• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

No offense, but that courtroom stunt was dumb

Started by joeyforpresident, February 06, 2009, 10:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I guess the judge was trying to place you in a category ... and you don't think like she does.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 09, 2009, 11:49 AM NHFT
since you are saying religion and morality are similar, with different names ... how did I mischaracterize your stance?

You seem to be going with this whole notion that I was dishonest or some such in what I said, when I would disagree that I was. Moreover, I suppose I should be more precise in regards to religion/morality: I think that religion is a group of moralistic principles premised  in the belief that a higher deity figure exists which has established those principles, whereas secular morality is a group of moralistic principles premised on observations of the universe around us. So, to be clear, while religion and morality are similar, the principles are what separate them and make them different.

QuoteI just mentioned that Kat was actually there, so she knew what happened, just like it is funny that Joey takes the newspapers account over your own. :)

The problem is that Kat is equivocating my views as somehow being dishonest in some fashion or degree.

QuoteSo when you said you had moral reasons for keeping the hat on ... what did you mean by that ... did you tell the cop ... did he laugh or just start handcuffing you?

I simply meant that I was under no moral obligation to remove my hat for him based on the ethics derived from self-ownership, and thus by extension, liberty.

As for what he did, I don't see how that is relevant, but he did cuff me.

QuoteI don't understand that last sentence.

Ignore it, it is now out of line because of my misunderstanding of the context.

dalebert

You didn't sound honest and it undermined your confidence. Just something to learn from for the future. When she asked for a specific reason I recall you asking her "Don't you understand the idea that your hat represents something higher than you." or something like that. I had no idea what you were talking about and I know you a lot better than Mrs. Crocker. It sounded incredibly contrived. If someone had asked me why you wouldn't remove your hat, I would think the most honest answer would be that it's a sign of respect for the courtroom that you simply do not have and therefore they are demanding you to lie by demanding you to show respect that you simply do not have. It is the same as being ordered to rise for the judge.

So I understand why Kat thinks you didn't seem honest.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 12:13 PM NHFT
I simply meant that I was under no moral obligation to remove my hat for him based on the ethics derived from self-ownership, and thus by extension, liberty.
so is that what you said to him or the judge ... is that what you are going to say to the judge?
That makes sense to me.

Kat Kanning

When you left the courtroom, the other victims-of-the-court in there laughed at "what an idiot" you were, BTW. 

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Kat Kanning on February 09, 2009, 03:58 PM NHFT
When you left the courtroom, the other victims-of-the-court in there laughed at "what an idiot" you were, BTW. 

If I cared what other people thought about such matters, I'd be a social democrat.

Russell Kanning

dont forget joey thinks it was dumb ... and he is going to be president someday

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: dalebert on February 09, 2009, 03:27 PM NHFT
You didn't sound honest and it undermined your confidence. Just something to learn from for the future. When she asked for a specific reason I recall you asking her "Don't you understand the idea that your hat represents something higher than you." or something like that. I had no idea what you were talking about and I know you a lot better than Mrs. Crocker. It sounded incredibly contrived. If someone had asked me why you wouldn't remove your hat, I would think the most honest answer would be that it's a sign of respect for the courtroom that you simply do not have and therefore they are demanding you to lie by demanding you to show respect that you simply do not have. It is the same as being ordered to rise for the judge.

So I understand why Kat thinks you didn't seem honest.

I don't think I said "your hat", but I was on the hot seat, so I may have slipped up. I'm not so quick on my feet when presented the situation like that, whatever-- I'm only human after all.

To be honest, all this criticism leveled at me from Kat doesn't seem to be constructive, but rather aggressive. None of it has a good god damn to do with what I did, and had I not known who Kat is, I could have sworn it was coming from the mouth of a vulgar libertarian or some such statist.

Did I play it out perfectly? No, but I never intended to play at all-- the battle came to me, and I tried to improvise as best as I could so I could just sit there with my fucking hat on so I could see my friend. I had bent over backwards already enough that day-- I was searched, put into a position where I was helplessly unarmed, and I was denied my right to record the going-on's of the court. If I'm to be berated for doing my best under such circumstances, fuck you.

Edit/Addendum-- That said, I'll just take the plea offer they gave me and go with a "No Contest". Heaven forbid I should say something wrong again, right? Wouldn't want to put myself in such a position as that again.

Coconut

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 05:31 PM NHFT
Edit/Addendum-- That said, I'll just take the plea offer they gave me and go with a "No Contest".

Are you really going to do this? If so, I will need to rethink my plan to attend your trial.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Coconut on February 09, 2009, 05:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 05:31 PM NHFT
Edit/Addendum-- That said, I'll just take the plea offer they gave me and go with a "No Contest".

Are you really going to do this? If so, I will need to rethink my plan to attend your trial.

Well it is obvious even folks here think my reasoning doesn't have merit, so why bother? I'll call the MDC tomorrow and let them know.

joeyforpresident

I was simply going by what was reported. I'm glad you guys are on here clarifying and discussing this issue, which was my entire objective with this thread.

Oh, and thanks Russell, for continually discussing me and my future presidential campaign.

Since I live in New Hampshire now (finally), you are one of the "rockstars" I have been wanting to meet. You're a legend. I admire your stances, though I don't agree with all of how you do them.

Coconut

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 05:21 PM NHFT
If I cared what other people thought about such matters, I'd be a social democrat.
Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 06:03 PM NHFT
Well it is obvious even folks here think my reasoning doesn't have merit, so why bother? I'll call the MDC tomorrow and let them know.

Yep. Kat speaks for everyone, and you'll let her affect your decision. I guess we see how 'morally driven' you actually were about it all.
Too bad, I was looking forward to it.

AntonLee

effing Presidential address tonight is bumping House.  Assholes.

thinkliberty

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 06:03 PM NHFT

You have a chance to show the monster exactly what it is. Please fight them in their court. I was hoping you would wear your hat to the trial

John