• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

No offense, but that courtroom stunt was dumb

Started by joeyforpresident, February 06, 2009, 10:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulOtt

Quote from: joeyforpresident on February 08, 2009, 09:11 AM NHFT
Look, I have no problem at all with what you guys do, I simply have better ways to show my "disobedience" than pulling stunts that will get me tossed in jail.

I'd much rather work within the system, but I realize I'm going against the grain on that one.

Hey Joey,

There are many activists in NH trying different approaches to effectively reduce the size and scope of government. The NH Underground forums here generally lean more to the civil disobedience side of things, but not entirely. I don't wish for you to feel like you're going against the grain or you're all alone or anything like that, so just letting you know there are other forums where great effort is being made to work within the system, such as the NH Liberty Alliance, if that's more appealing to you. Obviously you're welcome to peruse wherever you like.

- Paul

BillKauffman

You can't then go into court and argue that the court has no authority over you.

It is logically absurd.

The only moral position you can come to is Lauren's. Pretend that the laws don't pertain to you and then when thrown in jail act bewildered (as to why anyone would force you into a cage), passively resist - smile, show only love & compassion for your captors and by force of your own internal conscience make them release you because they are equally bewildered by your bewilderment.

thinkliberty

Quote from: BillKauffman on February 08, 2009, 11:36 AM NHFT
You can't then go into court and argue that the court has no authority over you.

It is logically absurd.

Just like if a motorcycle gang kidnaps you and has a "trial", you don't want to say they the motorcycle gang's court has no authority over you. (at least the motorcycle gang does not pretend to be good guys.)

Is it logically absurd to tell thugs not to be thugs, if they are pretending not to be thugs?

What Lauren did was show them for what they really were and made them feel bad about what they were doing...

KBCraig

Quote from: Jan on February 06, 2009, 12:59 PM NHFT
Joey, are you going to become the new "Luke"?

Joey was "Luke" before Luke ever got here.

dalebert

I'm not equating a threat with authority. Plenty of us go into the court room under duress and then make our case for why it has not authority. My friend Mike was dragged into that court room in chains. I promise you, I had no desire to walk into that court room, but my I did have a desire to support my friend who was dragged there in chains.

BillKauffman

Quote from: thinkliberty on February 08, 2009, 11:53 AM NHFT

It is logically absurd.

Just like if a motorcycle gang kidnaps you and has a "trial", you don't want to say they the motorcycle gang's court has no authority over you. (at least the motorcycle gang does not pretend to be good guys.)

Is it logically absurd to tell thugs not to be thugs, if they are pretending not to be thugs?

What Lauren did was show them for what they really were and made them feel bad about what they were doing...

How do you know this - did they say this upon releasing her?

thinkliberty

Quote from: BillKauffman on February 08, 2009, 12:12 PM NHFT
Quote from: thinkliberty on February 08, 2009, 11:53 AM NHFT

How do you know this - did they say this upon releasing her?

You are right I take it back, they must have released her from embarrassment.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: PaulOtt on February 08, 2009, 11:26 AM NHFT
Quote from: joeyforpresident on February 08, 2009, 09:11 AM NHFT
Look, I have no problem at all with what you guys do, I simply have better ways to show my "disobedience" than pulling stunts that will get me tossed in jail.

I'd much rather work within the system, but I realize I'm going against the grain on that one.

Hey Joey,
The NH Underground forums here generally lean more to the civil disobedience side of things, but not entirely. I don't wish for you to feel like you're going against the grain or you're all alone or anything like that, ....
I do
We lean towards not siding with the thugs.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Jan on February 07, 2009, 07:30 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 07, 2009, 07:08 AM NHFT
Even though the thugs are wrong ... I don't see any reason to try and appeal to some sort of religious exemption  for a hat that is not important to you.
Just playing devil's advocate here...but couldn't the same be said about you and some of your "stunts" that landed you in legal trouble? 

Russell actually is religious.  Jesse made it up.  I wasn't impressed with the lying.  As I said elsewhere, I never said Jesse did anything wrong.

Do I have some sort of moral obligation to be impressed by what he did?

Russell Kanning

And some of us have no interest in setting up any court systems

Friday

Quote from: joeyforpresident on February 08, 2009, 08:19 AM NHFT
It's a lot like the Muslim lady in Atlanta who wouldn't remove her head scarf for "religious reasons." The courtroom isn't a mosque, so the judge was right to make her remove it.
I completely disagree with you.  The right to freedom of religious expression doesn't stop at the courthouse door.  

To be fair, they'd have to make Christians and Jews remove their cross/Star of David pendants; you know, if you flung one of those things across the room, you could put someone's eye out!!  

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Jan on February 07, 2009, 07:30 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 07, 2009, 07:08 AM NHFT
Even though the thugs are wrong ... I don't see any reason to try and appeal to some sort of religious exemption  for a hat that is not important to you.
Just playing devil's advocate here...but couldn't the same be said about you and some of your "stunts" that landed you in legal trouble? 

BTW, I actually support and applaud what you and Kat have done.  And, I feel the same way about Jesse.  If I had the balls I would have done the exact same thing.  Your comments just seem...well...almost envious/jealous????
When have I ever appealed for a special exemption from the governments rules ... especially for invented religious reasons?
Maybe it all looks the same from a distance, since we are both standing up to the thugs in a small way.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on February 08, 2009, 05:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: joeyforpresident on February 08, 2009, 08:19 AM NHFT
It's a lot like the Muslim lady in Atlanta who wouldn't remove her head scarf for "religious reasons." The courtroom isn't a mosque, so the judge was right to make her remove it.
I completely disagree with you.  The right to freedom of religious expression doesn't stop at the courthouse door.  
I guess it does. But maybe it shouldn't.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Friday on February 08, 2009, 05:17 PM NHFT
To be fair, they'd have to make Christians and Jews remove their cross/Star of David pendants; you know, if you flung one of those things across the room, you could put someone's eye out!!  

Well, "If thy right eye offendeth thee . . ."

Russell Kanning

hey ... now we are getting muslim bride ads

I guess Jesse was hoping to offend some people and it worked