• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Amazon watch deals.

Started by Puke, December 16, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Quote from: MattLeft on December 18, 2008, 09:48 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat McCotter on December 18, 2008, 02:16 AM NHFT

I was going to delete this after writing it because that's what I was taught to do with off the cuff rants, but...

I'm glad you didn't.  People need a good reality bitch-slapping every now and again.  I shall think on your words.

Thank you for taking it so well, Matt.

A nice watch is a joy to hold and wear. It's just a major inconvenience when doing all kinds of work. The only jewelry I wear is my wedding ring and that goes in my wallet when I do electrical or snag-prone work.

Most of the work I have done did not involve being somewhere at a certain time, just getting the job done safely and efficiently.

Puke

Quote from: AntonLee on December 18, 2008, 09:57 PM NHFT
most people use their cell phones to tell the time now. . . watches are in my opinion a fashion piece.

That's true, but I hate carrying a phone. So many times I'm without a time piece.
I'm the type that is obsessed with knowing the time.

KBCraig

When I was in the Army in the '80s, I found myself so obsessed with time that it was actually making me sick. So many things to do, on such a tight schedule, that I was checking my watch every thirty seconds.

Solution? I quit wearing a watch.

Result? I found that I kept my schedule much better. Instead of constantly evaluating my tasks and priorities and juggling my schedule, I started the day with a rough guide of what I needed to have done by what time. I would work through most tasks to completion ahead of schedule and then start on the next one. My overall time management was greatly improved, and instead of blowing in at the last second (or late), I was on time or even early.

As a bonus, I learned to fix in my mind what the day's date was, rather than instinctively looking at my watch every time I wrote the date.

Whether I wear a watch now depends on what job I'm doing. If I'm primarily going to be at a desk working on a computer, I don't bother. Not only would I just take it off because it's irritating to be on a keyboard while wearing a watch, the computer constantly displays the time for me.

As for longevity, I still have the Casio Databank watch I wore in the Army. It wasn't expensive at less than 30 bucks from the PX. It was very handy for storing numbers and info... if anyone needs to know the combination for the Red Team locks to the NRAS vault at 1/11 ACR, Fulda, in 1988, just let me know.  ;)

I have several other watches now, none of them over $30. I prefer analog over digital; I think my Timex was $26.

porcupine kate

I'm one of the few people I know who regularly wears a watch. 
This is very handy at events like Porc Fest since cell phone batteries don't last nearly as long as watch batteries.

neggy

I can't tell you how many cheap watches I went thru when I was still painting cars and bikes.

I was a stickler for prep, and finish, so I wet sanded everything before and after paint...
well when you keep submerging your wrist into a 5 gallon pail of water every 30 seconds or so..
it doesn't take long to ruin one. Ooooops!

I have had the same Casio WallyWorld 20 dollar watch for about 7 years now.

AntonLee

like 'captain america' said at the end of "Wild Hogs"

"lose the watches"

(that was also an easy rider reference)

FTL_Ian

I only miss my watch when my phone has no signal.   >:(  Why can't cel phones have a watch without a damn signal?

Puke

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on January 11, 2009, 01:14 AM NHFT
I only miss my watch when my phone has no signal.   >:(  Why can't cel phones have a watch without a damn signal?

They's in kahoots with Timex!