• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Warrant out for Mike Barskey

Started by ancapagency, January 15, 2009, 09:10 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

you have somehow popped up on their radar, like Ian. Maybe you have been been Freemanned.

Mike Barskey

Mike Barskey

Update as of 1/29/09 1:00p: I walked from my apartment to my car in my landlord's parking lot, stopping on the way to see that there were no cops in front of or behind my apartment building. I was going to move my car to my landlord's 2nd parking lot so he could plow this one. Wiping the snow off the car as it idled took a couple minutes. As soon as I got in the car, a cop drove into the parking lot and turned on his blue lights. He got out and asked from his car (maybe 15 feet away) if I was Michael Barskey. The Porc411 call is quite clear, so I'll leave the conversation details there.

The short story is that the cop dropped a piece of paper in my car (I did not take it - I have not even looked at it) and then left. As he was driving away, I saw another cop car behind him. I'm not sure when that 2nd cop car pulled up.

I did much better in dealing with the cops this time, but I still made some mistakes that I shouldn't have. This incident has provided me with another opportunity to pimp the PiMP My Activism seminar, and renews my desire to participate in it! I have been thinking of another police encounter many times a day for a couple weeks now, and I still did things I know I shouldn't have done. I did not present ID or registration paperwork, but I did tell him my birthdate, weight, and height. Why did I?

Instead, why didn't I ask him questions like "Why are you trying to identify me?" Actually, his response, as I now know, would have been "because I have to serve you this piece of paper." The next logical question might be what would happen if I refused to give identifying information, but I did ask "what will happen if I don't take your paper." In retrospect, I think I may have performed pretty well this time, but I still need to practice!

As much as I think about what I should do, it has still proven very difficult to actually do it under the stressful situation of facing an aggressor. I really look forward to the PiMP My Activism seminar!

Kat Kanning

Sounds like you're getting practice!  :)

TackleTheWorld

Where did this happen?  In order for people to come help they have to know where you are.  I know, it's hard to remember things when your brain is full of that toxic chemical the police produce, fear.

Mike Barskey

Good point. In my first "ping" Porc411, I said they were pulling me over in my parking lot, but I didn't give the address! I wasn't expecting anyone to come to help me, but it's definitely better to give an exact location.

FTL_Ian

If they didn't arrest you, it's likely true that there is no FTA warrant out for you.

Sorry to hear about the Freedom Fest "complaint".  What are they claiming, cause they had no case for the charges they were trying against Toby and I, and if KPD thinks they'll get less bad press because you aren't a media personality, they are sorely mistaken.

Tom Ploszaj

Mike, most of us need practice in dealing with "enforcers" that work in the "protection" racket that stop us about a "deal you can't refuse" from their bosses.  Indoctrinated in Corrupticut  I'm not sure I could follow the "encounter" crib notes I keep in the car as well as you done of the cuff.

Mike Barskey

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on January 28, 2009, 12:32 PM NHFT
If they didn't arrest you, it's likely true that there is no FTA warrant out for you.

That's what I would guess. It's hard to believe they knew about a warrant but ignored it. I have confirmation from someone trustworthy that there is a warrant for my arrest, with a $2K bail set, but that it has not yet been entered into the cop's databases (this was confirmed 1 week ago). So their behavior is odd (either ignoring a warrant, or not entering it into database). Whatever. :)

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Tom Ploszaj on January 28, 2009, 12:55 PM NHFT
Mike, most of us need practice in dealing with "enforcers" that work in the "protection" racket that stop us about a "deal you can't refuse" from their bosses.  Indoctrinated in Corrupticut  I'm not sure I could follow the "encounter" crib notes I keep in the car as well as you done of the cuff.

Tom, we all do indeed need practice! Thanks for the compliment. I think I handled it much better than I did last time, but could definitely do better. Hell, I even told the cop, "Thanks" as he left. What am I thanking him for? It never hurts to be polite - and indeed this cop was polite while he aggressed against me - but there is no reason to be thankful for being mugged. I think I did it out of habit; a habit I want to practice to change. :)

AntonLee

Mike Barskey

Ugh! The same trustworthy source that told me there was a warrant for me, now tells me that there isn't! I don't know whether this source is part of the cop game and their trying to trick or confuse me, so I have yet to determine if I will continue to trust this trustworthy source.

But this source also told me this:
QuoteBeing served does not require you to accept the paperwork. The officer can walk up to you, hand you paperwork, you not take it, and the officer drop it on the ground where you were standing and that would meet the legal requirements for service.

So as long as they put a piece of paper near me, I am responsible for doing whatever that piece of paper orders me to do. Yeah, that sounds about as fair as the rest of governance. I wonder why they made up the "served" rules at all. They made it so hard on themselves by having to put their paper near me. Why didn't they just make the rule "if we put your name on our publicly accessible bulletin board in the cop station, you are responsible for calling us to find out what we want to order you to do."

Daien

I just wanted to mention this, because you mentioned that perhaps practicing at PiMP would be wasted effort as it wasn't real.

Practice in a safe environment help because it allows the body to develop muscle memory. This is why people practice anything; martial arts, instruments, gymnastics, etc. When you use your body and mind together over and over in a practice situation, when faced with an impromptu real life test, the technique comes out naturally. That's my experience anyway, and so I fully support these PiMP sessions, and think they're an awesome idea. Good work Barskey!

ancapagency

Remember, when calling in to Porc411 any LEO activities: SALUTE

Size
Activity
Time
Equipment

How many cops?
What are they doing?
Where is this happening?
What agency are they with? (Keene PD, State Cop, Border Patrol)
Date/Time of observation
What do they have?  standard cruisers, unmarked cars, dogs, SWAT Team, barricades, etc.

Then add additional info as possible, and if possible, record any interaction just like Mike Barskey did.

Keyser Soce

Quote from: Mike Barskey on January 28, 2009, 01:20 PM NHFT
Ugh! The same trustworthy source that told me there was a warrant for me, now tells me that there isn't! I don't know whether this source is part of the cop game and their trying to trick or confuse me, so I have yet to determine if I will continue to trust this trustworthy source.

But this source also told me this:
QuoteBeing served does not require you to accept the paperwork. The officer can walk up to you, hand you paperwork, you not take it, and the officer drop it on the ground where you were standing and that would meet the legal requirements for service.

So as long as they put a piece of paper near me, I am responsible for doing whatever that piece of paper orders me to do. Yeah, that sounds about as fair as the rest of governance. I wonder why they made up the "served" rules at all. They made it so hard on themselves by having to put their paper near me. Why didn't they just make the rule "if we put your name on our publicly accessible bulletin board in the cop station, you are responsible for calling us to find out what we want to order you to do."

The only purpose of service is notification so that you can't come back later and say that you didn't know there was a hearing, trial, lawsuit or whatever. If you don't show, they'll feel justified to proceed in your absence. Your source is correct that it doesn't matter if you take the paper.

I have served papers by tossing them in through an open house window, placing them under the windshield wiper when someone refused to roll down the car window etc. If all else fails, they go to the judge and if they can show (judge takes their word for it) that you're intentionally dodging service he'll issue an order for alternate service and they'll just tack it to the front door of your last known address or as I posted a few weeks ago, notify you on facebook.