• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Obama

Started by Friday, January 08, 2009, 08:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Can you think a little bit about Rainey before you post Lloyd?  seven letters max.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 19, 2009, 07:14 PM NHFT
Can you think a little bit about Rainey before you post Lloyd?  seven letters max.

Finally!  Someone that understands!  ;D

Jim Johnson

In a former life I was a Blond translator.   :)

Friday

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: raineyrocks on January 19, 2009, 07:06 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 19, 2009, 06:57 PM NHFT
Is that clear to you now Rainey? 

A little, but then when Lloyd used a word like pejorative, it blew it all to hell for me.  :BangHead:
Thats what google is for.

jaqeboy

Obama says "Hit the Road, George"

Friday

Quote from: raineyrocks on January 19, 2009, 07:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 19, 2009, 07:14 PM NHFT

Finally!  Someone that understands!  ;D

Julie Brown - Cause I'm a Blond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNfZxgkH7k

Raineyrocks

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 19, 2009, 08:18 PM NHFT
In a former life I was a Blond translator.   :)

Gosh what missing one letter will make someone think.  I thought you wrote Bond translator, so then I thought what does this have to do with spies but then I re-read it.  :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 19, 2009, 08:57 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on January 19, 2009, 07:06 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 19, 2009, 06:57 PM NHFT
Is that clear to you now Rainey? 

A little, but then when Lloyd used a word like pejorative, it blew it all to hell for me.  :BangHead:
Thats what google is for.

::)

Raineyrocks

Hubbard

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 14, 2009, 03:50 PM NHFT
does humble beginnings mean he wasn't born in the white house or palace?

Humble beginnings from according to his grandmother, a place in Africa.

Kat Kanning

The propaganda's getting pretty thick out there...they have to keep telling us how much we approve of the new fuher.  ::)

Tom Sawyer

Come on Kat it is obvious...

Tom Sawyer

Barack Obama Isn't Superman, and It's Divisive to Think So
January 20, 2009 12:36 PM ET
By Bonnie Erbe, Thomas Jefferson Street blog

Can we get back to normal now? Can we get down to addressing the myriad problems that plague us? Can our feet touch the ground and our minds grasp reality?

Being in Washington this past week has been like living in a dream world where everyone's excited, happy, rich, starry-eyed, star-studded, and fancy free. This is nothing like the real United States, where stocks have lost trillions of dollars in value, credit is ridiculously tight, unemployment is at record highs, houses are being ripped out from under defaulting owners, and jobs do not exist.

The deification of Barack Obama has elevated him above the aurora borealis, beyond the Milky Way, and to points unknown. Whatever goes up must come down, and when he does, the crash could be atomic.

I see two potential disasters emanating from this fantasy state. First, it could strain race relations to a point where they have not been for years. Second, overblown expectations for a completely untested president could crash and squander his immense public support much more quickly than might otherwise occur.

On the race front, I'm not sure whether to blame the media, the Democrats, African-Americans, or all Americans, but to many people, the constant allusions to President Obama fulfilling Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream and some people's claim that he is "our man" serve to deepen racial divisions, not erase them, as Obama himself has sought to do. In the words of columnist and author Mitch Albom, on the meaning of Inauguration Day:

If you're happy because Obama is half-black, and now black issues will be moved to the forefront—then today is nothing to celebrate, because you are breaking things down by race, and once you do that, it doesn't matter which color you prefer, it's still myopic, and it's not unity.

I had a frank discussion about race and Obama's inauguration with a close African-American friend. She explained that because white people did not suffer through slavery, we could not possibly understand the way African-Americans feel about President Obama's historic win. She added that, for the first time in her life, she felt being African-American was an advantage rather than a disadvantage, and "that feels good."

I would never prejudge how it feels to be a member of any group to which I do not belong. But I do know if any other ethnic group (Hispanics, Latinos, Jews, Italians, Arabs, etc.) were celebrating in similar fashion, nonmembers would feel excluded and divided. What we all need to feel now is united.