• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

So I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my trial.

Started by AnarchoJesse, February 05, 2009, 10:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AnarchoJesse

I'll just being by saying that this thread is here so people can throw suggestions for me to consider, and shouldn't be a place that you authoritatively tell me what to do, or something like that.

Ok, so...

These are the ideas I've had so far--

• Attend either in a hat and ask others to as well, or attend in full tuxedo/fancy clothings regalia and ask others too as well- I'm sure you all understand the point of this, but I think the latter idea is a bit of a subtle way of mocking the premise behind the "rule". I figure I'll also make the case that I have no illusions that I will lose, so I'll instead just push for community service as a sentence, or maybe even just time served.
  • Plea No Contest- If I do this, I get to stay out of jail, away from that courthouse, and I get to fulfill an obligation I made to a certain female
  • Make a serious legal argument- The idea has occurred to me to use the NH Constitution against them, specifically in reference to Articles 4 and 6(http://www.nh.gov/constitution/billofrights.html). Basically, I would make the case that because I declined to remove my hat for moral reasons, and I was so ejected and treated as I as, the arrest as unconstitutional or at least in violation of the spirit of the NH Constitution.

Mike Barskey

It seems to me you can do #2 or #3 while also doing #1. The Tuxedo idea sounds fun and poignant. Maybe someone could fashion a shirt out of hats, so they'd be wearing hats but not on their head. Or how about wearing a shoe on your head instead of a hat?

If wearing a hat is not allowed, is wearing a masquerade-ball-style mask (the black thing that only covers your eyes and you hold in place with a short stick)? Is it allowed to wear earmuffs? A nose-warmer? How about a wig? Maybe one of those rainbow-afro wigs, or an old-style George Washington wig.

How about if you wore a baseball cap and stated that your reason for wearing it was Jewish law? The common understanding is, I think, that male Jews wear yarmulkas, but a baseball cap is similar to a yarmulka. Perhaps you could tell the judge that your yarmulka is missing and the closest thing you had was a baseball cap and you didn't want to piss god off.

Maybe someone could wear an actual yarmulka, which surely the judge would allow, and then you could say that you're wearing your cowboy hat (since you don't have a yarmulka) to respect the Jewish god/traditions since they're represented there that day.

Sam A. Robrin

Is there a possibiility that you (and even more pertinently, Charlie) could file lawsuits of your own?  Seems there are cases to be made regarding discrimination and false arrest, though you'd have to run it by a FSP-friendly lawyer.  It could tangle the weblines of the State somewhat.

Russell Kanning

If I was you ... I would tell them I am guilty of wearing a hat or do nothing at all and let them continue their show.
I also like the  hat in hand idea .... to show respect to the defendants and others.

Ogre

I like Russell's idea.  At the same time, I think we should find every possible religion that has a hat and get one of each to show up in court that day.  There can be one person wearing a Burka, one wearing a Yarmuke, etc.  What other religions require headgear?  Native Indian headdress?  Pirate religion?   >:D

dalebert

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 05, 2009, 10:10 PM NHFT
I'll just being by saying that this thread is here so people can throw suggestions for me to consider, and shouldn't be a place that you authoritatively tell me what to do, or something like that.

But I thought you were an impressionable child and we put you up to this in the first place?

Lloyd Danforth

If this is true

Free libertarian

Wear a Dolly Parton wig with hair about 3 feet high, fake knockers and a dress.  Call the judge "darlin" .

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Free libertarian on February 06, 2009, 08:17 AM NHFT
Wear a Dolly Parton wig with hair about 3 feet high, fake knockers and a dress.  Call the judge "darlin" .

That's funny, but it made me wonder what the judge would do if you did go to court in a dress. Will the judge discriminate against cross-dressing? You could wear a dress and a bonnet, so you could "respectfully" remove the bonnet. Or hell, maybe the judge will be so surprised/confused they won't ask you to remove the bonnet - then you could ask them whether hats re illegal or not. :)

cynthia

BillKauffman

If everyone's argument boils down to a critique of the social contract theory vs. voluntary poly-centric law, then why not coordinate efforts and have everyone who is being charged make the same argument - over and over and over?

Tom Sawyer

I think they will completely side step the hat issue and focus on the charge of disorderly conduct. Did the knit capped guy leave when told to.

FTL_Ian

I have a judge's wig (and robe) that's really chintzy if that would be of any use.  Can one wear a wig?

Lumpy

Sam A. Robrin

Knowing your proclivities, this poem has been going through my head all morning:

The Flag Goes By
by Henry Holcomb Bennett

Hats off!
Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums,
A flash of color beneath the sky:
Hats off!
The flag is passing by!

Blue and crimson and white it shines
Over the steel-tipped, ordered lines.
Hats off! The colors before us fly
But more than the flag is passing by.