• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

IRS Rejects 501c3 Status!

Started by Michael Fisher, September 02, 2005, 01:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

tracysaboe

For somebody who doesn't like government and politics, you have a good way of completely ignoring a persons points and just reiterating the samd sound-bytes [read: you have a good way of sounding like a politician].

You still haven't heard me. If you don't figure out how to keep more of your own money, you're going to be paying taxes into the system and actually supporting it.  Ditto for all those people who do donate to you. Wouldn't you prefer that they can write it off their taxes so they don't need to support the evil system?

If you think tax exempt statis to help you keep more of your own money is like using government for person gain and privlidges, then your ideals are very self contradictory.  Both paying taxes, and not paying taxes are being "in the system" the most idealistic way to be in it, is to keep as much money as you can and to not be supporting it.  You'll be financially supporting the evil corrupt system if you don't have tax exempt statis. What do your "ideals" say about that?

That said, if you honestly feel you wouldn't be allowed to run your charity the way you want to, then that's a valid reason that I can stand behind.

Tracy

Michael Fisher

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 06, 2005, 02:13 PM NHFT
You still haven't heard me. If you don't figure out how to keep more of your own money, you're going to be paying taxes into the system and actually supporting it.? Ditto for all those people who do donate to you. Wouldn't you prefer that they can write it off their taxes so they don't need to support the evil system?

Not at the price of chains and slavery.

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 06, 2005, 02:13 PM NHFT
That said, if you honestly feel you wouldn't be allowed to run your charity the way you want to, then that's a valid reason that I can stand behind.

Exactly.   :)

Michael Fisher

I just called the IRS.  Our deadline to respond is now September 20. :-\

Michael Fisher

Quote from: president on September 06, 2005, 12:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 06, 2005, 12:44 PM NHFT
I will not partner with the government.? I will not violate my principles, not even for the greater good of freedom, and not even to save my own life.
When are you going to stop paying taxes?

In addition to my previous reply:

I hired a local tax accountant last year and we received about $3,000 from the government.? I think we made a profit from the government because of the startup expenses and low income of my small business.

My startup expenses were still pretty high this year, and my income is still low. Therefore, I'm doing the government a favor by not filing.? They get to keep the taxes my part-time employer has forcefully taken from me, and they don't have to subsidize my small business.

The taxpayers are subsidizing my business, and I'll tell my customers that (as well as my principles) as I explain why I do not file taxes.? My customers already know I'm an outlaw.? They don't seem to care.? Most are quite thrilled about it, as are my fellow employees.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 06, 2005, 01:40 PM NHFT
QuoteFind your path but dont rave at us for choosing one that doesn't support corrupt practices.

Figuring out how to keep more of your own money is not corrupt at all. 2ndly, I've donated and lobbied for others to donate to this organization myself, so don't be sitting their telling me I don't have a right to an oppinion. The more people we can get out of government schools the better, and if we can make 3 times as much money from being tax excempt that's 3 times more people we can get out of the system.

Tracy,
It's not the donors I'm thinking about when I look at this issue. It is the scholarship fund and the recipients I think of. The IRS wants to know all about the officers and board of the fund and wants to know all about the recipients. I want to keep the nose out of the tent before the body gets in.

Pat

Kat Kanning

That was my problem with it too, Pat.

Lloyd Danforth

tracysaboe

Quote from: patmccotter on September 06, 2005, 03:57 PM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on September 06, 2005, 01:40 PM NHFT
QuoteFind your path but dont rave at us for choosing one that doesn't support corrupt practices.

Figuring out how to keep more of your own money is not corrupt at all. 2ndly, I've donated and lobbied for others to donate to this organization myself, so don't be sitting their telling me I don't have a right to an oppinion. The more people we can get out of government schools the better, and if we can make 3 times as much money from being tax excempt that's 3 times more people we can get out of the system.

Tracy,
It's not the donors I'm thinking about when I look at this issue. It is the scholarship fund and the recipients I think of. The IRS wants to know all about the officers and board of the fund and wants to know all about the recipients. I want to keep the nose out of the tent before the body gets in.

Pat

That's understandable then.

Tracy

Pat McCotter

BTW, my automatic use of the nose in the tent quote reminded me of the story so I had to post it here:

One cold night, as an Arab sat in his tent, a camel gently thrust his nose under the flap and looked in. "Master," he said, "let me put my nose in your tent. It's cold and stormy out here." "By all means," said the Arab, "and welcome" as he turned over and went to sleep.

A little later the Arab awoke to find that the camel had not only put his nose in the tent but his head and neck also. The camel, who had been turning his head from side to side, said, "I will take but little more room if I place my forelegs within the tent. It is difficult standing out here." "Yes, you may put your forelegs within," said the Arab, moving a little to make room, for the tent was small.

Finally, the camel said, "May I not stand wholly inside? I keep the tent open by standing as I do." "Yes, yes," said the Arab. "Come wholly inside. Perhaps it will be better for both of us." So the camel crowded in. The Arab with difficulty in the crowded quarters again went to sleep. When he woke up the next time, he was outside in the cold and the camel had the tent to himself.

Russell Kanning

I knew you could figure it out Mike :D

Michael Fisher

So does anyone else have any thoughts on the future of the LSF?  Our IRS extension ends tomorrow.

I personally believe the LSF should stay the way it is now.  With next year's applicants, we can experiment with a full profile on the internet to raise money for them.  We could even run an experiment to have donors send funds directly to the family and, if that works very well, that could be our new mode of operation. :)

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

How many donation have you gotten where anyone even asked for a receipt, much less deducted the donation from their taxes.
Volunteering materials and time making and selling stuff is what will make up for any lost revenues.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 19, 2005, 03:30 PM NHFT
How many donation have you gotten where anyone even asked for a receipt, much less deducted the donation from their taxes.
Volunteering materials and time making and selling stuff is what will make up for any lost revenues.

None that we are aware of.  People have pledges thousands in donations if we receive 501c3 status, but I'm sure we'll manage just fine without it.

Agreed.  I like the idea of selling stuff, but then we may need a federal status determination or I think we may be required to file federal income taxes.  I think we need to talk to an attorney about that though because selling stuff is a great idea.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 19, 2005, 04:30 PM NHFTAgreed.? I like the idea of selling stuff, but then we may need a federal status determination or I think we may be required to file federal income taxes.? I think we need to talk to an attorney about that though because selling stuff is a great idea.

Why would selling stuff change anything? We don't need no stinkin' lawyers 8)