• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

No offense, but that courtroom stunt was dumb

Started by joeyforpresident, February 06, 2009, 10:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: Coconut on February 09, 2009, 06:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 05:21 PM NHFT
If I cared what other people thought about such matters, I'd be a social democrat.
Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 06:03 PM NHFT
Well it is obvious even folks here think my reasoning doesn't have merit, so why bother? I'll call the MDC tomorrow and let them know.

Yep. Kat speaks for everyone, and you'll let her affect your decision.

Aside from you and Jan, no one here really seems to take issue with what Kat is saying. This deafening silence somewhat leads me to believe that my actions and reasoning are in error, and that perhaps I'd be better off dying on a hill I picked on my own.

QuoteI guess we see how 'morally driven' you actually were about it all.

Oh, but what does it matter about morals? My argument was 'contrived', people said mean things about me, I seemed hesitant, and my actions stopped us from protesting at Mike's jail. Didn't you know that these are the more important things? These are the things that can make or break a peaceful change to a voluntary society, maaaaaan.

QuoteToo bad, I was looking forward to it.

Well, now I know for sure I get to see my female friend who is coming up for a visit and that I won't be in jail. I'll just stick to flag burnings and remaining a background figure, as per usual. I was content with this, why should I change it now?

Coconut

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 06:20 PM NHFT
... These are the things that can make or break a peaceful change to a voluntary society, maaaaaan.

No one thing will make the change you want. Say we go to court once every 2 months, which is the average for now I would guess. They don't care. They can deal with us 6 times a year. We need to make it once a month, then twice, then once a week. They have to be sick of us before they'll even think of leaving us alone. It doesn't matter if your fight is a hat or a speeding ticket or holding a sign or registering your car. They have to know we're not going away, and each small fight is part of that.

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 06:20 PM NHFT...I'll just stick to flag burnings and remaining a background figure, as per usual. I was content with this, why should I change it now?

Contentment is what got "America" where it is today. The lack of desire to change things when you can. Contentment means you're not looking to try harder. Some people seem to not realize that this fight will go one of two ways: It will fade out as people burn out, or it will get to a point where everyone willing to stick it out is going to face extremely uncomfortable situations. 93 days is just the beginning.

dalebert

Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 05:21 PM NHFT
If I cared what other people thought about such matters, I'd be a social democrat.

The way you're reacting right now speaks to the contrary. You shouldn't be concerned with what Kat or anyone else thinks, particularly if you feel passionate about this. If you're choosing what to do based on what other people think, you're sublimating your own will and failing to act on your full potential as an individual. I don't question your motives. I just expressed what I thought was constructive criticism. Personally, I'm not a fan of going off half-cocked. I'm a big fan of picking my battles carefully. I wouldn't do something that I know is going to get me arrested without being fully prepared for what I expect to happen. That said, I think it's pointless to dwell on what mistakes you made beyond using it as a learning experience for the future. I prefer to dwell on what the court did wrong.

You either think highly of Kat and can take what she says at face value and learn from it or you think lowly of her and don't care what she thinks, or maybe somewhere in the middle. Find that place and give whatever weight to her words you feel appropriate. Meanwhile, I think you should stop complaining about what other people think of what you did and search your soul for your own motives and defend yourself. Complaining about what people think doesn't inspire me to follow and support someone. Truth is the unstoppable force. Find it and speak it as honestly as you possibly can. That's the only way you'll find any passion for your words when you're speaking to Mrs. Crocker. Inspire me with that if you want me to support you openly and I'll be there with bells on.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: thinkliberty on February 09, 2009, 06:14 PM NHFT
Quote from: AnarchoJesse on February 09, 2009, 06:03 PM NHFT

Well it is obvious even folks here think my reasoning doesn't have merit, so why bother? I'll call the MDC tomorrow and let them know.

You have a chance to show the monster exactly what it is. Please fight them in their court. I was hoping you would wear your hat to the trial

If I change my mind in the next 12 hours, I am not so sure I even want to do this. I'd prefer to make my case and be done with it, so I can see Shaunna come March.

... in fact, let me put this out there:

I had no intention of being arrested or of doing anything fantastic during the past few months because I've been waiting for a girl that is very important to me to come up here for her visit before she moves come May. Some of you may think this is silly, but I've been without a family (or anything that fits the typical defintion) of any sorts for the past three years. I have a good chance of having a good relationship come together, and I don't want to blow it.

