• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Parking fines being undercut by competition in Keene

Started by TackleTheWorld, February 13, 2009, 04:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

http://www.keenesentinel.com/articles/2009/03/19/news/local/free/id_348104.txt

'Merry Men' save those in danger of fines

By PHILLIP BANTZ
Sentinel Staff
Published: Thursday, March 19, 2009
Locals calling themselves modern-day Robin Hoods are taking to the streets of Keene to save drivers from city parking fines.

White envelopes from the Robin Hood Parking Meter Fund began appearing on vehicle windshields in mid-February.

An accompanying note reads:

"Dear Motorist, You have crossed paths with Robin Hood. Your parking meter ran out of time, but my merry men remedied the situation with additional coins. May your future travels be uninterrupted by the Crown of Keene and his many sheriffs."

Internet postings indicate that members of the Free State movement are behind the effort to save drivers from potential parking fines.

"People shouldn't be driven out of downtown by the parking fines. They just want to buy things and enjoy themselves, I say we let them," one blogger identified as Robin Hood of Cheshire Forest wrote. "I'm hoping to make downtown as friendly to motorists as the big franchise stores on the edge of town by enforcing Ticketless Tuesdays."

Instead of paying a $5 fine to the city of Keene, people are asked to donate $3 to the Robin Hood Parking Meter Fund. Donations are not required, though.

"I don't think it's a violation of law if someone pays for your meter," Keene police Lt. Jay U. Duguay said. "But if you're parked somewhere for more than two hours, then it could be a violation."

Phillip Bantz can be reached at 352-1234, extension 1409, or pbantz@keenesentinel.com.

Pat K

Lloyd Danforth

"I don't think it's a violation of law if someone pays for your meter," Keene police Lt. Jay U. Duguay said. "But if you're parked somewhere for more than two hours, then it could be a violation."

Apparently the Lt does not know all of the laws, either!

Russell Kanning

robin hood and his men seek to do good not worry about laws

wouldn't the goal be to have cops ignore bad laws?

TackleTheWorld

TackleTheWorld

I wonder where they got the idea that Robin Hood asked for a $3 donation? 
The windshield note only says what is quoted there.  There is also a return envelope but it just has an address on it.

Kat Kanning

Did the photo have 3 dollars sticking out of the envelope?

TackleTheWorld

Lloyd Danforth

TackleTheWorld

Robin Hood of Keene got a letter from Jason Gerhard.  Jason's in fed prison in NJ for helping the Browns.  Thanks NHFP!
QuoteTo whom it may concern,
After reading the article about your good deeds in the NHFP this month I felt inclined to write you a short letter. Unfortunately, I am unable to send money at this time but would like to thank you nonetheless.  It is not often someone goes out and gives the government headaches while helping people in the process. 
There is one thing I'd like to bring to your attention and that is bringing more publicity to it.  This could be a problem if secrecy is an issue, but doing so may encourage others to spread the idea across N.H.  Back in the day there was a comedian who went ahead of a metermaid and filled all the expired meters. This was on MTV I believe. Anyway it was funny as hell, because the metermaid was gong crazy.  Having a town employees blow up on camera is always entertaining.  Something to consider if it is possible. 
Keep up the good work and maybe throw a NHFP under the wiper with the self addressed envelope :)
-Live Free or Die - -Jason Louis Gerhard

Mike Barskey

Excellent! Last week I saw Robin Hood going ahead of the meter maid putting coins in meters she was about to ticket. He even called out to her and told her to stop writing her ticket (she hadn't started to write, she was just getting out her pen) because he was going to put coins in the meter for that car. The meter maid said "OK" and did not write the ticket, but did warn Robin Hood not to put his envelope on the car (he did anyway). It was great. I saw him precede her down a long stretch of Main Street and back up the other side. And I was told by a friend that the meter maid was overheard calling the cops! No one "came to her rescue" though, and Robin Hood continued saving people from parking tickets. Too bad Jason can't hear of that. However, Robin Hood and his Merry men are working hard to make the parkers of Keene safe from parking tyranny and perhaps they will make the news again. :)

Kat Kanning

I hear that she also declined an interview opportunity to explain herself.

AntonLee

I think someone I know might look into this and see if there might be some sort of Robin Hood type event down at Hampton Beach this summer.  The Meter Fairy!

wheels spinning.  Anyone care to see a fat man in a leotard with frills, a cigar hangin' out of his mouth, and saving people from the evil parking demons?

Kat Kanning