• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Your Dream Home - Architecture Thread

Started by Alex Free Market, January 09, 2009, 11:07 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Free Market

Okay, so many of us have at one time or another, dreamed about our ideal home.  No doubt you have dreamed about more than one type of home.  Sometimes we dream of a huge house that we only wish we could afford... probably bigger than we really need.... and othertimes we might wish for something smaller, maybe a really nice getaway or permanent live-in cabin.  While others simply have in mind an ideal charming little house that is more realistic to your needs.

This thread if for all things architecture.  I'm not really an architecture buff, but like most people, I simply have spent some time looking at various styles of houses, kind of wishing and hoping I could one day maybe get something like that.   I like a number of different styles, so in this thread, I'll post a number of different places I think it would be cool to live in.   It would be nice to see your ideal dream home, as well.

------------------------

One of the styles of houses I like are timber frame houses.  If I were to ever build a cabin, these are four different styles I find appealing.  These all come pretty close to my ideal vision for a house in the woods. 

The first two are more cabin type houses, whereas the last two are more traditional looking homes, but I also think they would be a great looking mountain home.

^^^^^ Since I live alone, I think it would be more realistic to just build a small place like the above house.

MengerFan

Alex Free Market

Ahhh.  Container homes.  I've been looking at those lately, also.   

They seem like a great opportunity.  You can probably get a used container cheap and then design it from scratch yourself, or one could probably seek out a good deal on a prefabricated container home.

Slap some really nice siding on these container homes, and put a vertical panel colored steel roof on it, and I think they look quite spiffy.  They especially lend themselves to the "modern look" insofar as the interior decorating.

Tom Sawyer

David Lee writes articles for Backwoods Home and has some innovated, cool approaches to building your own home.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/DavidLee/

AntonLee

not that it's a cabin or anything. . .I've grown quite fond of Bungalow homes: more or less the new england types with more of a pitch to the roof.

I guess my first love would still be the old New England saltbox that many people hate:

I have a few more types I'm fond of, one in particular that I have no idea what it is called.  I'll have to take pictures later.

lildog

I already have my dream house...

I just need the money now to finish everything in it the way I like it!

Puke

Those cabins are pretty nice, but I don't really like the giant open porch roof thing.
Those particular designs are too "busy" for my tastes.

There is a local contractor near Keene that makes log homes.
Monadnock Log Homes
I like this simple floor plan - http://www.realloghomes.com/floorplans/log_home_plans_pdf/03W0009.pdf
------------------
I like MengerMan's shipping container examples as well. That's pretty neat.

I've thought about building a home out of a steel truss building. Just put up the steel outer walls and then add drywall to one's liking on the inside. I envision a sort of giant garage and warehouse loft sort of thing.

Really, I'd be happy to just not live in a fucking apartment.  :-\

Friday

I can't make up my mind; I like too many things.  :P  I like classic New England-style houses, particularly phoofy Queen Anne ones with towers.  I also like modern architecture with high ceilings and lots of glass.  And recently I've become enamored of log cabins.  I think whichever style I wind up in will depend on whatever's the best price in an acceptable location at a point in time when my lease is about to expire. 

ancapagency

I've had the image of my dream home in my mind for many years.  It's actually pretty simple:  I'd like to get a big old barn, and renovate it on the inside.  Just one big great room, perhaps a bit sunken at one end, open kitchen along one side, and a half-loft for the master bedroom, with just a simple post and rope railing at the edge of the loft.

Alex Free Market

Quote from: ancapagency on January 09, 2009, 07:45 PM NHFT

.....with just a simple post and rope railing at the edge of the loft.

Code violation.   ;)

jerry

Quote from: Alex Free Market on January 09, 2009, 08:13 PM NHFT

Code violation.   ;)

Depends on which town in NH.
"VII. For any municipality which has not adopted an enforcement mechanism under RSA 674:51, the contractor of the building, building component, or structure shall notify the state fire marshal concerning the type of construction before construction begins excluding one- and 2-family dwellings"

dalebert

I'm attempting to purchase my dream home right now. If I get it, it will need a lot of work, but then I'll be pretty darn happy.

Lumpy

Quote from: dalebert on January 09, 2009, 09:43 PM NHFT
I'm attempting to purchase my dream home right now. If I get it, it will need a lot of work, but then I'll be pretty darn happy.
Never never never postpone your happiness...  but I know how you feel  :)

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Alex Free Market on January 09, 2009, 08:13 PM NHFT

Code violation.   ;)

There is actually a way to do it... just need to think outside the box.

Lloyd Danforth

Grafton is probably the best town south of the Notches for what you are looking for.  As long as you don't subsidize, you only have to jump thru some state stuff concerning  septic.