• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

IRS Rejects 501c3 Status!

Started by Michael Fisher, September 02, 2005, 01:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

president

Quote from: katdillon on October 06, 2005, 03:37 PM NHFT
The LSF is not connected with the NHLA at all.
::)
Oh god, not this again.

http://www.lsfund.org/history.html
  The Liberty Scholarship Fund was co-founded by Mike Fisher of Newmarket, Dawn Lincoln of Winchester, and Michelle Dumas of Somersworth. The LSF was also co-founded by the Civic Action Department of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance (NHLA). Fundraising begins.

June 25, 2004
  At the first annual NHLA Liberty Dinner, Michelle Dumas introduced the Liberty Scholarship Fund and other NHLA Civic Action programs to a sold-out audience. Her remarks can be read here: LSF Introduction by Michelle Dumas.

A silent auction fundraiser for the LSF is held at the Liberty Dinner. Generous donations pour in from businesses all over New Hampshire.

Not connected at all  ::)

davemincin

Bite me He...She!!!!? As usual you always get it wrong??? ::) ???

The LSF is a fine organization...but is not associated with the NHLA...
Too, too bad...appears amoung your other disabilities, the inabiltiy to
read also sticks out!!! :P ::) ;D

president

Do you think you are better than me because I can't read?

Quote from: davemincin on October 06, 2005, 04:25 PM NHFT
The LSF is a fine organization...but is not associated with the NHLA...
I would like to know your definition of "associated".

Thinking you should tell that fucked up webmaster seth to fix the NHLA site.
Thinking you have a dead link:
http://www.nhliberty.org/civicactionremarks.htm

But you can find the info here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041024084441/nhliberty.org/civicactionremarks.htm
Last fall, when NHLA was still in its formative phases, Mike Fisher, then a resident of Vermont but who has since moved to New Hampshire, came to us with what we believed to be a brilliant idea. To create a scholarship - since named the Liberty Scholarship Fund - whose goal is to significantly increase the educational opportunities and choices available to New Hampshire children. To achieve this, the fund would channel donations directly to families wishing to take personal responsibility for their children?s education through means other than public schools. Mike Fisher and Dawn Lincoln, another founder of the Liberty Scholarship Fund who has also recently moved to New Hampshire, worked together with NHLA Civic Action to form and launch the Liberty Scholarship Fund in time to award our first scholarships for the upcoming school year.

Families applying to the fund will be eligible for scholarships of up to $1000 per child for their choice of non-public education - whether that means private schooling or homeschooling. While there are certain eligibility requirements that need to be met, a major requirement - in the interest of providing a hand up rather than a handout - is that we ask the applicant families to provide volunteer time to help promote and expand the fund so that it may benefit even more children.

After close to a year of hard work, I?m proud to tell you that recipients of this year?s scholarships will be picked on July 15th and we will begin to award scholarships on August 1st in the amount of $1000 per child.

Of course, I brought brochures and applications with me, if anyone here would like more information or knows of a family that would benefit from it.

But, most importantly, I am here tonight to ask for your support. We need your donations to make the Liberty Scholarship Fund a success and to provide scholarships to as many New Hampshire children as possible. In less than three weeks we will select this year?s recipients of the scholarship. Any check you write tonight will be channeled directly to a New Hampshire family who wishes to enroll their children in a private school or to educate their children at home but would be unable to do so without your support.

I would also like to remind you that tonight we are holding a silent auction and that all proceeds will directly benefit the New Hampshire families who have applied for a scholarship from the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Business owners and individuals all over the state have donated goods and services for tonight?s silent auction and I urge you to please bid generously for the auction items you are most interested in.

davemincin

Hey He-She...we getty up and go...with all of our imperfections...? Expect we often disagree, but
what we don't disagree on is drawing a line in the sand and working to make NH more free!

The know it alls like you are winning to be sure, but thinking we are going to change that! ;)

Keep living and quoting the past...too bad really, the future is what is important, not the past, but then
why would I think you just might understand that! :P

Kat Kanning

Quote from: president on October 06, 2005, 04:20 PM NHFT

Fine, in my haste to answer, I expressed myself sloppily.  The LSF is no longer a part of the NHLA, though it once was.  I sincerely apologize to you and your entire family for the obvious mental anguish the confusion over this issue has caused.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: davemincin on October 06, 2005, 04:15 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on October 06, 2005, 02:20 PM NHFT
but this is not the nhla
Actually the LSF ....
I was only referring to the thong comment ..... I thought he was posting to the wrong thread. :)
I can only picture DaveM in manly clothes and a beer in one hand. 8)

davemincin

Hey have to say. :P  After a few comments from the He-She...you guys start looking
better and better!

