• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Parking fines being undercut by competition in Keene

Started by TackleTheWorld, February 13, 2009, 04:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

As motorists walked to their cars Tuesday evening they might have noticed bright orange tickets on cars in the parking lot.  They might have felt a bolt of fear that one may be on their own car.  Oh no!, there was a notice under the windshield, but it wasn't the bright orange package, it was a friendly white envelope addressed to "Good Motorist".  "You have crossed paths with Robin Hood", it says.  The parking meter ran out but, my merry men put in more coins.  Inside the envelope was self-addressed envelope to send donations to the Robin Hood parking meter fund.
Robin Hood of Cheshire Forest wont say how many donations he has received, but the response has made him happy to repeat his charity in the future.  "People shouldn't be driven out of downtown by the parking fines.  They just want to buy things and enjoy themselves, I say we let them", the unlikely twin of Errol Flynn says.  I'm hoping make downtown as friendly to motorists as the big franchise stores on the edge of town by enforcing Ticketless Tuesdays".

Pat K

K. Darien Freeheart

neggy

Colorado: Parking Meter Samaritan Threatened with Arrest
A Denver, Colorado man is threatened with arrest for feeding an expired parking meter.

Parking meterA Good Samaritan in Denver, Colorado was threatened with arrest last Wednesday for the crime of putting coins in expired parking meters. Stanley Yaffe had been helping out fellow motorists on 18th Street when a meter maid confronted him, claiming she would have him arrested for "interfering with the collection of city revenue."

After asking whether she was joking, Yaffe apologized and said he would not do it again and was about to walk away. "What makes you think I'm letting you go?" the meter maid said.

"We use the services of the Denver Police Department if there is any interference with the parking enforcement staff," Public Works spokesman Patty Weiss told the Denver Post. There is no specific law against feeding meters. The meter maid eventually released Yaffe.

Like Yaffe, Mayor John Hickenlooper has been upset by overly aggressive meter maids in the city and is doing what he can to help. Currently, he is offering to personally pay the parking tickets of anyone ticketed while trying to vote on November 7. He also used video of himself feeding expired parking meters in a 2003 campaign commercial.

Source: Random act of kindness begets meter madness (Denver Post, 11/20/2006)

neggy

CINCINNATI - The latest super hero to grace Cincinnati with his presence is "Meter Man", here in honor of the "meter-feeding granny" who was arrested in 1996 for feeding someone else's meter.  Meter Man appeared at City Hall Tuesday to urge that City Council declare every October 24th as "Random Acts of Kindness Day", a day when all local parking meters are free of charge.

Local FOX-TV affiliate WXIX showed the Meter Man feeding nickels into expired meters all over Downtown Cincinnati. He later admitted to reporters that he had been unaware of the new "10 minute button" feature, a button that could lead to a prison sentence of 6-8 months if pressed by the wrong person.

City Council was so moved by Meter Man's plea, that they have gone further, and budgeted every Sunday as "Random Acts of Kindness Day".  On Sundays, parking meters throughout Cincinnati will now be free of charge, in honor of the meter-feeding granny.

"We were so inspired by the Meter Man's proposal of a bumper sticker theme day, that we decided to continue it for the rest of the week," said council member Chris Bortz,  "In Cincinnati, Monday is now 'Think Globally Act Locally Day',  Tuesday is 'Support Our Troops Day',  Wednesday is 'Skateboarding Is Not A Crime Day', Thursday is 'Kill Your Television Day',  Friday is 'Visualize World Peace Day', and Saturday is 'Don't Let The Car Fool You, My Treasure Is In Heaven Day'."

TackleTheWorld

dalebert

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: neggy on February 13, 2009, 05:36 PM NHFT
Mayor John Hickenlooper has been upset by overly aggressive meter maids in the city and is doing what he can to help.

". . . doing what he can to help," my white bicycle!  Did he fire the meter maid?  Have her brought up on false arrest charges?  The "What can ya do?" resignation is the biggest obstacle liberty has in once again gaining a comeback.

bigmike

There's an episode of Jackass where a guy dresses up as the Meter Fairy and inserts coins into meters, expired or not. A parking enforcement agent threatens to arrest him.

Hey Pat K, how do you look in a pink tutu with a tiara and wand? ;)

Tom Sawyer

Pat K

Quote from: bigmike on February 14, 2009, 12:44 AM NHFT
There's an episode of Jackass where a guy dresses up as the Meter Fairy and inserts coins into meters, expired or not. A parking enforcement agent threatens to arrest him.

I don't think pink is really my color.

Russell Kanning

out of the many characters of the shire ... Robin Hood may be the most beloved

Puke

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on February 14, 2009, 01:10 AM NHFT
Quote from: bigmike on February 14, 2009, 12:44 AM NHFT

I don't think pink is really my color.

You should try Cerise

K. Darien Freeheart

When Ian got his ticket, wasn't it for the parking meters? How much are the government people trying to extract for each ticket?

[Edit - http://freekeene.com/2008/03/01/parking-tickets-and-the-consent-of-the-governed/ found it, $5]