• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mutual Aid Society

Started by YeahItsMeJP, August 30, 2005, 01:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

JP has far too many personalities.  ;D

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on August 31, 2005, 11:46 AM NHFT
I wrote this in a private message, but was asked to post it here:

I envision a mutual aid society as a club, a free association of volunteers, who commit to support one another during certain situations. I don't see any need for the MAS to own anything like land, or a farm. Such formality tends to get in the way of the "mutual" and "volunteer" part of such groups.

The White Mountain Land Club is prospecting for a large piece of land to be jointly owned and parcelled out as the member see fit. That's great, and I wish them the best, and I'd even join up if the timing were right.

I think of our theoretical Porc MAS as a homeschool group on a larger scale. Bring everyone together, and each contributes what he has to offer. One teaches art history, one teaches music appreciation, another teaches improvised explosives. One teaches algebra, one teaches chemistry, another teaches advanced hacking techniques.

If the fur flies, the rarest commodity will be trust. Building personal bonds -- and knowing who can be trusted -- is required before any of the more serious work can be undertaken.

Kevin

Kevin, it's almost like creating a voluntary force for the spreading of a Libertarian life-style. People can either volunteer services, or announce prices for services for the things you mention above, and more.

Perhaps the ownership of a place is another, complimentary, piece of the puzzle to be entered in the same voluntary manner.

KBCraig

Quote from: AlanM on August 31, 2005, 11:15 PM NHFT
Kevin, it's almost like creating a voluntary force for the spreading of a Libertarian life-style. People can either volunteer services, or announce prices for services for the things you mention above, and more.

Perhaps the ownership of a place is another, complimentary, piece of the puzzle to be entered in the same voluntary manner.

I absolutely agree. And if the lottery cooperates, we'll have that land. :)

We're venturing off into Galt's Gulch territory here, where each person names --or accepts-- the price he wishes to attach to the product or idea that is his and his alone, and to offer up his product for the terms he names. And where his fellows are free to accept, reject, or counter-offer a different price.

Sometimes, receiving nothing in return except the assurance that you've equipped others to cover your back, is price enough.

Can't say that that's a bad thing. :)

Kevin

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on September 01, 2005, 02:45 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on August 31, 2005, 11:15 PM NHFT

I absolutely agree. And if the lottery cooperates, we'll have that land. :)

We're venturing off into Galt's Gulch territory here, where each person names --or accepts-- the price he wishes to attach to the product or idea that is his and his alone, and to offer up his product for the terms he names. And where his fellows are free to accept, reject, or counter-offer a different price.

Sometimes, receiving nothing in return except the assurance that you've equipped others to cover your back, is price enough.

Can't say that that's a bad thing. :)

Kevin

Gault's Gulch would be nice, but we do need a place of safety, if things fall apart. I definitely agree with you about helping folks be equipped to cover your back. Yet sometimes people need a little something by way of remuneration so they can pay their way in this world. Nothing wrong with that. Building a network of trust and cooperation is what it is all about.

citizen_142002

I don't really see how the two things are of much relation. A militia is a voluntary citizen military force. When a militia is distinguished from aid agencies, because it is primarily a war making organization.
A mutual aid society sounds like a great idea, but it is in no way a militia. An MAS is not a substitute for a militia. It is way for a group to sustain itself through tough times and survive. It is not an adequate response to tyranical oppression or innitiation of force by a government or armed faction.

The purpose of these two things are quite different. A militia exists to protect and keep free the citizens that maintain it, this is true, but as I said this means putting oneself in harms way by engaging an enemy.

I am not arguing that modern militias should not help in a non-combatant capacity when disaster strikes. In fact I believe that this is a most important role of a modern militia; it does what most people think the national guard is there for. I am arguing that to be considered a militia, an organization must be at its core, a combat ready force.

I'm not trying to torpedo the idea guys, I just wanted to make my position on what a militia is clear. In the end, if one is concerned about the backlash involved in forming/maintaining a militia, then it is best one not belong to one. If someone doesn't have the stones to say "I belong to a militia because it is necessary to defend our liberty, and our liberty is worth defending even until death", then that is someone who will be of absolutely no use beside me when the bullets are flying.
"Live Free or Die"

Kat Kanning

You might check out the freedom friend's tuath.  Same basic idea.  http://www.freewebs.com/freedomfriendstuath/

Dreepa

Quote from: lawofattraction on March 10, 2006, 08:35 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jim C. Perry on August 31, 2005, 02:16 PM NHFT
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/masnh/

I joined this group today but it appears to be dead. Is there still any interest in this idea?

