• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Your Dream Home - Architecture Thread

Started by Alex Free Market, January 09, 2009, 11:07 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

FWIW, a Freestater (Dan McG) recently became head of the Planning Board in Epsom.  Hopefully he can have a positive impact.

John Edward Mercier

Alex,
Building code and zoning are different.
A single family home in town X will have roughly the same building code regardless of the zoning.
But a commercial, industrial, or even multi-family will be limited to where it can be built with zoning.
While other zones like agricultural or conservation might require much larger lot sizes.
Flood plains are really a PIA, have federal implications... and that is usually why the land is so cheap.

ancapagency

Quote from: Alex Free Market on January 09, 2009, 08:13 PM NHFT
Quote from: ancapagency on January 09, 2009, 07:45 PM NHFT

.....with just a simple post and rope railing at the edge of the loft.

Code violation.   ;)

What are you talking about?  That doesn't violate MY building code.  :)

Mike Barskey

I don't know yet what kind of house I want (although underground or partially underground sounds very appealing), but I know that my dream is to build it myself. I don't care about codes or laws - I want to buy a lot of property and build in the middle of it, so no one driving by can see what I'm doing or how I'm living. I'll do research and make sensible decisions regarding septic, energy, safety, etc., but what I decide for myself about my own property is sufficient for me - I don't need or want a government forcing me to do it their way, waiting for them to approve, and paying them all the while. If I make a mistake, I'll suffer the consequences - and survive them and learn from them.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 10, 2009, 10:45 AM NHFT
Grafton is probably the best town south of the Notches for what you are looking for.  As long as you don't subsidize, you only have to jump thru some state stuff concerning  septic.

Subdivide not subsidise

Alex Free Market

For traditional architecture, I really love modern style... albeit the term "modern" is now about 50 years old... It's typified by what architects thought a future house would look like.  Clean lines, flat roofs, lots of white stucco facing, but in particular large amounts of glass.... The interior of the modern style really rounds on the architecture and makes it what it is.  Inside is minimal furniture.... not a lot of 'nick nacks' laying around (however you spell that). 

The famous "Case Study" houses from the 50's have some nice examples.  Frank Lloyd Wrights "famous Falling Water" house is also nice....that one is kind of a hybrid style.

Log cabins are an interesting style.  I have grown a little bit fond of them lately.  I don't totally like the look, but some of them are nice.   The few I posted at the beginning of this thread are some of the nicer ones.

The kits are fairly inexpensive.  Here is one from "Lincoln Logs International" and its supposedly only $70k for the kit which is a 6,000 square-foot home.... Whatever the kit consists of, I'm not entirely clear... but looks like a good deal, nonetheless:

Alex Free Market

A few more minamalist designs I find interesting.   Not exactly the style for New Hampshire.... but... I like it anyway.

Actually, what I also find fascinating are some of the super small homes that are built in minimalist-modern style.  Some of the "prefab" homes are built on this style, and they are quite appealing.

^^^ Boso House.  The property is utterly God awful to the worst degree.... but if you filled the property up with exotic plants or load it up with other landscape and design features, it would be beautiful.

^^^ Open House by XTen Architecture:

http://www.contemporist.com/2008/12/16/the-openhouse-by-xten-architecture/

lildog

Quote from: dalebert on January 09, 2009, 09:43 PM NHFT
I'm attempting to purchase my dream home right now. If I get it, it will need a lot of work, but then I'll be pretty darn happy.

Dale, that's actually the best kind of home.  As you do the work you get to make things they way YOU want them, not how a prior home owner wanted them.  You get the chance to personalize it.

enloopious

Lumpy

Quote from: enloopious on April 04, 2009, 12:42 PM NHFT

I soooooo have house envy!

That is EXACTLY what I want to build here soon.  EXACTLY!

dalebert

Quote from: Lumpy on April 04, 2009, 12:46 PM NHFT
That is EXACTLY what I want to build here soon.  EXACTLY!

That's beautiful. I'd LOVE something like that too. I understand there are a few issues to work out in terms of making sure the structure can handle the weight of the earth up against it like that, but it's just something you have to consider and work out. I think there could also be water table problems, but I bet you could deal with that by setting up good drainage along the earth side of the house.

Coconut

Quote from: Alex Free Market on January 12, 2009, 10:54 PM NHFT
Not exactly the style for New Hampshire.... but... I like it anyway.

Maybe with fewer historical districts it would be in some places.

AntonLee

I LOVE historical districts. . . all the neat uniformity of the houses with their individual characteristics.  I only wish historical districts were voluntary.

Lumpy

Quote from: AntonLee on April 04, 2009, 03:36 PM NHFT
I LOVE historical districts. . . all the neat uniformity of the houses with their individual characteristics.  I only wish historical districts were voluntary.
I agree in full.