I want to have someone I love and care about meet me at the jail when I am released should I ever end up in there.

You people don't know how bad it fucking hurts to not have someone you can all up and tell them how much you love them, or to share your most inner issues without fear of them abandoning you. One of the reasons I can't handle such horseshit criticism right now is because I don't have that, and I don't have people I can turn to and lean on or look to for guidance. I've become used to the fact that you're simply political friends and allies, names on an internet board. The majority of you are still on at least good terms with your family, or you have family here with you, or some of you have even managed to create familial relationships with folks here.

I don't have that, and it's killing me.

Hell, that I even did this in the first place was huge, because I've been trying my damnedest to try and get my act together so people would be more inclined to want to be around me. That I was criticized for doing the best I could with what I had is just a bit much right now, and I think I'd prefer to try and focus on myself again.

dalebert

Jesse, are you home right now?

Actually can you come over to the Liberty Compound? It's quiet here right now.

AnarchoJesse

Quote from: dalebert on February 09, 2009, 06:46 PM NHFT
Jesse, are you home right now?

Actually can you come over to the Liberty Compound? It's quiet here right now.

I would, but I actually am trying to do things for LF, doing laundry, and cleaning this mess of a house. Thank you for the invitation though.

Sam A. Robrin

Well, this afternoon I was going to suggest that some portions of the discussion be tabled until things cool a little, as only after a clear idea of the outcome can we gain the perspective necessary for proper shoulds and coulds and Let's do that agains, and meanwhile, it all seems so unnecessarily rancorous and divisive . . .  But those things take time to phrase just so, so as not to cause offense and just contribute to what I was trying to diffuse, so I put it off.  Should have just gone ahead and said it.  Progress toward liberty always seems to get mired in petty internecine bickering, and it really needs to stop.
You did what you felt you had to do, Jesse, and if it could have been done better-- Well, what can't be?  Follow through, and I'll lend my support.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: AntonLee on February 09, 2009, 06:12 PM NHFT
effing Presidential address tonight is bumping House.  Assholes.
this tyranny will not stand

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AntonLee on February 09, 2009, 06:12 PM NHFT
effing Presidential address tonight is bumping House.  Assholes.

24 was on in its entirety, though. :P I'm sure Fox lost a few seconds of commercial income. Not because of the president going over time but because of Fox having to  tell us what the pres said. ::)

AntonLee

Sam A. Robrin

And, Jesse, listen to the February 9 Free Talk Live, where someone suggested a bounty (and kicked in the first $100) for civil disobedients to insist on a plea of "No Victim."  Something to think about.

FTL_Ian

To chime in to this discussion, I thought your stand was courageous and honorable, Jesse.  Kat should cut you a break.  No instance of unplanned noncooperation can come off "perfect".  Anyone waiting for the perfect moment will be waiting forever. 

Also, credit to you for responding as well as you did to the robed-one's interrogation.  Being in front of the robe wearer is no easy task. Even though we know they are just men and women whose shit stinks just like ours, we also know there are men with guns who will follow their every command.   This makes for a very intimidating experience.   I challenge your critics to put themselves in your position someday and see how well they do.

In regards to what you should do, it should be whatever feels most right to you.

Mike Barskey

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on February 10, 2009, 11:10 AM NHFT
Being in front of the robe wearer is no easy task. Even though we know they are just men and women whose shit stinks just like ours, we also know there are men with guns who will follow their every command.   This makes for a very intimidating experience. 

Every time I hear something like this - and I hear it often since we're all learning as we go - I think "hey, that would be a good scenario to practice at PiMP My Activism. I know you won't be at this one, Jesse, but maybe when we have another one we can practice spontaneous-edicts-from-a-judge as scenarios.

PaulOtt

Mike, am I correct that this currently scheduled seminar is full? 15 people is the max?

(btw, glad you're out and ok!)

Mike Barskey

I'm sorry, Paul, but this PiMP seminar is indeed full. The venue only has space for so many people. But PiMP My Activism seems to be popular, and if it turns out to be useful I'll definitely hold other seminars. And I'll hold them in different parts of the state so it's easier for different people to attend different ones.

And thanks for the "welcome out" message.