• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

IRS Rejects 501c3 Status!

Started by Michael Fisher, September 02, 2005, 01:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 25, 2005, 11:58 AM NHFT
OK, well you still sound like some leftist who doesn't understand the difference between corporate welfare, and companies simply forking over less of their hard-earned money to begin with.

The IRS "sees" it that way because they're goons who want you to bow at there feet. But the fact is getting 501c3 statis isn't an indirect subsidy. It's just all those other organizations that don't have it get their money stolen from them by the federal maphia.

You don't even know the difference between a non-profit and a 501c3.  You have no idea what you're talking about and your insults are completely uncalled for.

davemincin

Hey Mike...Just my thought, but believe you should make the motion to the board and go with the decision of the majority.
I see no real benefit to make the motion on this forum, unless we are opening up the vote to the underground. :)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: davemincin on September 25, 2005, 07:47 PM NHFT
Hey Mike...Just my thought, but believe you should make the motion to the board and go with the decision of the majority.
I see no real benefit to make the motion on this forum, unless we are opening up the vote to the underground. :)

There's something wrong with the e-mail addresses right now.? Web.com support is working on it.? Something to do with our alias e-mail addresses on an alias domain.? I didn't change anything at all, so Web.com must have problems with their system right now.? They're usually pretty good on reliability.

tracysaboe

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 25, 2005, 07:28 PM NHFT
OK, well you still sound like some leftist who doesn't understand the difference between corporate welfare, and companies simply forking over less of their hard-earned money to begin with.

The IRS "sees" it that way because they're goons who want you to bow at there feet. But the fact is getting 501c3 statis isn't an indirect subsidy. It's just all those other organizations that don't have it get their money stolen from them by the federal maphia.

You don't even know the difference between a non-profit and a 501c3.  You have no idea what you're talking about and your insults are completely uncalled for.

Well, you didn't hear me untill I did.

Non-profits don't pay taxes either as long as they don't turn a profit. and They're hyper-regulated as well.

501c3 gives people who donate to it the ability to keep more of their own money. That's not a subsidy.

Perhaps you should enlighten me.

Tracy

Michael Fisher

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 27, 2005, 10:49 PM NHFT
Perhaps you should enlighten me.

But the fact is getting 501c3 statis isn't an indirect subsidy. It's just all those other organizations that don't have it get their money stolen from them by the federal maphia.

You said that organizations which do not have 501c3 status "get their money stolen from them."  Therefore, you did not even understand the difference between a non-profit and a 501c3, but now you do know so you corrected yourself.

Or you did not mean to say that in the first place.  It's really hard to tell.

Regardless, 501c3 status is an indirect subsidy in my eyes.  Even the IRS refers to a 501c3 as an organization "subsidized by tax-deductible donations."  Just because it's not a direct government subsidy, that doesn't mean it's not a government subsidy.

We have several people who will donate more if we decide to stop going for 501c3 status.  We have people who have stopped donating because we said we were seeking 501c3 status.  These have some influence on me, I admit, but it's the principle of it that carries the most weight with me, and my principles oppose 501c3 status.

tracysaboe

Well, to me "getting subsidized by tax-deductable donations" just means that the people that donate to you get to keep more of their own money if they donate to a 501c3 istead where-as they don't if the organization they donate to doesn't have that statis.

Personally I would rather all of my money go to you, then just 80% or whatever.

That said, again if you honestly feel that the government would control you more with that statis, then don't go for it. I can understand that. But I still think this "indirect government subsidy" argument is nonsence.

I'll certainly still support your organization however much I can regardless, but for me I'd rather give as little money as possible to the government then I have to. Where-as if you don't have it, I still need to give my money to the government.

Tracy

Pat McCotter

What are the reporting requirements of a "non-profit" as opposed to a 501c3?

Reporting requirements as to income, people running each and recipients of funds of each.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: patmccotter on September 28, 2005, 04:30 AM NHFT
What are the reporting requirements of a "non-profit" as opposed to a 501c3?

Reporting requirements as to income, people running each and recipients of funds of each.

For a small non-profit like us?  There are very few reporting requirements, just one annual financial report to the state.

I'm not sure about 501c3 status, but I know it's more than that.  For our 501c3 application, they wanted bios of the entire Board, personal information about recipients, and more.  All of this would be made public.

Russell Kanning

.... and then they might ask for more.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 25, 2005, 08:48 PM NHFT
There's something wrong with the e-mail addresses right now.? Web.com support is working on it.? Something to do with our alias e-mail addresses on an alias domain.? I didn't change anything at all, so Web.com must have problems with their system right now.? They're usually pretty good on reliability.

Now the entire lsfund.org domain alias is down and the only way to the website is www.libertyscholarshipfund.org.

Way to go, Web.com support!  Keep it up!   ::)

Kat Kanning

FSPinNY

I'm probably not the first to think of this, but my religion is ZAP (along with honesty, peace and integrity).  Why can't we start a ZAP religion and 'qualify' to become Ministers and opt out of Social inSecurity!  It seems to me to be a legitimate religion...
Brian
(sorry, off topic)

Lloyd Danforth

Yes, it is off topic, but, not a bad idea.  I don't think we should mix it with the LSF, but, maybe we could use it for something else.

pcwallis

This is nuts - I have been following this 501 IRS Bull Shit for weeks.  Do you realize this topic is up to 8 pages now !!  Forget trying to work with the government, they are not a business like mind - they only want control and your  money and my money.  Also, if you do not report the right  forms by certain dates so-forth - you are now subject to stupid illegal fines and penalties, and could end up in jail !!!!!!!!! 

People will donate money to your cause if it makes sense to them.  They do not have to always get a tax deduction - sometimes just seeing that you have helped someone is 100 times greater then a tax deduction, that could cause a tax audit.

KISS  -  Keep it simple stupid.  If your funding gets to complicated people will stay away from you and your foundation.  What your foundation is promoting makes alot of sense !!!!   

Michael Fisher

Well, I'll make a motion, but we're probably going to lose half the Board whether it passes or fails.   :(