I think that this is one of Jim Perry's 1000 yahoo groups.

cathleeninnh

The biggest drawback to the tuath is the lack of proximity. But we very definately help each other. The focus has to be on people and relationships, not problem resolution. The key is voluntary association. I like intentional communities. It would bring proximity and strengthen ZAP based relationships.

Cathleen

Fluff and Stuff

There is also the Free Talk Live AMPers.  We help each other but are not swore to do so.  For example, I sent Tracy tons of music and another AMPer a cool FSP magnet that I made.  An AMPer gave me advice on mints when I was looking to buy some metals and sent me a FSM sticker.  Another agreed to teach me how to snow board and another agreed to hand over around $100.  Another send me a FSP DVD.  And I made up a FSP Flyer for another AMPer.

Heck, even the people on this forum help each other all of the time.

local energy

Mutual Aid society is a very good idea --- this is why I believe this group has a chance of accomplishing goals. 
Now this idea --- is it something that enough of us here believe in, to make happen.  How about a place where one can list their skills and set up interactive meetings ...... like others have mentioned -- I too believe rough times are soon to be on us.  It would be helpful to get something going before crissis time.  ------- The idea about some farm land or a wood lot seems like worthy goals. It wouldn't hurt to intergrate a rifle range and meeting house  ---- when people help each other, labor, meet, accomplish and have fun --- the bonds grow and we are all the better off......
One ruggard individualist can do alot but a bunch of them can do emense things........... I'm willing to join a revolution of new/old ideas---------chris

KBCraig

Quote from: lawofattraction on April 25, 2006, 01:14 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on September 01, 2005, 02:45 AM NHFTAnd if the lottery cooperates, we'll have that land. :)

Too bad you don't have a nickel for every time a libertarian talks about winning the lottery.

Hey, if I just had a nickel for every time I have talked about winning the lottery!  ;D

Recumbent ReCycler

A few years ago, I joined a MAS.  I got one alert, which told of a potential need for help, but a request for assistance was never sent.  I decided that it would be a good idea because a friend of mine was being forced off his land by the town he lived in without any compensation.  I offered to help him put up a resistance, but he didn't want to risk bloodshed, so he just left without a fight and moved to Montana.  I lost the information that I had about that MAS, but they have my number, and can get ahold of me if I'm needed.

KBCraig

My college fraternity, Theta Chi, pledges a helping hand to those who need it. The chapter I graduated from has been inactive for a decade, but the alumni still gather a couple of times a year, and we keep in touch through a mailing list and web forum that I own.

Just a few weeks ago, we received word that one of our brothers has been suffering serious health problems of his own, and his wife was in ICU. There's been a tremendous outpouring, even though we're a very small group. The brother and his family might still have to watch expenses, but they won't have to worry about medical bills or lost wages, and this is from a network of less than 100 alumni who stay in touch, many of them sporadically, and most of whom are not wealthy at all.

Social networking and true friendships really count when aid is needed. Whether it's a job, moral support, or cash in a crisis, people are more likely to give to those they know and trust.

I'll be leaving Thursday morning to engage in more of that socializing, at our annual informal reunion. When I was a pledge in Spring 1982, we had the first "Richland Rampage" at a primitive wilderness camping area in the Ozark Mountains of north-central Arkansas. This weekend will be the 25th Annual Richland Rampage, and we will continue our tradition of pretending we're still 20 years old and bulletproof, while roughing it and consuming large quantities of beer. Kinda like PorcFest without kids. ;D

On my way to PorcFest, I'll be visiting the graves of Theta Chi's founders, since this year is the 150th anniversary of our founding. Frederick Norton Freeman was born in Claremont, NH, and is buried in Plainfield. Arthur Chase was born in Bellows Falls, VT, and became publisher of The National Eagle, a newspaper in Freeman's hometown of Claremont. Chase is buried in Claremont.

Kevin

Atlas

Count me in once I've moved. (next summer or the following)

fourthgeek

I've been thinking about starting something along these lines myself.

In particular, hunting, fishing, foraging, building, target practice, gardening, cooking, and fighting (along with getting piss drunk and having some fireside chats if you'll excuse my foul language).