff back to you when we meet again!

John

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 07, 2005, 12:06 AM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 06, 2005, 08:04 PM NHFT
I'm not trying to rain on your parade.? I just want you to know what our perception was.? Dave is calling in weekly again, which is good, cause he was absent for several weeks.?

But arrest is the whole point!!!? ?:)

No it isn't.  Getting the word out is.
I have never been arrested for any of my activism.

I sometimes like to take a different (sometimes-more-subtle) aproach.  People (these days) underestimate subtlety.

Some of us are building at ground-level and plan on staying at groung-level for the forseeable future.
Some of us must!
Not all of us will make it to the papers and TV, nor to Concord.  We don't have to.

Some of us aim to make Freedom as WIDE as it is Deep.
Not big on the sports talk here, but, You go deep . . . I'll go wide.   We/Liberty will win!

Most of what we do is immeasurable.  I would prefer that Liberty wins.
Dude, YOU GO DEEP!  I'm going wide.

Russell Kanning

I can practically picture being in a football huddle with John ;D

civil disobedience has different levels ..... we have been going low-key and making friends ..... part of the fun of that is that others can join you and not risk jail ;)

we will do some bigger things when something comes up ...... I could go for a good sscard burn

Lloyd Danforth

Michael Fisher

John,

Regarding a planned event of civil disobedience, publicity is the goal.  We've only carried out 3 acts of civil disobedience that I'm aware of, and 2 resulted in arrest.

But when it comes to any other type of activism, I agree that arrest is not the goal.  ;)

FTL_Ian

While an arrest can bring extra publicity, not being arrested when blatantly violating some "law" is a major win, especially if the fact that you weren't arrested is reported in the media.  That's essentially rubbing the state's face in the mud.

Russell Kanning

yea .... I would have preferred to not go to jail .... that would have been great 8)

Dave Ridley

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 27, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT
What do you think is the best act of civil disobedience a person could do in New Hampshire?

Bump

anyone got any new ideas on this ? 

my fave so far is the idea of serving of alchohol to an iraq war vet under 21

what are some others?

aries

Not getting a Real ID.

Showing a cop your FreeStateID (tentative) when he asks for ID/license. It will be supplied on completion of a drivers test equal to the one administered today, and police will be able to add points to it by giving a unique departmental code and the license number. It will be available to NH resident US citizens, with a birth certificate as the only "paper" required to get one. No electronic data stored at all, they can call in or electronically submit points on the license. You can already check for warrants/criminal history with a name and DOB, no system for that necessary.

If they don't like it, they can kiss our asses. I think it's doable.