• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NEED HELP PLOTTING A TAX REVOLT

Started by anthonybpugh, January 28, 2009, 07:13 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonybpugh

OK, so here is the deal. 

My brother back in Cedar Rapids Iowa is forming a group to protest and resist efforts by the city government to increase taxes.  Huge sections of the city was destroyed, something like 25% of the city or something like that.  There is the economic problems.  The city wants to increase property and sales tax.  They also want an income tax.  The government is walking all over people there and people are pissed.   

To the best of my knowledge this is the single biggest collection of libertarians out there so I'm asking for any tips, suggestions, ideas and advice that you might have on this matter.  This isn't in NH but this can also be a good way to get some ideas and suggestions in practice. 

AntonLee

I wish you guys luck with this, and I hope it spreads.  I don't really have much to offer in terms of a plan or ideas.

Jim Johnson

Get all your people to sign a piece of paper.
Send a copy of the piece of paper to every civic leader and news outlet.

Piece of paper says:

We the undersigned are tired of your tyrannical Government.

List of abuses:

ect...

We're moving to New Hampshire to be with people who love Liberty. 

Jim Johnson     :ahoy:
      ect...

See Ya!

Free libertarian

Dress up in Indian costumes and throw all the tea in the harbor...

doobie

#1 rule: don't plot it online in an open forum.  Best advice I can give.

coffeeseven

Quote from: anthonybpugh on January 28, 2009, 07:13 PM NHFT
OK, so here is the deal. 

My brother back in Cedar Rapids Iowa is forming a group to protest and resist efforts by the city government to increase taxes.  Huge sections of the city was destroyed, something like 25% of the city or something like that.  There is the economic problems.  The city wants to increase property and sales tax.  They also want an income tax.  The government is walking all over people there and people are pissed.   

To the best of my knowledge this is the single biggest collection of libertarians out there so I'm asking for any tips, suggestions, ideas and advice that you might have on this matter.  This isn't in NH but this can also be a good way to get some ideas and suggestions in practice. 

There was a NH horse tax about to go out for vote. 300 angry horse owners showed up at the state house to protest. The bill's sponsor apologized and now the bill is DOA. That's the way it's done. There's going to be more and more taxes proposed as government fights to keep itself fat. We've just got to keep showing up with pitchforks and demand that they keep pushing themselves away from the table rather than stealing off of our plates. Soon they'll be svelte.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: doobie on January 29, 2009, 09:03 AM NHFT

I think being open and honest is a great idea.  You've got nothing to hide.

TackleTheWorld

Isn't it funny that sometimes people make and break their #1 rule in one stroke?

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: coffeeseven on January 29, 2009, 10:13 AM NHFT
Quote from: anthonybpugh on January 28, 2009, 07:13 PM NHFT
OK, so here is the deal. 

There was a NH horse tax about to go out for vote. 300 angry horse owners showed up at the state house to protest. The bill's sponsor apologized and now the bill is DOA. That's the way it's done. There's going to be more and more taxes proposed as government fights to keep itself fat. We've just got to keep showing up with pitchforks and demand that they keep pushing themselves themselves away from the table rather than stealing off of our plates. Soon they'll be svelte.

The committee chairs always breeze through the little revenue schemes first...
A registration here, a license there... or increases to registrations and licenses that already exist.
Then the committees discuss the budget requests... and finally the big revenue items that will be used to balance it.

Kat Kanning

When you hide what you're doing from your "enemies", you hide it from your allies also.  How can you have a widespread tax revolt if no one knows something is happening?

coffeeseven

One of my New Years' resolutions was to be more openly revolting.  ;)

Lloyd Danforth

"What a revoltin' development this is!"

Can anyone identify the origin of the above, without googling it?

Jim?, PatMac?  Alan?(if he were still around)

Becky Thatcher

Well, I knew it was William Bendix, but I couldn't place the show, kept thinking Fibber McGee and Molly.  So I had to google it... I used to listen to the radio program when I was a kid on AFRTS.   8)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: doobie on January 29, 2009, 09:03 AM NHFT
this forum was designed to openly plan revolt and for people to have fun, if you want to make secret plans .... please do that elsewhere

anthonybpugh

It is also difficult to do anything quickly if you insist on secrecy. 

Yeah, so far there is a meeting planned and I guess he is getting pretty good response.  The city is planning on having a meeting to put the matter on a ballot for March.  They want to get this going before any opposition can form.  They moved the city council meeting to noon from its usual time probably so that people wouldn't be able to attend because of work. 

I suggested standing on busy street corners with very large signs advertising the city council's meeting. 

So far I've suggested they stage a Tax Strike.  That would definitely make them sit up and notice.