• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Revolvers.

Started by Puke, January 06, 2009, 05:57 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

If I ever get back into shooting, I'm pretty sure it will be Blackpowder.

KBCraig

Quote from: Bill St. Clair on January 12, 2009, 05:16 AM NHFT
I don't know details about New Hampshire, but I'd guess that NH open and concealed carry restrictions cover black powder revolvers, too, It's not a "firearm" according to federal law, hence the background check and interstate shipping laws don't apply, but it probably IS a firearm relative to local carry laws.

The details are easy enough to find.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm

159:1 Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length. It does not include antique pistols, gun canes, or revolvers. An antique pistol, gun cane, or revolver, for the purposes of this chapter, means any pistol, gun cane, or revolver utilizing an early type of ignition, including, but not limited to, flintlocks, wheel locks, matchlocks, percussions and pin-fire, but no pistol, gun cane, or revolver which utilizes readily available center fire or rim-fire cartridges which are in common, current use shall be deemed to be an antique pistol, gun cane, or revolver. Nothing in this section shall prevent antique pistols, gun canes, or revolvers from being owned or transferred by museums, antique or arms collectors, or licensed gun dealers at auctions, gun shows, or private premises provided such ownership or transfer does not conflict with federal statutes.

So, no. An "antique revolver" is explicitly not a firearm for the purposes of carry, concealed or otherwise, so long as it doesn't fire "readily available center fire or rim-fire cartridges which are in common, current use".

Tom Sawyer

Thanks KB.  8)

Old school is looking better for me all the time. VT no law, within the law in NH for concealed carry when I am out and about. I just need to remember not to drive into Mass. ;D

AntonLee

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 12, 2009, 06:13 AM NHFT

just like when you were a kid huh?   ;D

Pat K

Quote from: AntonLee on January 12, 2009, 08:34 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 12, 2009, 06:13 AM NHFT

just like when you were a kid huh?   ;D

Well it was the only thing they had to hold
the Indian attacks off.

AntonLee

of course I say that and the first gun I ever shot was a black powder gun at the National Boy Scout Jamboree as a child.

grasshopper

I have a brass frame remington 1858 revolver myself, nice little .44 cal boom stick.  You can hit anything with this weapon.  The origional point and shoot.
   I also have an sp 101, with houg grips.  6 lb stocl trigget pull with the hammer back, not too bad.
  It ismy carry gun, fits in anything, a fanny pack, belt, pocket; nuice gun.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: grasshopper on January 13, 2009, 07:56 AM NHFT
  I have a brass frame remington 1858 revolver myself, nice little .44 cal boom stick.  You can hit anything with this weapon.  The origional point and shoot.

Any trouble with it misfiring, fouling quickly or the percussion caps coming lose and jamming the action? Just interested in the reliability issues, if I needed to depend on it functioning in crises.

Lloyd Danforth

I was looking at a Pepperbox revolver the other day and noticed the caps were protected by a skirt. The only place you see a nipple is an opening where you attach and remove the cap.  I've looked at some images of pecussion revolvers and found none with skirts. It appears that the cylinder walls are so thick that the cap is tucked in pretty deep and is unlikely to get knocked off.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 13, 2009, 09:00 PM NHFT
I was looking at a Pepperbox revolver the other day and noticed the caps were protected by a skirt. The only place you see a nipple is an opening where you attach and remove the cap.  I've looked at some images of pecussion revolvers and found none with skirts. It appears that the cylinder walls are so thick that the cap is tucked in pretty deep and is unlikely to get knocked off.

The guard is there to prevent anything from contacting the copper cap, causing an unwanted discharge.

The barrel on the pictured Pepperbox is a modern replacement.  The original barrels would have had better access to the nipples, for easy cleaning and loading.
The shield would probably add to the jamming problem that was referred to in the earlier VDO.

Lloyd Danforth

And.......yet still a fungun!

Jim Johnson

Pat McCotter

Ruger just announced the LCR - Lightweight Compact Revolver at Shot Show 2009. A 13.5oz 1-7/8" barrel .38Spl+P.

The Ruger Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR) is an evolution in revolver design and boasts the following features:

• Long-fiber, glass-filled polymer fire control housing helps reduce recoil.

• Aircraft quality aluminum monolithic frame with a black synergistic hard coat provides sturdy, rigid support for the cylinder and barrel.

• Extensively fluted 400 series stainless steel cylinder is lightweight and compact, but strong and durable enough to handle .38 Special +P loads. It is treated with an advanced form of Ruger's Target Grey® finish.

• Cylinder front latching system uses titanium components, optimized spring tension, and enhanced lockup geometry to ensure that the LCR's cylinder stays locked in place during firing.

• Friction-reducing cam fire control system results in non-stacking, smooth trigger pull for this double-action-only revolver.

• Replaceable ramp front and fixed U-notch rear sights.

• Internal lock is hidden unobtrusively under the grip and does not interfere with the fire control mechanism in any way when disengaged.

• Crimson Trace® Lasergrip® model offers the advantages of a laser sighting system.

http://www.ruger.com/LCR

Puke

Puke

I didn't know this, Ruger has a plant in Newport NH.
There's one more reason to like them over S&W.  :)