• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kellogg to drop Phelps Over Bong Photo

Started by thinkliberty, February 05, 2009, 08:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

thinkliberty

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Kellogg-to-drop-Phelps/Lj2GJ_wW0UCJ3dzEEpI8Ww.cspx

Phelps is going to be dropped by Kellogg over the bong photo.

I am going boycott Kellogg over it.

Here is a list of the Kellogg brands I won't be buying: Kellogg's®, Keebler®, Pop-Tarts®, Eggo®, Cheez-It®, Nutri-Grain®, Special K®, Rice Krispies®, Murray®, Austin®, Morningstar Farms®, Famous Amos®, Carr's®, Plantation®, Ready Crust®, Worthington®, Loma Linda® & Stretch Island® Fruit Leather

dalebert

I don't know how much I'd expect a boycott to have an impact, but I sure as heck think we should be writing Kellogg.

Brandon

Here's there address:

Kellogg Consumer Affairs, P.O. Box CAMB, Battle Creek, MI 49016

and link to contact them:

http://www2.kelloggs.com/ContactUs.aspx

K. Darien Freeheart

Kevin M. Dean
27 South Jefferson St.
Apt. #2
Frederick, MD 21701
1-603-715-0742

Kellogg Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box CAMB
Battle Creek, MI

February 5, 2009

Dear Reader,

I am writing in response to Kellogg's decision to drop Michael Phelps as an endorser of Kellogg's products. I wholeheartedly object to this decision and hopefully will express why this decision will result in my refusal to purchase Kellogg's products in the future.

Let me first state that I am a former resident of Michigan. As a child, I attended the World Longest Breakfast Table. I recall having my picture taken near a large statue of Tony The Tiger. Especially considering today's tough economic times, it is not a small gesture that I decide to boycott a brand that I have quite literally know all of my life as a staple of the local economy.

Micheal Phelps is a celebrity endorser. His prowess as a great American athlete was trumpeted from the rooftops as he represented the people of America during the Beijing Olympic Games. While Michale Phelps represented America, it seems the Kellogg has rejected the very principles that America was founded on.

Whether or not Michael Phelps inhaled marijuana is of little concern to me. Personally, I choose not to use marijuana because the effects of this drug make me feel paranoid and out of control. However, I am a firm believer that rational, intelligent people should be free to make their own choices, even if I disagree with them. Micheal Phelps responded to this incident pretending to be ashamed and embarrassed, yet I doubt that is the truth.

In truth, nearly a million Americans are arrested and locked in cages as a result of the so-called "War On Drugs". The municipal, state and county police forces are quite content using force to put productive, non-violent Americans in jail cells (which are nothing more than glorified cages) because they choose to set fire to, and inhale the smoke of, a plant. Many of these American would purchase Kellogg's products, even if the weren't aware they were doing so.

The Founders of this nation said that "all men are endowed by their Creator [...] with Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness." When a company is built on the backs of American marketing, processing and patronage, I feel sick to my stomach to know that American businesses reject their customers simply because they choose to inhale cannabis rather than tobacco.

Normally, I consume products from Post and General Mills as well as Kellogg's. In fact, I generally prefer to grab a coffee and Brown Sugar Pop-Tarts from my local 7-11 before driving to work in the morning. Having read the ABC New article (http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Kellogg-to-drop-Phelps/Lj2GJ_wW0UCJ3dzEEpI8Ww.cspx) I will make a concerted effort to avoid Kellogg's products when making my breakfast choices.

I strongly urge Kellogg's to reconsider it's position on cannabis consumption. While I understand that Kellogg's has a strong market aimed at children and young adults, I think it is grossly irresponsible to single out the use of cannabis as more harmful as any other drug. Alcohol is responsible for many more deaths per year than cannabis, yet Kellogg's makes no concessions for alcohol use by it's sponsors. I simply ask that Kellogg's apply the same criteria to all of it's sponsors. If a sponsor consumes alcoholic beverages, and conducts him or herself in a dignified manor, Kellogg should continue to sponsor them. If a person chooses to smoke cannabis and remain dignified and reasonable, Kellogg should continue to sponsor them. Additionally, should a sober sponsor of Kellogg dishonor the brand, Kellogg should choose to discontinue their affiliation because of the damage to the brand and not the drug. I would wager that Kellogg's does NOT fire employees who have responsibly consumed alcohol while employed by the company.

I strongly hope that Kellogg's will regain my patronage by reversing it's stance on the stigmatization of cannabis use, and choose to re-endorse Michael Phelps as a sponsor.

Respectfully,

Kevin M. Dean

K. Darien Freeheart

AntonLee

I saw that last night, and I'm also writing telling them that I get high everyday and have Frosted Flakes.  I will switch to Cheerios.  Take that bitches.

Kat Kanning

That's it, no more Kellog's products for me....wait, I already don't buy any.

dalebert

Quote from: Brandon on February 05, 2009, 11:54 PM NHFT
Facebook group, for the hell of it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=64944766006#/group.php?gid=64944766006&ref=mf

I joined but I think a more descriptive name might be helpful, something mentioning Michael Phelps. Would be more attention-getting I think. Use his stardom! :D

Lloyd Danforth

Someone pointed out that Phelps missed out on an excellent opportunity as a Worldwide celebrity to Push for Decriminalization of Pot.
He folded. I'm not goona start eating rice krispies over it, though.

cynthia

Chris Brunner wrote a great "letter that Michael Phelps should have written", then included a link to the kellogg customer form. It was fun filling out, just took about 5 minutes... let me see if I can find Chris's page...

http://www.chrisbrunner.com/2009/02/05/why-you-should-boycott-kellogg/

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Kat Kanning on February 06, 2009, 07:11 AM NHFT
That's it, no more Kellog's products for me....wait, I already don't buy any.

I'm in the samee position.  Kind of like the letter I wrote to Mad magazine when they began accepting advertising, saying that I was sorry I'd let my subscription lapse, because I'd like to be able to cancel it . . .

thinkliberty

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 06, 2009, 08:28 AM NHFT
Someone pointed out that Phelps missed out on an excellent opportunity as a Worldwide celebrity to Push for Decriminalization of Pot.
He folded. I'm not goona start eating rice krispies over it, though.

If Phelps has enough support from this, the next celebrity won't be so quick to fold.

Brandon

Quote from: dalebert on February 06, 2009, 08:19 AM NHFT
Quote from: Brandon on February 05, 2009, 11:54 PM NHFT
Facebook group, for the hell of it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=64944766006#/group.php?gid=64944766006&ref=mf

I joined but I think a more descriptive name might be helpful, something mentioning Michael Phelps. Would be more attention-getting I think. Use his stardom! :D

Good idea Dale, consider it changed.

KBCraig

I like Balko's response:

QuoteThis would be the same company that for decades has been encouraging children to start the day by inhaling sugar by the spoonful. It's also the company that still proudly bears the name of the man who advocated yogurt enemas and pouring carbolic acid on the clitoris to prevent women from experiencing sexual pleasure.