• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH: Pledge refuser says school used force to make her stand

Started by Dave Ridley, February 15, 2009, 02:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Free libertarian on February 16, 2009, 08:06 AM NHFT
When I was in Jr. High (1971,2 ish) it was still common for teachers to "correct" students physically.  I being a generally good student never got that treatment except for once when I refused to pledge allegiance.
I wish I could say it was the beginning of my Libertarian thought but I really can't remember what my motivation was.  I got a history book smashed on top of my head by my home room teacher...that guy was such a douchebag...I believe I let him know that too. 

I was a high school senior ca. 1970-71, and was surprised at how my refusal to stand was simply ignored.  Even after the graduation ceremony, when they handed me the only-for-show, ribbon-tied sheet of rolled-up dummy foolscap and I pulled out a lighter and burned it, I only heard anything about it from one person.  Kind of disappointing . . .

shyfrog

This is to clarify some things to some of you who are unaware:

Eli was homeschooled from 1st grade to 7th grade.
She then chose to go to public school for two years.
It was not a good choice.
She chose to be homeschooled again.

Lloyd Danforth

I saw Lou posted and I though He's here to kick Donald's Ass!   NOT!

shyfrog

I'll leave the ass kicking in Eli's capable and deadly hands  :icon_pirat:

Lloyd Danforth

Although Donald made the mistake of moving town away from Grafton he is a good guy.  He is from GB I think. He and Eli could get together and talk about her 6th Form.

D Stewart

Quote from: shyfrog on February 17, 2009, 04:04 PM NHFT
This is to clarify some things to some of you who are unaware:
Eli was homeschooled from 1st grade to 7th grade.
She then chose to go to public school for two years.
It was not a good choice.
She chose to be homeschooled again.

Very cool.

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 17, 2009, 05:55 PM NHFT
Although Donald made the mistake of moving 1 town away from Grafton he is a good guy.  He is from GB I think. He and Eli could get together and talk about her 6th Form.

<grin>  Thanks, Lloyd.  Yes, for my sins I was a citizen of Great Britain and a subject of Her Most Gracious Majesty, by the Grace of God, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of the British Dominions beyond the Seas, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, etc.  I recall that when last I was required to swear an oath of allegiance to her, it didn't seem to me that the words were spoken lightly by any of my peers or without their due consideration of the oath's significance.  It's such a shame that US schoolkids are indoctrinated by this daily contrivance of reciting the pledge, to the point where a fair portion apparently don't even contemplate what it is that they are saying.  To be sure, when I was at school, attendance at morning and evening prayers was compulsory, but it never occurred to me to engage in any part of them in which I did not believe, and I would always omit the words of those portions of the Christian liturgy which did not make sense to me.

So do I gather that Eli plans to spend a year or two of high school over there?  Should be an interesting experience, although given the quality of her hands she'll probably not be allowed to bring them into the country ;)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Donald McFarlane on February 17, 2009, 10:36 PM NHFT

So do I gather that Eli plans to spend a year or two of high school over there?  Should be an interesting experience, although given the quality of her hands she'll probably not be allowed to bring them into the country ;)

I didn't mean that by referring to 6th form.  Just doing British education talk!

shyfrog