Dare I say! 8) :P ;D

president

Quote from: katdillon on October 06, 2005, 05:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: president on October 06, 2005, 04:20 PM NHFT

Fine, in my haste to answer, I expressed myself sloppily.  The LSF is no longer a part of the NHLA, though it once was.  I sincerely apologize to you and your entire family for the obvious mental anguish the confusion over this issue has caused.
An apology is not good enough. I want restitution.

The picture was for dave.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: president on October 06, 2005, 10:08 PM NHFT
An apology is not good enough. I want restitution.

OK, you got one 'applaud'.

Michael Fisher

Yeah, we're loosely affiliated with the NHLA these days.  One of our Board members (Dave) is the head of NHLA Civic Action.  The LSF was originally co-founded by the NHLA.

But the LSF is otherwise not controlled by the NHLA, and it's now an independent nonprofit entity with its own Board.  It has been for a long time.

I guess "affiliation" is subjective.

Seamas

I know that the decision has been made and it is in no way my intention to try and reopen this divisive issue.  I've withheld comment both because I saw how things were going and because I went over all this with respect to the FSP (not) getting 501c3 status.  Still, I'd like to respond to the sentiment expressed below in the hopes of explaining a few things.

I think a few people need to step out of their own shoes and think in terms of someone who is a potential large donor.  I'm fortunate and able enough to make a pretty high income.  This is a relatively new thing for me and something that will most likely come to an end when I move to NH.  Along with this income comes the fact that I have about 1/3rd of my marginal income taken from me via Federal income taxes.  I actually pay more in Federal tax than I _made_ any year of my life more than 5 years ago (and I'm no spring chicken).  Please contemplate that as if it were your situation and how you would feel about it.  Back to 501c3 - if a charity does not have 501c3 status I am giving $150 for every $100 that the charity gets and the other $50 goes to a government that I would rather starve than feed.  There are a number of freedom oriented charities that have managed to deal with getting 501c3 status including ones focused on 2nd amendment rights and eminent domain abuse. I'm very interested in these issues and will mostly donate to these charities.  To characterize my making a smart decision that furthers both my freedom and that of others as not being serious about freedom is nonsense.

To further explain this; back when the FSP was debating this issue I set up a charitable fund.  This allows me to donate money (and get the tax deduction) now, while I'm making it, and designate recipients later (as well as investing it so that it grows).  It?s a great option for someone who has a few windfall years and wants to use them to bank their lifetime charity.  Nevertheless, such a fund can only give money to 501c3 charities and that money simply cannot go to one without this status. 

Finally, as one might suspect, I have no respect for the ?you?re dealing with The Man and therefore not serious? argument.  What I have a lot more respect for is the LSF not wanting to deal with potentially invasive reporting requirements.  For what it is worth, the IRS can usually be backed down with a hardcore attitude and willingness to fight (their letter was preposterous) but the LSF has limited resources and there would be (potentially large) up front costs.  Toss into this mix how this issue is so divisive for the membership and I completely understand the lack of interest in such a fight. 

Finally, I think abandoning such a worthwhile charity as the LSP over this issue would be silly and self-defeating but I?ll just be another guy throwing the odd $10 into the jar and not giving the amount that I?d like to donate.
Quote from: AlanM on September 04, 2005, 10:08 PM NHFT
My feeling is that if people put tax deductions ahead of freedom, then they are not serious about freedom.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Seamas on October 27, 2005, 10:07 PM NHFT
Nevertheless, such a fund can only give money to 501c3 charities and that money simply cannot go to one without this status.

Finally, as one might suspect, I have no respect for the "you're dealing with The Man and therefore not serious" argument.
You might be surprised that the IRS does not force you to make "charitable contributions" to only 501c3. Ask your tax advisor. If he says no, then ask a different tax advisor. :)
You could also start a 501c3 charity or just give to one of those.

Maybe you should step out of your own shoes and just stop paying taxes. Are you ready for looking at life a different way? It is very freeing to no longer play their games and start crippling the beast. :)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Seamas on October 27, 2005, 10:07 PM NHFT
To further explain this; back when the FSP was debating this issue I set up a charitable fund.? This allows me to donate money (and get the tax deduction) now, while I'm making it, and designate recipients later (as well as investing it so that it grows).? It?s a great option for someone who has a few windfall years and wants to use them to bank their lifetime charity.? Nevertheless, such a fund can only give money to 501c3 charities and that money simply cannot go to one without this status.?

The (national) Children's Scholarship Fund is a 501c3, and it has a chapter in New Hampshire.? They give scholarships for private school, not homeschooling, and only to low-income families.

If you refuse to donate without being able to deduct your donations, then you can use that charity.

Children's Scholarship Fund New Hampshire

National URL:? www.scholarshipfund.org
Local URL:? ?none
Org:? Children's Scholarship Fund New Hampshire

603-934-6302 phone
603-388-1411 fax
Email:? csfnh@email.com

Be warned:  look at who's on the Board of the national charity before you donate.   :o

Kat Kanning